Thread: Any Unintended Consequences If One Prunes Gen5 Glock Slide Latch?

Any Unintended Consequences If One Prunes Gen5 Glock Slide Latch?

I have found it impossible to adapt to the interference caused by the right-side tab of the Gen5 Glocks’ slide latch. Yes, indeed, I am a lefty, when shooting Glocks*, and HATE this thing, as it interferes with my left thumbs’ natural placement, as well as the placement of the base joint of my right thumb, as it is placed for best support. Flagging my left thumb is disastrous, for consistent accuracy, and no other position works better for my right support hand. (My skinny hands allow a Glock to sit VERY low, in my grasp.)

Interestingly, neither of these things happen when I shoot right-handed, so, Glock’s idea of a lefty-friendly handgun is actually right-hand-only, for this lefty. My hands are not bilaterally symmetrical; my left fingers are slightly longer, and, my right hand, not aging as well, has been getting skinnier.

I would like to simply cut the thing off, but want to ask, please, if there would be any unforeseen, unintended consequence, such as allowing the whole thing to become misaligned. I am no engineer, and will not pretend to be one.

I am thinking that cutting just-enough to remove what protrudes laterally, beyond the slide, would be enough, without causing any issues.

If not for the G19x, I might have simply acquired a lifetime supply of Gen4 G17 pistols, and called it good, but I bought a G19x, and recently added a well-preserved Gen5 G17.

Thanks!

*I am naturally left-handed, and right-armed, a combination which has allowed me to rather easily be functionally ambidextrous with most handguns, to the extent that I actually chose to carry “primary” at 0300, when I was first able to legally carry. I have always shot Glocks notably better lefty. My right thumb, hand, and wrist have not aged as well as my left-side counterparts; therefore the shift in emphasis to my left side.
    Last edited by Rex G; 09-24-2019 at 01:05 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I Am Meaning The “Slide Stop Lever”

To be clear, I am meaning the Slide Stop Lever. I want to trim the thumb pad protruding from the right side of the pistol.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Did that (cut off thumb pad) on my old g35 gen 3 when I was using it as a USPSA limited gun, no problems in my case, several years and certainly > 10k rounds...

Sent from my TB-X704A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fatdog; 09-24-2019 at 04:02 PM.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

I trimmed the thumb pads off of my Gen 3's as well, and like @fatdog have had no problems in at least 10k rounds. I don't see why it would be an issue on the Gen 5, but I don't have a lot of experience with them either.
    Last edited by William B.; 09-24-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Trimming it should be a Non Issue.

Thanks!

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List