Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Biscuits!

Site Supporter
    I see these biscuit recipes and raise you:

Gravy.

Biscuits and gravy recipes ladies and gents, because heart disease ain't gonna cause itself.

Here's what I've got:

-1lb breakfast sausage
    -flour
    -milk

Mix the flour and the milk until the gravy is pale in color, add pepper if you didn't use hot sausage.

That's literally my mom's recipe. You just have to sorta sense when the gravy is right.

Serve it over your favorite biscuit recipe.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Name:  B5579835-0683-4B8F-B256-55576EC3DBE1.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  32.8 KB

For you healthier eaters here’s a free range egg.

I like my boiled eggs a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    What is your position on bacon?

I eat whole wheat bread and biscuits, my blood work is always good, Im thick, but doc says Im barrel chested with a lot of muscle mass (more so when I was able to work). When I checked, I was on the low end of normal range for body fat percentage even though the widely incorrectly used bmi said different. Am I missing anything with regards to bread and biscuits killing me on the streets or dirt roads?

Im a sourdough fan, with a secondary strong like for cornbread. Does cornbread qualify in the biscuit category?
    No it does not. Cornbread isn't bread. Just because somebody called it that in Texas in 1878 doesn't make it bread.

Bread (wheat) damn near killed the entire remaining population of Navajo. 1864.
    Last edited by Borderland; 08-25-2019 at 06:35 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Alright - Ohio boy whose family never made biscuits and I only made my own bread/banana bread out of necessity living on base. My boss just graduated from doughnut friday to homemade peach cobbler for a friday - that shit can't last.

Toss out your favorite recipe for biscuits.

Site Supporter
    My grandmother who cooked on a wood burning stove until the mid 50’s taught me how to make biscuits, and while I abide by her basic technique and ratios I do change up the ingredients (I don’t use vegetable shortening like she did).
    I personally prefer a slightly tougher and denser biscuit than what you get at most fast food restaurants and that’s what this recipe gets me. Also, if I’ve gone a few months without making any it might take a couple of batches for me to get my biscuit mojo back, but that’s ok.

I’m not anal about exactly measuring and weighing ingredients, though I go off the basic ratios of 1/3 to 1/2 cup of fat , 2ish cups of flour (usually self rising), 3/4ish cup of milk or buttermilk and a bit of salt. Mix your all your dry ingredients together and cut or mix in your fat of choice, keep the ratios consistent and you can mix different fat types, like vegetable oil and butter. Once the fat is thoroughly mixed into the flower slowly stir in milk or buttermilk until you can handle the dough without it sticking to your fingers. Take your doughball and gently press it out flat on a lightly flowered surface. I try to work the dough as little as possible, no folding or kneading. Cut out ya biscuits and place them on a pan, cook in an oven preheated to 450 for 15-20mins until they’re the a golden brown on top.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 08-25-2019 at 06:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    No it does not. Cornbread isn't bread. Just because somebody called it that in Texas in 1878 doesn't make it bread.

Bread (wheat) damn near killed the entire remaining population of Navajo. 1864.
    What? Everybody I know on the Navajo rez eats frybread.

OK, cornbread doesnt have to be bread I guess, dont know if thats good or bad. It makes great muffins and pancakes, and panbread or whatever one wishes to call it.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Alright - Ohio boy whose family never made biscuits and I only made my own bread/banana bread out of necessity living on base. My boss just graduated from doughnut friday to homemade peach cobbler for a friday - that shit can't last.

Toss out your favorite recipe for biscuits.
    Name:  C18E117E-56A3-4EA5-8137-837091D2FC54.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  31.7 KB

I preheat and cook them on a Lodge cast iron pizza pan. Bottoms are toasted just right and the biscuit itself is fluffy and delicious.

Freeze and grate the butter.

Southern Living cookbook.

Site Supporter

OK, cornbread doesnt have to be bread I guess, dont know if thats good or bad. It makes great muffins and pancakes, and panbread or whatever one wishes to call it.
    As a southerner I say that cornbread is bread, but when midwesterners add sugar to it it stops being bread and becomes an inedible cake-like food.

My only secret to making cornbread is to preheat your oven with your oil in the skillet in the oven, mix all the other ingredients together and then pour your heated oil into the batter, mix and then pour your batter back into the skillet and put your skillet back into the oven.

Frybread is good stuff!

I have been known to take the ingredients with me in my pack and cook it over a fire in the mountains when I am just out goofing off. Fresh frybread and coffee while watching a fire in the mountains is a pretty good way to de-stress.

Anyone make biscuits in a Dutch oven? I don't eat much bread but I'd like to try my hand at biscuits in one.

User Tag List