Thread: Ruger LCP Extractor Woes

Hammertime

Ruger LCP Extractor Woes

I bought a couple classic LCPs as back ups/training guns recently from Bud’s. Both shot amazingly well for
    such a small gun. Mayodan production guns.

Both have ejected the extractor within the first 100 rounds.

Name:  9BAE33D6-0831-4C98-9A7A-F96EB5C2A18A.jpg
Views: 1982
Size:  59.2 KB

On the first gun, I was able to locate the parts and replace them and it happened three times in 130 rounds. That gun went back to Ruger and should be back to me next week.

Second gun ejected the extractor at round 84 after shooting beautifully til then. I will send t back next week. Not going to bother with replacing parts.

What the hell is going on? Plunger, spring and extractor all look fine. Do they actually fix these or just put the parts back in? Is there a fix or a design flaw here?

If I had to guess, I'd say the problem is a run of bad parts. I've had no extractor issues with half a dozen LCP's over the last 6-7 years. Like many modern guns these days they're simply assembled (not fitted) from a parts bin so a run of something that isn't up to spec won't get noticed until the gun is put to some use.

Is the roll pin that retains the extractor still in place?
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Is the roll pin that retains the extractor still in place?
    I don’t think there is a roll pin on the mechanism according to the parts diagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I don’t think there is a roll pin on the mechanism according to the parts diagram.
    I'm sorry, had a brain fart ... I meant the little detent part that holds the extractor. I was just curious as to whether it (and the spring) stay in the gun when the extractor turns loose? The retaining groove/cut on the extractor itself is fairly shallow, so I can see where something being out of spec just a wee bit could be problematic. The fact that you had the same problem with two guns is suggesting a whole bunch of guns may be affected by the defect.

That’s disappointing.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    I'm sorry, had a brain fart ... I meant the little detent part that holds the extractor. I was just curious as to whether it (and the spring) stay in the gun when the extractor turns loose? The retaining groove/cut on the extractor itself is fairly shallow, so I can see where something being out of spec just a wee bit could be problematic. The fact that you had the same problem with two guns is suggesting a whole bunch of guns may be affected by the defect.

I just noticed these guns are four serial numbers apart so you may be quite right.

The spring and plunger typically eject with the extractor and are found within a 10 foot circle. Usually in front but I have found them behind once.

Personally speaking, I don't tend to lose too much sleep over aberrations like this because I've experienced issues with ALL the major brands. I test all my gear as best I can and I carry two guns.

User Tag List