Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old T Series Hi Power. What to do?

Old T Series Hi Power. What to do?

I just picked this up from a local dealer. A T Series Hi Power with a serial number in the 1965 year of production according to Browning's website.

Overall I think the pistol is in fairly decent condition. The grip screws aren't all jacked up and the grips aren't cracked or badly chipped although some varnish has flaked off and some of the checkering is flattened. The mag safety is intact and the gun appears unmolested and original. The recoil spring guide is the old style with the slotted spring cap. The feed ramp is humped but nicely polished.

The issue is the overall finish. There is some light pitting under the grips and general small spots of patina on many surfaces along with some holster wear. The frame's gripping surfaces are showing through and have some light rust.

Probably not a bad sample of a pistol that's nearly 60 years old but probably also not a fine collectible speciman.

So what to do with the old gal? My initial though it to have it cleaned up and refinished with maybe something like matte rounds and polished flats. Maybe, just maybe, have the feed ramp flattened and have a general action tune done.

Another option that might be fun and different is to have the above done but have a new serrated front sight installed and have a S&W revolver rear sight put on to accompany. Something that looks like it was done in the 1970s or 1980s.

And of course another option would be to make it a bit more modern. C&S extended safety, no bite hammer and Novak sights.

Any and all would be fun and interesting. What's the hive mind think?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 08-24-2019 at 03:03 PM.

Site Supporter
    Great Pistol.

For me, I do not own pistols that I cannot carry out in the world (nor do I own anything that nice.) To that end:

1. I would make sure it was safe and functioned well
    2. I would put sights I could see on it.
    3. I would put a hammer that does not bite me on it
    4. I would put grips on it that will help me to control the pistol
    5. I might refinish it with whatever was dark, cheap and would stay -Parkerization? Having said that, I love a gun that wears the patina of life.
    6. If needed-action work and tuning as needed to reliably function with a std pressure self dense load and it FMJ cognate
    i.e. 124 g Gold Dot and 124 g Lawman. I am completely good with 4 inch @25 yrd accuracy so long as it is 100% reliable when properly lubed.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 08-24-2019 at 03:16 PM.

I would do what I did with the last Izzy I picked up. Hardball 1911 sights (front serrated with a vial), C&S safety, action job less mag safety, cerakote, slim VZs.

Ignore Alien Orders

Honestly, I'd leave it as is. Now that the HP is out of production prices will start to climb. If you have to have an HP to tart up, I'd find a newer one with a cast frame (stronger than the forged), like a newer MkIII. Hang onto this one in its original condition. If you don't, you may regret it in a few years.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Honestly, I'd leave it as is. Now that the HP is out of production prices will start to climb. If you have to have an HP to tart up, I'd find a newer one with a cast frame (stronger than the forged), like a newer MkIII. Hang onto this one in its original condition. If you don't, you may regret it in a few years.
    Same here. Clean it up, lube it up, shoot it!

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    T series guns aren't really uncommon and nice ones are pretty easy to come by. I don't necessarily think mine will ever be a sought after collector's piece.

If the gun was cleaner I'd likely leave it alone and enjoy as is.

Better sights, new springs( see BH Spring Solutions), better grips(I find G10 gives good grippability) are my basic suggestions. If it shoots reasonably accurately and reliably with your carry loads of choice, and the trigger's reasonably decent, I'd probably leave well enough alone there. Possibly replace the safety lever if you have any struggles with accessing and using it. Cosmetics are whatever you like/want for weatherproofing. Best,Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Great Pistol.

For me, I do not own pistols that I cannot carry out in the world (nor do I own anything that nice.) To that end:

1. I would make sure it was safe and functioned well
    2. I would put sights I could see on it.
    3. I would put a hammer that does not bite me on it
    4. I would put grips on it that will help me to control the pistol
    5. I might refinish it with whatever was dark, cheap and would stay -Parkerization? Having said that, I love a gun that wears the patina of life.
    6. If needed-action work and tuning as needed to reliably function with a std pressure self dense load and it FMJ cognate
    i.e. 124 g Gold Dot and 124 g Lawman. I am completely good with 4 inch @25 yrd accuracy so long as it is 100% reliable when properly lubed.
    +1. For number 5 above, I'd pull the grips off, go over the gun with 0000 steel wool and light oil to get off the rust, and either put the original grips back on or some of the Pachmayr wrap-around grips if they're still made. And stop there.

Taken from another forum. This is a pistol that was somewhat similar to mine. A T series with some significant finish wear. The owner sent it to Ford's Guns in FL for a refinish.

Mine does have a couple dings that will need some attention but if I can get it looking like this I'll be darned happy.

Heirloom Precision and build a legacy piece.

User Tag List