Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Lee Classic Loader .38 Special: Plated wadcutter loads?

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    If you can go 3.7 gr BE with a 158gr LSWC or RNL, then as far as safe loads are concerned, 3.5 with a 148gr lead WC would logically be fine as far as pressure is concerned, but might not deliver as good accuracy as the standard 2.7gr load for the lead WC. Multiple books list different loads and maxes. You should probably start ten percent below what you want to load, and ladder up to that. IOW, don’t start with the max load in the book. If that’s 3.5, then load 2.7 and work up by tenths of a grain. With lead WC, stop when you find the most accurate and shootable load. The most powerful load you can possibly make with that bullet is pretty irrelevant for most uses.
    Seeing as how the goal is a good tolerable practice round for the 442, max load is opposite the direction I want to take. I am loading plated wadcutters and not lead, and neither manual seems to acknowledge the existence of such a thing, so I am concerned that might have an effect on pressure.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Seeing as how the goal is a good tolerable practice round for the 442, max load is opposite the direction I want to take. I am loading plated wadcutters and not lead, and neither manual seems to acknowledge the existence of such a thing, so I am concerned that might have an effect on pressure.
    Most plated bullet makers whose product I’ve used suggest loading them as if they were plain lead. In the case of wanting a pleasant practice load with a wadcutter, I suggest that you just load the standard 2.7 gr BE that has been used with great success for generations. I use that amount of BE under a 105 gr RNL bullet when I want a true mouse fart load.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Most plated bullet makers whose product I’ve used suggest loading them as if they were plain lead. In the case of wanting a pleasant practice load with a wadcutter, I suggest that you just load the standard 2.7 gr BE that has been used with great success for generations. I use that amount of BE under a 105 gr RNL bullet when I want a true mouse fart load.
    Exactly this. Lacking that reference load, I remember hearing a long time ago that the rule of thumb was to download 10% if a lead listing wasn't available.

User Tag List