Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lee Classic Loader .38 Special: Plated wadcutter loads?

Well a belated return to this thread with an update. First of all I would like to thank everyone for all the excellent advice, it really helped me dispel some of the misconceptions I had with getting started reloading.

Well after loading about 200 rounds of Rainer leadsafe DEWC , and a couple range sessions running them through the 442, with only one misfire caused by a not fully seated primer that fired on the second try, I have to say I am impressed with the results from this little kit and have to say it worked excellently and I have no complaints about its performance.

However. I have only loaded 200 rounds because the tediousness of the necessary process makes doing more than about 20 at time incredibly annoying. My lack of a good work area(or surface) also turns me into a pariah among my fellow housemates, as for some reason they dont appreciate my occupying the kitchen counter and and rattling the walls with my percussive industriousness. Thus my enthusiasm for the endeavor waned considerably despite the otherwise good results. However now I have a dedicated work area and workbenches to fit it, I will be following the predictions of many in this thread and moving up to an actual press. It's almost like some of you have gone this path before.

I'm looking at the Lee Classic Turret press as a good starting point to build around, again as has been recommended. That cheap little loading kit has definitely worked as a gateway drug to me spending a lot of money.
    Last edited by MandoWookie; 01-01-2020 at 10:43 PM.

Site Supporter
    The lee turret is a great starting press.
    I would also recommend getting the auto disk powder measure.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Well a belated return to this thread with an update. First of all I would like to thank everyone for all the excellent advice, it really helped me dispel some of the misconceptions I had with getting started reloading.

Well after loading about 200 rounds of Rainer leadsafe DEWC , and a couple range sessions running them through the 442, with only one misfire caused by a not fully seated primer that fired on the second try, I have to say I am impressed with the results from this little kit and have to say it worked excellently and I have no complaints about its performance.

However. I have only loaded 200 rounds because the tediousness of the necessary process makes doing more than about 20 at time incredibly annoying. My lack of a good work area(or surface) also turns me into a pariah among my fellow housemates, as for some reason they dont appreciate my occupying the kitchen counter and and rattling the walls with my percussive industriousness. Thus my enthusiasm for the endeavor waned considerably despite the otherwise good results. However now I have a dedicated work area and workbenches to fit it, I will be following the predictions of many in this thread and moving up to an actual press. It's almost like some of you have gone this path before.

I'm looking at the Lee Classic Turret press as a good starting point to build around, again as has been recommended. That cheap little loading kit has definitely worked as a gateway drug to me spending a lot of money.
    I run a Lee turret for .38 and 9mm. My volume has increased enough to add a Lee progressive to the mix which will be for 9mm, and the turret dedicated to .38

I highly recommend getting a digital scale, it's much faster, accurate, and easier to zero/tar than a beam scale. The frankfort arsenal one is perfectly adequate for about $30 on sale online or locally, about $40 msrp.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012713364?pid=175512

For cleaning, I've been a huge convert to wet tumbling, without pins unless you've got a really good separator. This makes the lead residue from the cases suspended in the water instead of in the dust of dry media, so you don't breath it in, but you also don't want to dump it down the kitchen sink. Flip side the cases are far, far cleaner and makes the rest of the process much much cleaner and more enjoyable as well.

Site Supporter
    I recently started up the turret press again. I also clean brass via ultrasonic cleaner and use a brass dryer.

It's not the cleanest setup, but running a case vibrator...or whatever...is loud as hell and I've got neighbors to be considerate of. Plus, throwing a huge amount of lead dust in the air in my apartment is a big nope.

I can do about 100 rounds in 30-45 minutes. So I'll listen to a podcast and fill up the ammo box on my off days. By the time my weekly shooting practice or match rolls around, I've got enough ammo.

If I were more competitive, I would consider a progressive, but my turret press is pretty efficient for the size (a consideration in my urban dwelling).

There are however, pretty size efficient progressive presses. If you will never load rifle ammo you could probably get a Dillon square Deal B. It uses proprietary dies though. And doesn't have a case or bullet feeder.

Let's face it, you'll end up with a progressive press anyways

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2012/...g-press-plans/
    For when you find a cheap press...

Site Supporter

Lee Handloader

I bought one of those Lee Loading tools back in 1979 or so to load practice ammo for a .38 revolver. That worked reasonably well.

I also got one to reload 5.56mm for an AR-15. That was a hassle, and an experiment I gave up on quickly.

I still have both of those guns, and I think (?) I still have the loaders and the powder dippers and all in a box in the garage.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    I was really hesitant about this guy : https://leeprecision.com/lee-reloading-stand.html

But it's honestly way more stable than I expected and fits in a corner really well. It holds one press on the top, holds my other on the bottom, and I've got 3 rails for akro bins in really easy reach. One day I might actually get some concrete slabs to mount underneath as it's designed, but it works fine as is.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post

Rather than a Lee Classic Turret, consider a Dillon Square Deal. It's literally 4 times faster than the Classic Turret. The only place where the Lee Classic Turret is better is in changing calibers. Otherwise, the Dillon is a superior product in every way. You can find them used on eBay, and when you're done with it, you can sell it for what you paid for it. Don't be put off with the Dillon proprietary dies. They work great, and have strong resale value. If/when you upgrade to a better press, you can go to regular dies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Rather than a Lee Classic Turret, consider a Dillon Square Deal. It's literally 4 times faster than the Classic Turret. The only place where the Lee Classic Turret is better is in changing calibers. Otherwise, the Dillon is a superior product in every way. You can find them used on eBay, and when you're done with it, you can sell it for what you paid for it. Don't be put off with the Dillon proprietary dies. They work great, and have strong resale value. If/when you upgrade to a better press, you can go to regular dies.
    SDB's a great press - and if we're talking entry presses the Lee Breech lock pro is worth a look to. SDB is $450 msrp, the Lee setup the same way is $225, and leaves room for a stand, chair, and components in exchange for having to manually operate the priming system (but also has a really cheap/nifty case feed setup available to offset that quite a bit).

Once the price starts touching a 650/750 and a case feeder, there's no reason to look anywhere besides Dillon. Below that threshold, I'd give the Lee an honest look after making a few hundred rounds this morning and 500 rounds last night on it (coming from a former 650/1050 owner).

Okay, so is there any advantage to this:
    https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISION...s%2C186&sr=8-1

VS this:

https://www.amazon.com/Cast-Aluminum...3JZ88AW0SCAHER

Besides cost is there a substantive reason to go with one or the other?

User Tag List