Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Springer Mil-Spec price drop

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    That's fair. Normally I don't get too excited about roll marks, but for the 1911 I can get picky. I share your dislike of billboards, but the SA roll mark doesn't trigger that for me. On the other hand, I thought Colt's various M45A1 roll marks (whether issue or commercial) were truly tasteless. The former only a Marine could love...

Agreed. Both variants seemed to indicate that Colt got more than a little giddy over "winning" the USMC contract. Kinda like a "18 year old's bad decision tattoo..."

A combination of "Look, lookee over here! We're really still here in the game!" and a Sally Field's "You really like me" rolled together...

Seemingly looking to be lit up in flashing neon (oh,wait, maybe that's what the stars are ever so subtlety allegorically referring to)...

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 08-24-2019 at 11:35 AM.

Site Supporter
    While this is a good price on what is apparently a good 1911, I wonder about the cost/benefit of something like this verses buying something with a beavertail grip safety with extended pad for certain deactivation when gripped, extended thumb safety, etc., even if the initial cost is a bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

That's certainly a valid consideration point, but the one time I can recall having an issue with a grip safety, if was immediately after a protracted period of use, practice and extended dry-fire practice with a double-column 9mm; I was at the first stage if an IDPA match, drew my Nighthawl Custom Talon II with a memory bump, aimed, pulled the trigger, and....nothing. Seems my strong hand was assuming the muscle memory grip from the previous pistol, and the grip had nicely avoided engaging the grip safety. I quickly realized what was going on, re-gripped, and drove on.

The ONLY grip safety that I think has near 100% effectiveness with most grips is Caspian's vertical bump, derided by many on aesthetics, and by some on the basis of comfort. I personally have had flawless results with it.

However, I'm also one of those who's also had flawless results with the OEM 1911 A1 "flat" grip safety-and even the somewhat aesthetically challenged Colt "duckbill" grip safety. My thoughts are that while the grip safety disengagement ergonomic/mechanical concerns are not invalid, but may be a tad less important than some of the premier after-market manufacturers would like us to believe.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    While this is a good price on what is apparently a good 1911, I wonder about the cost/benefit of something like this verses buying something with a beavertail grip safety with extended pad for certain deactivation when gripped, extended thumb safety, etc., even if the initial cost is a bit more.
    I think the answer depends on the plan for the pistol. If the pistol is to be shot and carried as-is, it makes sense to start with a pistol that has the type of safeties one prefers. If the plan is a full-house custom, starting with the least-featured model is preferable as it provides the most material for the smith to shape. The reason I find the new Mil-Spec so attractive is that it is comparable in price, while providing a barrel, than purchasing a new Caspian frame and slide ($460 is the least expensive frame/slide combo from Caspian), which is another great base set of parts for the custom pistol.

Site Supporter
    An example of a nicely done roll mark on a basic gun is the new Colt 1911 Classic. Looks like the markings from a pre-70 Series gun.

Springfield Armory's new minimalist roll marks would look better if they had placed them just ahead of the cocking serrations a la Dan Wesson.

Site Supporter
    I'd probably buy one of these instead of a RIA, which is very likely to be the market SA is targeting I would think.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Ugh, I'm trying to get my AR15's squared away and you jerks got me drooling over 1911's.

So it looks like the Defender Series is both a line of limited run budget oriented guns as well as a sales event. It started as a pair of XD's and now includes the Mil-Spec. Hopefully some of the other 1911's get the same treatment. Not sure what's different about the defender series other than calling it such and reducing the price but for $150 off there has to be something.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I don't know how they are keeping the price down, either.
    A cardboard box instead of a plastic case and one cheesy magazine* instead of two isn't going to make that much difference.
    Maybe they are just accepting less profit to increase volume in the slow Between Democrat Threat market.

*Cheesy magazine. A friend bought a RO to get 9mm and adjustable sights. It came with two magazines that looked like they were stamped out of Spam cans and worked about as well. I provided some name brand clips to try.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I don't know how they are keeping the price down, either.
    A cardboard box instead of a plastic case and one cheesy magazine* instead of two isn't going to make that much difference.
    Maybe they are just accepting less profit to increase volume in the slow Between Democrat Threat market.

*Cheesy magazine. A friend bought a RO to get 9mm and adjustable sights. It came with two magazines that looked like they were stamped out of Spam cans and worked about as well. I provided some name brand clips to try.
    The mags that come with budget 1911s are like the plastic sights that come on Glocks...cheap placeholders for something better.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

My sense is that they’re running specific high-volume production lines as loss-leaders to bith encourage new people to get into shooting, and move some inventory. I’m pretty much really good with both. As well, the cheap springers based on the mil-spec line seem to work out of the box.

For 2 Grover Clevelands, plus shipping, one could have a basic carry package from Harrison from scratch, starting here.

Compelling stuff.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List