Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Springer Mil-Spec price drop

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Really dislike the new roll mark.
    Funny thing is, if they'd have left the roll mark alone, I DEFINITELY would have bought one at the lower price. I might have bought an XD Mod 2 without Grip Zone too. They're great at shooting themselves in the foot.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

One of my local shops has these on their website for $480. The parkarized Loaded model was $765 and definitely had me thinking about my budget for the next month.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Call me crazy, but I actually don’t mind the new rollmark. It’s small and minimalistic which is the same as the rest of the gun. If my LGS has dropped it in price, I might have to find a way to hop on it sooner rather than later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to see these offered in 9mm.

I think these have been going online for <$450... I've been tempted to just have a 1911 as a reference gun for when a non-gun or newbie friend wants to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I would like to see these offered in 9mm.
    Totally. Not wanting to jack with having .45 around is part of the reason I haven't.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I'm genuinely curious; what do you find so objectionable about the roll markings? They look fairly tasteful and restrained, not at all like the billboards that, for example Colt used on the 1991s when they first came out.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 08-24-2019 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I'm genuinely curious; what do you find so objectionable about the roll markings? They look fairly tasteful and restrained, not at all like the billboards that, for example Colt used on the 1991s when they first came out.

Best, Jon
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, of course. In my opinion, the timeless aspect of some of the older Colt and Springfield roll marks is one of the attributes that makes them great base guns for custom builds. For that reason, I hope Springfield Armory preserves the classic roll mark for at least some of their lineup. I don't find the change to the Springfield Armory lettering nearly as objectionable as the decision to stamp the name of SA's various model lines on the opposite side of the slide. And while some of the names are okay, I wouldn't use a model with 'Loaded' or 'Mil-Spec' stamped on the slide as the base for any build (stamping 'Loaded' on the side of a pistol seems a particularly odd choice). I actually find the 'Mil-Spec' stamp particularly ironic, since the old roll mark was actually what appeared on service weapons.

Hard to find pictures of the new roll marks, but here's a new Loaded (I feebly tried to adjust the colors to bring out the new roll mark). Personally I wouldn't sink more money into this.

Name:  fullsizeoutput_76e7.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  101.9 KB

Here's my old Loaded built into a MEU(SOC) clone for comparison.

Name:  19112.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  25.6 KB

I really hope the new roll marks don't extend to the Pro.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I actually find the font and positioning of the new ones to be a bit less objectionable than the font, size and what to me is a bit billboard-ish appearance of the earlier ones. But that's me. I understand your preference for the straight-forward platform and caliber declaration over the model varition being rollmarked.
    Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 08-24-2019 at 10:01 AM.

Really dislike the arched mainspring housing and the slanted slide serrations. Most everyone I know does not like to shoot a 1911 with AMH, including me.

But it is a good value and a nice looking pistol.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I actually find the font and positioning of the new ones to be a bit less objectionable than the font, size and what to me is a bit billboard-ish appearance of the earlier ones. But that's me. I understand your preference for the straight-forward platform declaration over the model varition being rollmarked.
    Best, Jon
    That's fair. Normally I don't get too excited about roll marks, but for the 1911 I can get picky. I share your dislike of billboards, but the SA roll mark doesn't trigger that for me. On the other hand, I thought Colt's various M45A1 roll marks (whether issue or commercial) were truly tasteless. The former only a Marine could love...

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List