Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Springer Mil-Spec price drop

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I know in my heart of hearts that a $499 1911 would lead to spending a substantial fraction of the gun's cost on a set of elkhorn grips, because, Longmire.
    So help me, I'm starting to view 1911 grip panels like women view shoes. If I'm not careful I'll end up with way more sets than I can ever use...
    Last edited by awp_101; 09-26-2019 at 09:40 PM.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    So help me, I'm starting to view 1911 grip panels like women view shoes. If I'm not careful I'll end up with way more sets than I can ever use...
    My 1911 grip panel box is considerably larger than my holster box...

Mostly because I just bought JM kydex for my carry 1911s and stayed with it.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    A duty ready 1911 for $499 would likely make me spend more money I should not spend.

While this is a good deal, I wonder how well it would stand up to high volume shooting.
    I guess that would depend on how well the barrel/slide are fit up. The last one I had, had a forged frame and slide, stainless barrel. It was decently fit. I guess the hammer, sear, and a few other parts are MIM, I think it would hold up pretty well, SA has excellent customer service, so if you get a turd, you can always send back and they’ll fix it. For this kind of money you really can’t lose.

Site Supporter
    Does this model have staked on front sight? I'm guessing yes based on the price point. And is the rear a common dovetail cut?

Years ago when tinkering with budget 1911s this was a recurring problem.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    Does this model have staked on front sight? I'm guessing yes based on the price point. And is the rear a common dovetail cut?

Years ago when tinkering with budget 1911s this was a recurring problem.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Yes and yes.

I owned a Springer Mil-Spec before the Great Divorce Gun Sell Off. In my opinion, you should only own one if:

1) You want a gun to run in old school, stock configuration, with of course the exception of a nice set of stag grips.

2) You want to one as a learning platform on how to DIY custom 1911s.

I went with option #2, and wound up with a nicely customized gun that probably cost about twice what I could have paid for an off the rack model with similar features by the time I bought parts and tools. I of course took a bath on all that when I sold it, but I did value the experience.

It ran like a sewing machine in its stock form, so when I did something to it and it didn't run, I knew it was me and not some inherent problem with the gun.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List