Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vltor for SBR, Colt for pistol

0 0%
  • Vltor for both

1 10.00%
  • Vltor for Frankengun, leave SBR (mostly) stock

1 10.00%
  • If it ain’t Colt, it ain’t shit. OEM for both.

8 80.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vltor MUR vs. Colt OEM upper

Vltor MUR vs. Colt OEM upper

I’m working on two Colt builds right now, and am debating a Vltor MUR upper for one or both, but don’t have much info on the MUR from the last decade or so. Opinions range from Vltor being most awesomest to making no difference vs. a mil-spec upper. The price of a Colt and Vltor upper are essentially the same.

Here’s what I’m working with:

GUN 1:
    Factory Colt 6933 SBR. Pencil barrel will be replaced with Colt 11.5 HRT heavy barrel, with KAC MAMS brake and QDC can with Geissele Federal rail.

GUN 2:
    Mostly- or all-Colt Frankengun built around chopped-FSB 11.5 HRT HBAR on Charlie’s Custom Clones Colt pistol lower. Will be unsuppressed version of SBR, with either flash hider or possibly Surefire Warden, but no can to ensure no NFA issues.

Both guns will have Geissele rails, Colt BCGs, and BCM Gunfighter charging handles. The 6933 will need the FSB chopped, and I’m planning to have Specialized Armament do the barrel work/chop, along with their Reliability Package. I’m on the fence about sending out the pistol to SAW, ADCO (if SAW refuses to work with non-Colt parts), or doing the work myself at a shop I have a relationship with and will let me use their tools.

My question(s): Should I:
    1) Buy a Vltor upper and use it for the SBR which will have the heavy barrel plus the can, and therefore benefit from a stiffer upper, and transfer the Colt upper to the pistol?

2) Buy 2 Vltor uppers and install them on both guns?

3) Buy 1 Vltor upper and use it on the pistol, while leaving the 6933 SBR (mostly) stock?

4) Forget about Vltor entirely and go Colt OEM for both uppers?

Unless you need an upper for a specific reason colt, BCM, PSA, doesn't really matter they are almost all the same.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

I wouldn't use a Gucci upper unless you really just wanna flex on the poors. The cheapest upper receivers that I've good luck with are Aero. I've had to remove material from charging handles from poor machining in the upper and had wonky things with the dust cover on PSA uppers so I won't use them. I also wouldn't pay the asking price for Colt receivers these days, they're good quality but cloners have went full retard and drove the prices up to ridiculous levels.

I prefer to use these for new upper builds, you get a complete BCM upper receiver for the same or less than a stripped upper receiver from Aero and others, but you have to install the dust cover and FA, which is a 5 minute job. https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...-m4%20demo.htm

I may be interested in your takeoff 6933 pencil barrel when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I wouldn't use a Gucci upper unless you really just wanna flex on the poors.
    I admire your turn of phrase.

To the OP, I have no experience with the VLTOR upper, but my experience with a number of Colt uppers has been 100%.

I have a Vltor MUR upper on my SPR build that I did years ago due to the supposed increase of accuracy due to it being a stiffer receiver (less flexing). It shoots great but I honestly can't say if it would be any better or worse on a standard upper receiver. I do know that the MURs do handle a catastrophic failure better than a standard upper. William Larson of Semper Paratus Arms (R.I.P) had a kaboom with one and was impressed how it held together . You can read about it here https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...595-SBR-Kaboom!

While I like my Vltor upper if you have the model with the brass deflector you can't use offset sights and that is kind of annoying.
    I don't think you can go wrong with any of the standard quality options, Colt, BCM, Sionics, Sons of Liberty Gun Works, LMT and so on.
    As always YMMV.
    Last edited by Colt191145lover; 08-23-2019 at 11:23 AM.

I currently only use factory assembled uppers (Colt, KAC), but the smoothest cycling upper I've ever run featured a VLTOR MUR and a Young's chrome BCG

I used a Vltor MUR for a 300blk build a few years ago when I found one pretty cheap during Black Friday. If I were trying to squeeze out the most accuracy I could, for a purpose built gun I knew was going to weigh >10lbs by design, then the extra rigid MUR is probably a good choice. Practically speaking, for standard carbine length builds, the MUR seems like overkill. For SBR's or pistol builds, it would be senseless added weight and cost.

Emotionally, if you just dig it, go for it.

I have a couple of these with forward assist, both purchased used but NOS so I haven't and wouldn't pay full retail for one. The first went on a purpose built accuracy gun with a 5.56 chambered WOA 18" heavy stainless barrel, I really wanted the extra rigidity offered by the MUR as it is a testing gun for accuracy loads. I'm happy with it's performance but gun is stupid heavy, like, heavy for a .308 rifle heavy - I often consider breaking it down and parting it out to go with something more usable.

The second is actually on an SBR and I went with it because it was different and offered clearance from the FA for right handed charging. It's a heavy gun as well but mostly because it wears a can and LPVO full time, without both it is pretty lightweight but eye-watering blasty with it's brake.

I would buy again if the price was right. I'm not sure all the perceived advantages really offer what they've advertised, certainly rigidity as I've seen the video comparing the upper receiver flex but I'm not sure that has a real world effect on precision.

Quote Originally Posted by Colt191145lover View Post
    While I like my Vltor upper if you have the model with the brass deflector you can't use offset sights and that is kind of annoying.
    I have installed Magpul MBUS Pro Offsets on my MUR; you are limited in where you can put it, but it can be done.

This is true, I should have been more specific.

User Tag List