Thread: Stark stocks

Stark stocks

Here I have a pair of Stocks that I believe were made by Stark. I understand that he was another LAPD officer/stock maker that pre-dated and likely influenced Fuzzy Farrant’s work. This pair came from the same SoCal source as the old school PPC gun in my other post. They were advertised as made by Farrant, but here’s why I doubt that. The wood is much plainer than what Farrant used. The screw is different from those in Farrant stocks. The shape of the thumb rest is quite a bit thinner than Farrants and the shape of the bottom of the grip for the pinky finger is distinctly different. The Stark grips I’ve seen also appear less refined than Farrant, Hurst or Hogue’s work.

Name:  2D2041DC-5EA9-4428-AA32-E7680C3F6BA7.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  63.9 KB

Name:  4D4041EF-AEA4-43EE-9C0B-FEED414CA40C.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  61.8 KB

Here is another pair that I believe to be Stark’s

Name:  C8AAA664-321D-49D5-AA68-24143C813F6B.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  64.5 KB

Same screw and shape of the groove for the pinky finger. So far, all the grips I’ve been able to attribute to Stark have been for a cut down frame.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

The could also be Joe Blackford. Stark and Blackford taught the guys like Fuzzy Farrant, John Hurst and Guy Hogue. Blackford was big on deep finger grooves.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I would bet on these being made by the same maker. The use of the dark wood plug is common to both as is the shape of the lowest finger grove. Thumb rest shape is almost identical. Also seems to use the same brass screw. Wood used on both is on the plain side, though the checkered pair seems to be a little nicer than mine.

I sure wish these guys had marked their work.
    Last edited by LtDave; 08-24-2019 at 09:43 AM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Lt Dave-

Thank you for posting and educating us on this very interesting aspect of revolver history. Thanks also to Dagga Boy for chiming in on this thread and his continuing quest to ensure the many who've contributed over the years aren't forgotten.

-Rainman

User Tag List