Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: HK P30 LEM Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I put the larger mag release levers on my P2000, and ecently saw interference with at least one holster.

If you look at the large levers, which come stock on the P30, they are more protected. The larger levers on the P2000 stick out more. I really don’t like the stock small mag release levers on the P2000, but given the nature of how I use the P2000, am considering switching back to small levers. Anyone else have this concern?
    I have 3-4 P2000/SKs, and put the large levers on all. Haven't noticed any fit issues, but all my holsters (OWB, IWB, AIWB) for them are from JM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I put the larger mag release levers on my P2000, and ecently saw interference with at least one holster.

If you look at the large levers, which come stock on the P30, they are more protected. The larger levers on the P2000 stick out more. I really don’t like the stock small mag release levers on the P2000, but given the nature of how I use the P2000, am considering switching back to small levers. Anyone else have this concern?
    I don't have a P2K, but as discussed several times in other threads (with pics), I like the HK45c levers (when modified appropriately for form/fit/function) on my USPs. But I don't like them with the paddles full size. I always sand them down to make them more tapered with softer edges. A medium/Goldilocks/snowflake lever. My JMCK AIWB for USPc clears my snowflake levers just fine with a minimum of relieving the edge of the Kydex, maybe 1/2 mm or so. Levers and holster are plastic, so it's really easy to sand a little bit.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 04-07-2020 at 08:18 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I don't have a P2K, but as discussed several times in other threads (with pics), I like the HK45c levers (when modified appropriately for form/fit/function) on my USPs. But I don't like them with the paddles full size. I always sand them down to make them more tapered with softer edges. A medium/Goldilocks/snowflake lever. My JMCK AIWB for USPc clears my snowflake levers just fine with a minimum of relieving the edge of the Kydex, maybe 1/2 mm or so. Levers and holster are plastic, so it's really easy to sand a little bit.
    My understanding the HK45C paddles are fine in a USP Compact, but a no go on the USP full size. On the 9/40, because of the plastic magazines, and on the 45, because magazines can fall out with full power loads like +P and Super.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I think these old posts cover everything I think I know about this topic at this time.

TLDR: If the HK45c catch is installed without appropriate modification, it only partially engages the notch on the magazine, so the magazine may not be held securely. If the catch is modified appropriately, it is demonstrable that the tab achieves full engagement with the notch on the magazine (at least with the steel mags of the USP .45 FS and USPc), because the at-rest position is controlled by the inserted magazine. I haven't done it yet with the 9/40 FS plastic-bodied mags, but I do intend to test it.

Other stuff:
    I fitted a HK45c mag catch. Notice I didn't write "installed," I wrote "fitted." The extended catch needs a little material removed from the section that abuts the underside of the trigger guard. Look at the frame, the standard catch, and the extended catch and it should become clear. Flattening out that raised section allows the catch lever to rotate fully upward, and the tab that holds the mag to fully engage the notch on the front of the mag. Inserting a magazine bumps the tab forward from the point the top of the mag reaches the catch tab, just like the standard part, and with the mag engaged, there is clearance between the catch and the trigger guard. It's fully engaged with the spring loading it against the mag.

Once the fit/function part was done, I did a little reduction on the extended paddles. They're just fiber- reinforced plastic, so it's easy to remove material with an X-Acto knife and sandpaper, and you don't even have to refinish anything. The stock extended paddles are just a little too big and kinda lumpy in awkward places. I left the length alone, but slimmed, tapered and smoothed them and undercut the undersides a bit.
    Anyway, this is one I did awhile ago on my old police trade USP .45 FS. Same mod as for the USPc.

At left is the original USP catch. In the middle is an unfitted HK45c catch. On the right is the fitted catch before the paddle reduction.

Basically, the raised bar between the paddles needs to be shaved down to be flush with the rest of the forward-facing surface, so it fits like the USP catch. It might be half a mm of material to remove. Pretty simple. Shave with an X-Acto knife, file it flush and sand to make it smooth and clean up the edges. On the end of the tab itself (the part that engages the magazine notch), I also knock the peaks of the roughness off the stamping fracture surface and remove the burr.

With a mag inserted, the area between the paddles that I've shaved down is raised away from the trigger guard at least enough for a thick piece of paper or business card stock to slip freely between them, so I know the position of the mag catch is being controlled by full engagement with the mag.

Attachment 42557

The problem with not fitting it is that the raised bar runs into the relief on the underside of the trigger guard and prevents the catch from rotating all the way upward. This prevents the tab from protruding far enough into the magwell. It will engage the notch on the magazine, but not fully. Rather than being fully engaged in the notch, it's just hanging on the edge of the notch. There are reports of guns dropping mags under recoil. It's not clear to me whether that occurs immediately or if the problem is that over time, the tab wears the edge of the notch and softens/rounds the edge until the mag is no longer securely held. Possibly both. (The answer to most multi-factor problems is "it depends.")

The wear/damage issue is especially of concern with the plastic bodies on the full-size USP 9/40 mags. I haven't yet done this on a full-size USP 9/40, so I can't say for sure it will work properly there, but I would apply the same evaluation criteria. I do expect that the smaller, steel tab would be fine if it is fully engaged in the molded pocket in the magazine. I think the problems result from it engaging only the edge of the pocket. I do intend to test that with a few tens of thousands of rounds through one of these guns eventually. Just not there yet.

You also need to check the paddles for interference with any holster the gun will be used in. There's no good reason to assume that holster makers provide room for the larger paddle in their molds, and interaction with the holster could conceivably cause a mag to become disengaged from the catch and not be noticed until some time that it's really needed.

It's really, really important to get all the details of this right, because dropping mags under recoil or at another unintended time can get you kilt in da streetz.

I've posted my observations and reasoning here. If someone can explain how I'm wrong, I'd appreciate being told about it. I believe I've gotten it right, but I am not a licensed gunsmith or gunsmith instructor, so any action you take is entirely at your own risk.

Ergonomically, the unfitted catch also causes the paddles to sit a little low, underhanging the trigger guard, which makes their oversizeness even more annoying. So fitting it puts them in the correct alignment, then the reduction makes them the right size and shape, which is entirely to taste.

ETA:
    Thinking about it further, it's conceivable that some shooters might inadvertently activate the oversized paddles due to gun movement during recoil and simply not notice that's what's happening. Which would be another reason to pay attention to the paddle reduction aspect. They only need to be big enough to work well for you, not any bigger.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Installed the Grayguns short reset kit in my P2000. Wow! My p2000 trigger is now functionally the same as my lite LEM HK45. I can run it at speed with no short stroking! It is fast. Best money spent on gear in the recent past. On another note I cannibalized one of my 17 round VP9 mags and put the guts in the P2000 mag. It will take 15 instead of 13 but is nigh impossible to seat on a closed slide. 14 rounds and all works great.

Quote Originally Posted by spj View Post
    Installed the Grayguns short reset kit in my P2000. Wow! My p2000 trigger is now functionally the same as my lite LEM HK45. I can run it at speed with no short stroking! It is fast. Best money spent on gear in the recent past. On another note I cannibalized one of my 17 round VP9 mags and put the guts in the P2000 mag. It will take 15 instead of 13 but is nigh impossible to seat on a closed slide. 14 rounds and all works great.
    I can pretty easily get 15 9mm rounds in my .40 USPc (same as P2K) mag. Worked fine for a couple hundred rounds with my 9mm conversion barrel for my USPc. Probably would for your P2K also

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    I can pretty easily get 15 9mm rounds in my .40 USPc (same as P2K) mag. Worked fine for a couple hundred rounds with my 9mm conversion barrel for my USPc. Probably would for your P2K also
    interesting, ill keep my eyes peeled for one!

Quote Originally Posted by spj View Post
    Who else has has experience with this — wondering about trying it in a P2000/P30?

What is hysterical, is that I am reading reviews on the GGI website, and there is my old pistol again!

Name:  489530AD-ADAF-489F-A3AB-3BC8544D5B86.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  63.3 KB

Site Supporter
    What is hysterical, is that I am reading reviews on the GGI website, and there is my old pistol again!

Name:  489530AD-ADAF-489F-A3AB-3BC8544D5B86.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  63.3 KB
    The P30 is calling you!🤣😜

User Tag List