Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: HK P30 LEM Trigger

The week spot on the USP series is the firing pin. I broke mine third round out of the holster at the range after running it a couple of years. The back half hit me in the face. We broke around 5 or 6 out of 320. They would break around the firing pin block. Supposedly this weakness was discovered as well with the testing done by CBP and addressed in the P2000, in their earlier trials. I am not aware of anyone breaking one in the HK45.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    V2 is heavier than I like, but V1 works well enough for my use as a defensive pistol. I am going to try the GGI reduced reset part to get the reset more like a USP, although I would be happy leaving the reset stock. I am a lot more particular about grip shape!
    Thanks-I suspect that your trigger tactile sensitivity and/or experience is of a magnitude greater than mine regarding V1 LEM; I needed the increased resistance, as I was never really able to fully synchronize with the "flying through the air" relatively weightless portion of the initial V1 triggerpull; I needed and went to more constant resistance and a more seamless break point via the medium-weight TRS. It's now characteristically more like the DAO on my Beretta 92D, which is much more to my liking-but that's me.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Thanks-I suspect that your trigger tactile sensitivity and/or experience is of a magnitude greater than mine regarding V1 LEM; I needed the increased resistance, as I was never really able to fully synchronize with the "flying through the air" relatively weightless portion of the initial V1 triggerpull; I needed and went to more constant resistance and a more seamless break point via the medium-weight TRS. It's now characteristically more like the DAO on my Beretta 92D, which is much more to my liking-but that's me.

Best, Jon
    The P series LEM has a lot of pre travel, and to shoot quickly I want to get through that pre travel as quickly as possible. Less resistance is better for me, as I am trying to make it more single action than double action.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The P series LEM has a lot of pre travel, and to shoot quickly I want to get through that pre travel as quickly as possible. Less resistance is better for me, as I am trying to make it more single action than double action.
    And I'm exactly the opposite for a duty pistol-I want it more double action than single action.

Best, Jon

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by spj View Post
    The week spot on the USP series is the firing pin. I broke mine third round out of the holster at the range after running it a couple of years. The back half hit me in the face. We broke around 5 or 6 out of 320. They would break around the firing pin block. Supposedly this weakness was discovered as well with the testing done by CBP and addressed in the P2000, in their earlier trials. I am not aware of anyone breaking one in the HK45.
    Is that experience pre- or post-2005 revisions? The firing pin and firing pin block were changed to eliminate breakage, as I understand it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spj View Post
    Not exactly.

INS began issuing the USPC .40 to plainclothes LE in 1999. The firing pin issue was identified in 2001, prior to the creation of DHS or CBP.

My USPC was one of a couple we had break. Mine broke and was repaired in 2002 or 2003. None of ours separated from the pistol or hit anyone in the face.

HK redesigned the FP and FP Block, there have been no issues since this upgrade in the early 2000s and the same designed in the P2000.

CBP did not do their own pistol testing until last year’s tests which resulted in the switch from the P2000 .40 to Glock 9mms.

CBP adopted the P2000 as a result of the 2004 DHS Joint handgun testing. Both the USPC and the P2000 passed the 2004 testing in all three DHS issued calibers (9/40/357). ICE had INS issued USPC’s in service until March 2009 and POW USPC’s are still grandfathered in as POWs. CBP does not authorize POWs for duty but I am personally aware that there are still INS issued USPCs in service with CBP/USBP to this day.

Those in CBP with USPC’s hold onto them like Gollum and the ring, mostly due to the superior trigger pull on the USPC LEM, though I find the flatter /squarer grip shape helps the gun track better in strings of fire.

HK may not have upgraded commercial guns until 2005 but the issue was identified and GOV contract guns upgraded well prior to that.

Keep in mind that if you do decide to replace the Firing Pin on an older USPC, you will need to replace all 3 parts: FP, FPB, and FPBS as well as new roll pins.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-18-2020 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Not exactly.

INS began issuing the USPC .40 to plainclothes LE in 1999. The firing pin issue was identified in 2001, prior to the creation of DHS or CBP.

My USPC was one of a couple we had break. Mine broke and was repaired in 2002 or 2003. None of ours separated from the pistol or hit anyone in the face.

HK redesigned the FP and FP Block, there have been no issues since this upgrade in the early 2000s and the same designed in the P2000.

CBP did not do their own pistol testing until last year’s tests which resulted in the switch from the P2000 .40 to Glock 9mms.

CBP adopted the P2000 as a result of the 2004 DHS Joint handgun testing. Both the USPC and the P2000 passed the 2004 testing in all three DHS issued calibers (9/40/357). ICE had INS issued USPC’s in service until March 2009 and POW USPC’s are still grandfathered in as POWs. CBP does not authorize POWs for duty but I am personally aware that there are still INS issued USPCs in service with CBP/USBP to this day.

Those in CBP with USPC’s hold onto them like Gollum and the ring, mostly due to the superior trigger pull on the USPC LEM, though I find the flatter /squarer grip shape helps the gun track better in strings of fire.

HK may not have upgraded commercial guns until 2005 but the issue was identified and GOV contract guns upgraded well prior to that.

Keep in mind that if you do decide to replace the Firing Pin on an older USPC, you will need to replace all 3 parts: FP, FPB, and FPBS as well as new roll pins.
    A most excellent history of the various and sundry federal border police/ customs/ INS and HK history.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Is that experience pre- or post-2005 revisions? The firing pin and firing pin block were changed to eliminate breakage, as I understand it.
    The guns in question were USP 45 full size and were issued in 1999. The guns were in service until replacement with HK45.

Picked up another P30L V1 last week, prefer the V1 over "Lite" the V1 in my experience seems shot to shot seems more consistent regarding trigger play. I have several LEM's, will all eventually convert to v4.1. sending the newer HK this week to have v4.1 installed & Heinie Straight 8's. I will say it seems to me the "CA" 2020 LEM is best LEM press to date. Not sure what others have experienced.

Question for HCM or anyone who knows; what was the first year of regular civie production of the USPf ?

User Tag List