Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock gen5 OEM Barrel v KKM/Bar Sto

Glock gen5 OEM Barrel v KKM/Bar Sto

My curiosity is getting the better of me, but before I lay down any money I was wondering if anyone has had the chance to compare the performance of an OEM gen5 Glock Marksman barrel versus a comparable KKM or Bar Sto barrel.

I enjoy punishing myself by shooting B8s at 25 yards, and was wondering if it's worth splurging on a Match grade barrel for my glock......

Current Gen 5 Marksman barrel is capable of 1.9” groups at 25yds
    I personally would not change that barrel out.

I hate to sound like a lawyer and say "it depends," but it depends on your specific pistol. For ME, a KKM barrel provided no improvement with an accuracy challenged Gen4 G19, leading me to believe the problem lay somewhere else in the pistol. Likewise, my Gen5 pistols have been EASILY more accurate than I am, so I don't think I would see any measurable improvement for what is a pretty hefty investment.

The only way to really know would be to mechanically rest your Gen5 to find out what its true potential is, then determine if a new barrel is likely to yeild better results. But, I'm inclined to think that's money better spent on ammunition...

I gotta agree with Psalms. Part of the challenge of a rest is setting it up correctly. I also shoot a lot of 25yd B8's (or I used to anyway). Here's one I shot a couple weeks ago. This is with a stock Gen 5 G19 MOS. Sights are Ameriglos with a .125 front and .150 rear. Ammo was 124gr Fiocchi. The group measures just under 2.5". This was 10 shots fired successively inside 60 seconds standing freestyle and witnessed.

Match ammo and different sights would probably make a much bigger difference than a barrel (and are cheaper). That said, I don't know how much better than 2.5" Freestyle at 25yds you need to get (or will get with a Glock).

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I gotta agree with Psalms. Part of the challenge of a rest is setting it up correctly. I also shoot a lot of 25yd B8's (or I used to anyway). Here's one I shot a couple weeks ago. This is with a stock Gen 5 G19 MOS. Sights are Ameriglos with a .125 front and .150 rear. Ammo was 124gr Fiocchi. The group measures just under 2.5". This was 10 shots fired successively inside 60 seconds standing freestyle and witnessed.

Match ammo and different sights would probably make a much bigger difference than a barrel (and are cheaper). That said, I don't know how much better than 2.5" Freestyle at 25yds you need to get (or will get with a Glock).
    Fuck, dude, that's awesome. Cue the Tombstone scene "now I'm sure of it... I hate 'im..."

Site Supporter

Which Ameriglo’s are you running? Those are the dimensions I am looking for and plan on putting them on a G45.

Quote Originally Posted by Guinnessman View Post
    Which Ameriglo’s are you running? Those are the dimensions I am looking for and plan on putting them on a G45.
    Front: GL-212-165-125-GR-C (.165 tall x 1.20 wide)
    Rear: GL-146R (.256 tall x .150 notch)

Looks like this:

I started with .180 tall fronts and found they hit lower than I wanted. I think a .170 would be exactly right for a center X-ring hold on these guns with these rears, but Ameriglo doesn't make it. .180 gives you a 6:00 hold on the 10-ring and .160 gives you a top of blades = top of 10 ring hold. Both holds I describe assume you want to hit center X. Both are certainly useable as long as you know your hold, but I've found the .160 to be more forgiving up close at speed.
    Last edited by ASH556; 08-22-2019 at 01:51 PM.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Front: GL-212-165-125-GR-C (.165 tall x 1.20 wide)
    Rear: GL-146R (.256 tall x .150 notch)

I started with .180 tall fronts and found they hit lower than I wanted.
    My Gen5 G19 MOS came with .180" as well, and seems to shoot low. Next week I'll wring it out with .165" front, hopefully that will help a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by gomerpyle View Post
    My curiosity is getting the better of me, but before I lay down any money I was wondering if anyone has had the chance to compare the performance of an OEM gen5 Glock Marksman barrel versus a comparable KKM or Bar Sto barrel.

I enjoy punishing myself by shooting B8s at 25 yards, and was wondering if it's worth splurging on a Match grade barrel for my glock......
    My KKM G19 barrel dropped into my 19X roughly halved my 50 yard groups with the OEM barrel. I returned it to OEM a week later when I got the only FTEs (2) I’ve seen in that gun.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I shot a threaded KKM pretty extensively in a Gen 5 19. I'm not good enough to tell an accuracy difference, but it ran 100% with 147HST and definitely didn't shoot worse than stock.

User Tag List