Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Horrible article on the 442 that isn't meant to be horrible

Site Supporter
    The author churned out bullshit for submission to a publisher. No more and no less. I laughed about the 5 yard group. I'm old, blind, cripple, and have a limp dick. However, I can still make head shots at 25 yards with these guns. If you can't, I can teach you. Did I give too much information?

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    The author churned out bullshit for submission to a publisher. No more and no less. I laughed about the 5 yard group. I'm old, blind, cripple, and have a limp dick. However, I can still make head shots at 25 yards with these guns. My reloads are so easy to make, that's why the J-Frame is so reliable. If you can't, I can teach you. Did I give too much information?
    Fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    My brother fired exactly five rounds of .357 out of his super scandium J-frame and then asked me if I wanted to fire some magnums out of it. LOL, I laughed.
    I fired five because it was in front of teammates and I didn't want to look like a pussy. If I'd have known some of them would end up firing only a couple, I would never have fired five.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I agree that every writer has to start somewhere, and this poor bastard is obviously floundering in search of cool words to throw into an article (maybe to make the required length?) My argument is with the editor, who either (a) doesn't know shit about shit (including firearms, the english language, editing, etc...) or (b) doesn't give a shit about what drivel gets published as long as it gets enough clicks to keep the advertisers happy. Or a combination of both.

On to the specifics of the article, yeah, it was pretty lame. And add me to the "pussy" camp - I shot three, count 'em THREE .357s out of my 340PD back in the day, then unloaded it. I probably shot a cumulative total of 200 rounds of our issued 38 Spl 158 gr +P SWCLHP through it over a year or two before I sold it because it was too ouchy.

S&W 340PD at the range

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    My brother fired exactly five rounds of .357 out of his super scandium J-frame and then asked me if I wanted to fire some magnums out of it. LOL, I laughed.
    I was at the rifle club one day with my 340PD. I shoot it occasionally with my preferred Winchester Ranger .38+P 130 grain JHP..........just to make sure it still functions. Well a couple of local PD officers were at the range. They were young enough to have grown up on pistols in general, and striker-fired pistols in particular. I loaded the 340 with the Speer Gold Dot .357 135 grain JHP. Each shot 5 rounds. They commented on how much recoil the revolver had.....which it does. "Old school" does rock.....indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by echo5charlie View Post
    "I have medium-sized hands and was able to keep my smallest finger on the front of the gun."

Huh? If there was only colloquialism for pinky. What does he mean by "the front of the gun"?
    I had a serious mind bend when I read that line, trying for a moment to figure out what he meant... I gave up.

I absolutely love my 340 PD for what it is. But I don’t like shooting anything much above 38 wadcutters in it. Never fired a 357 out of it, don’t really see a need to either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess I didn't miss much

Site Supporter
    I miss the old days when Law & Order magazine and (particularly) "The Police Marksman" magazine had some very good articles. Not all of them, but I looked forward to those magazines arriving in the mail. I even sold a couple of articles to both of them back in the old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I fired five because it was in front of teammates and I didn't want to look like a pussy. If I'd have known some of them would end up firing only a couple, I would never have fired five.
    Full power .357 sucks nuts from a steel J frame. That sounds horrible.

I don't much care for .38+p 125 SJHP in an Airweight.

On the article, I give it a C-. It has poor organization, particularly in the flow from sentence to sentence within the paragraphs.

First draft submission, I hope.

But I found an article that has it beat in writing style, but pummels it in shitty advice, and caps it off with someone taking a picture of his sexy cousin showing off a Charter Arms "Chic Lady."

http://gunivore.com/revolver/charter...ulldog-review/

My personal fave line is where he says a Bulldog has a better trigger pull than a Model 29. Then uses quotes around superior in "superior trigger pull" like he's actually calling it shitty.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 08-23-2019 at 07:44 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List