Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Alternate Email Account Providers

Site Supporter

RFI: Alternate Email Account Providers

I've been using Gmail for years and am generally satisfied with it. It's occurred to me that I should have an alternate account instead of being locked into only one. It would preferably be free, ad-free, and useable on Windows 10 and iOS platforms. I recognize that the first two requirements may be mutually exclusive, but I thought I'd ask.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    You can set up an email alias through iCloud. I use that for personal email. The iCloud format on your computer is pretty basic (which may be a plus for some people), but you can integrate it with Outlook and have full functionality there.

They recently started making changes where you need to have two-factor authentication set up to sync Icloud with Outlook, it’s kind of a pain but smooth sailing once it’s done.

I can't speak to working with an OS (I usually access via browser. From my understanding its more software than operating system) but I've been quite satisfied with ProtonMail as an alternate to Gmail.

ETA they do have an app for IOS.
    Last edited by Shoresy; 08-22-2019 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
    I can't speak to working with an OS (I usually access via browser. From my understanding its more software than operating system) but I've been quite satisfied with ProtonMail as an alternate to Gmail.

ETA they do have an app for IOS.
    I also have switched to Protonmail, so much that I'm willing to shell out for a paid account.

I will give a thumbs-up to Proton Mail.

Site Supporter
    Anybody have experience with Librem?

https://librem.one

How is the spam filter on Proton Mail?

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    How is the spam filter on Proton Mail?
    I don't hardly get any spam on my Protonmail account, so it seems pretty good, and filters well.
    Last edited by Guerrero; 08-31-2019 at 05:59 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    Anybody have experience with Librem?

https://librem.one
    Never heard of them before seeing your post, but it looks very good. I would love to de-Google, but I'm such a heavy user it seems impossible.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

My experience with them so far. I've been using Proton mail since it was available, beta tester for IOS device. Spam filter is good. I like two password authentication to decrypt mailbox. Spam filter works very well, they now have a bridge program that will allow adding your inbox to clients like thunderbird, apple mail etc. but completely goes against the point of using them IMHO. Using third party software like Thunderbird won't allow password encryption and auto erase for messages. Protons VPN service sucked when I tried using it for a few months. I am very curious about Librem One and would be curious about peoples experience with it. Looks like lots of services will be added to their suite over time, I am looking forward to getting my hands on a phone from them.

User Tag List