Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: JMCK AIWB Wing Claw 2.0

Review: JMCK AIWB Wing Claw 2.0

I got the new AIWB Wing Claw 2.0 with wedge for my G19 yesterday and thought I would write up a few comments that some may find helpful.

My body type: 6'1" 185. I am a tall, thin older guy. Meaning I look the snake that swallowed a small egg. Chest still sticks out more or even with the stomach. Must exercise more, drink less scotch and eat less chocolate. LOL.

Current holster JMCK "George"

Desire for new holster: Thinner with less printing at the belt line. I could then wear the G19 with a t-shirt and ditch the denim shirt.

Desire for my wildest dreams is having the holster conceal so well that my G27 would disappear enough that I can take it trekking (long distance hiking) which often is in a NPE even with LEOSA ( I trek in California, Oregon, Washington). At this time I use a G43 in a George holster for trekking.

I have been using the JMCK "George" for about a year and love it. My only complaint, with my body type the split rigid loops would print like a beeper on my wilderness 1.5 inch belt when wearing a thick denim shirt. I could not conceal the G19 with a t-shirt. (FYI... if you don't know what a beeper is, ask your parents.)

The holster is the expected perfect quality that we all know and love with JMCK. Thank you Tony.

The holster is a bit thinner (smaller bulge at the belt line) when compared to the George. If you had minor printing issues at the belt line with a George then I suspect this holster would disappear on you. I had a lot of printing with the George at the belt line with and without a sponge wedge. I still have a bit of printing with this holster but it is much less, different and less noticeable. First the attachment points are closer to the width of a belt loop and spread apart. This breaks up the printing making it less obvious. The front attachment point is all that prints through a t-shirt. The rear attachment point above the trigger just disappears on me and doesn't print.

I have never used a claw holster before. Prior to buying the 2.0 I was concerned that the claw would dig into my pelvis. For me that just didn't happen. The curved part of the claw hangs over the edge of my pelvis but does not touch it. I wore it all day and there is no red mark anywhere on my skin. I tightened the belt down excessively trying to get the claw to dig it. It didn't. The construction places it along the belt side of the holster and not the back. I slid the holster way over so the claw was totally above the pelvis. It didn't dig in. The point is that even though the holster is wider it is still usable over a wide range between the 12 and 3 o'clock positions. I suppose if you were super thin with a pelvis that stuck way out and want to place the holster body right next to the pelvis this might limit where you wear it. I'm fairly thin (not much love handle here).

For those that carry a baby Glock such as the 26 or 27: I dug out my BUG G27 from the safe and found something interesting. The way my t-shirts drape over the pistol causes a small pleat or wrinkle or curve on the shirt that comes off the bottom of my chest and tracks down like a tunnel to my waist coming over the end of the pistol butt. Thus it conceals that part well when I use the G19 and a t-shirt. The claw on this holster pushes the pistol butt in, but that tension also pushes the belt outward slightly. This doesn't print on me because it doesn't stick out that much when compared to the opposite side of the belt line.

When wearing the G19 it just doesn't matter due to how the shirt drapes over to the butt of the pistol which is on the pelvis side of the claw. When using the G27 the t-shirt draped to the butt of the pistol again. However, the position of the G27 butt is right above where the claw pushes out the belt a bit. The outside of the G27 is almost even with the pushed out belt at that point. This actually makes the G27 even harder to print when moving, in a wind, bad slouching posture, etc. I don't carry the 27 bug anymore as a retiree but if that is your pistol and your shirt drapes similar it might be a nice added concealment benefit.

Because the attachment points are spread this holster does not move a bit using the Wilderness 1.5" belt and an old Uncle Mikes 1.5". I dug out an old Carhartt belt which is the usual 1 3/8th inch. If you like the holster to move a bit as an adjustment, you can use the Carhartt and it will move a bit but not enough to mess up your draw, in my opinion.

I tried to get the attachments to accidentally release the holster off the belt but could not get them to come off the belt even a little. I chopped wood, bent over and then tugged repeatedly on the holster. I sat down and lounged but the holster attachments did their job and stayed in place. With the Wilderness and the Carhartt it stayed in place.

Conclusion: It's my new G19 holster. Time will tell if I can wear t-shirts full time. Hey, it was 18 degrees yesterday morning. LOL. The pistol is thinner on the belt and the claw tucks the pistol grip better than the George. The pistol slide is tucked the same with the wedge. Moving the attachment points not only made it thinner but broke up and remaining printing by making the, "footprint" smaller. It really looks like a belt loop is sticking out on the belt. Much better than the beeper look. It is just as comfortable as the George. I like.

I will try it later (when it is in the 50's) with a G27 while hiking and update next week.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Very nice review. Thanks for the write up. I'm about 3 weeks from mine and can't wait. Keep looking every morning hoping I have the "your product is shipped" email. I also have the George and like it quite a bit. Question for you, does your George have a wedge? Mine does so I'm curious as to having the wedge and the claw. I've not had much issue with the peinant you describe but the "thinner" bludgeon at the belt line is what I'm looking foreword to. Glad to hear that it doesn't really seem like it takes up much more real estate.

Good review.

Also in the queue, early December hopefully.

This will be my first AIWB attempt. I'm hoping it will fit. Based on the positive reviews, I'm really looking forward to kangaroo carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    Very nice review. Thanks for the write up. I'm about 3 weeks from mine and can't wait. Keep looking every morning hoping I have the "your product is shipped" email. I also have the George and like it quite a bit. Question for you, does your George have a wedge? Mine does so I'm curious as to having the wedge and the claw. I've not had much issue with the peinant you describe but the "thinner" bludgeon at the belt line is what I'm looking foreword to. Glad to hear that it doesn't really seem like it takes up much more real estate.
    My 2.0 has the wedge just as my George does. The claw really twists that grip into the belly. My 2.0 and George are the same height. So the wedge works the same. Except the new wedge really really tucks it until it compresses a little. LOL. That is a tough draw with a brand new wedge. Same as the George. After two or three weeks it compresses and molds to sort of a steady state happy medium. I see no difference with the wedge other than that. Same, same to me.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

With the idea that I'm certainly no holster maker, just a guy with a garage box full of them over the decades, I believe this might be the thinnest Tony can make it without widening the sight channel from the body side and attaching the front clip to that. I could see a 2.0 with the front attachment angled towards the body something like is used on the IWB4. Most pics I've seen of AIWB users show a bit of a triangle of empty space between body and belt along the buckle side of the sight channel.

The problem would be if it could be done with widening the belt line a bit but not the entire holster which might make it uncomfortable. I don't personally like the hybrid leather holsters, but I bet that would be doable with a front leather attachment and claw on the other end???

Darn, maybe I should shut up. Tony the Genius might just make it and I would have to buy it. He could single-handed turn a person into a gear nut. Like waving a fine scotch at an alcoholic. LOL. Voice in head says, "New holster is fantastic. Stop dreaming and go shooting."
    Last edited by JustOneGun; 11-19-2016 at 03:17 PM. Reason: IWB4 not 3

Thanks a lot for the info. I have one on the way and have been curious about the belt clips. I've had some issues comfortably concealing my P07 and this seems like the best of both worlds

Quote Originally Posted by Paltares8 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the info. I have one on the way and have been curious about the belt clips. I've had some issues comfortably concealing my P07 and this seems like the best of both worlds

I was concerned about the belt clips thickness from the body versus the split rigid loop. It was unfounded. They stick out maybe a bit more than the loop but not by much. Considering the new position of the clips it is still thinner at the belt line.

I had visions of taking the sight channel and pushing the apex towards the body. Thus making the angle of the front clip more extreme. That would drive the clip on the sight channel toward the center line. That would make only one edge of that clip print. Thinking of geometry that angle (enough to allow the sight to clear of course) would make the outer angle of the sight channel longer. Theoretically the front clip could then be moved toward the new apex of the sight channel (sort of like moving it down hill). That movement would then lower the remaining edge of the clip and further reduce printing. The only down side would be that probably about 1/2 inch more of kydex would be touching the body.

Of course theoretically doesn't make a holster. There may be things that my little pea brain doesn't understand about the manufacturing process. But one can dream.

New update for those thinking they might buy this holster....

I always had to use the wedge to ccw the g19 even with a denim shirt. By tightening the wilderness belt slightly and with the claw I do not need the wedge when wearing a denim shirt. Of course not using the wedge means the belt line is sticking out even less. Very nice development that I had never considered before.

JustOneGun, thanks for the very good and descriptive review. Glad you like it.
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

This holster is the real deal and best AIWB I have tried. Previous favorite was the Eidolon. I just got mine for my HK USP 45 Tactical....yes you read that right (I just wanted to see if it could be done) I am 5'10" 170 lbs and can conceal that beast with jeans and a t-shirt. I will be ordering one for my G19 primary. I wore it all day today hunting and it was like it wasn't there.

User Tag List