Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which 1911?

Another strong vote for the Colt Series 70 Reproductions, either stainless or blued. A classic gun, but subtly modified (better sights, dimpled feed ramp) rendering it eminently suitable for use and carry. Another consideration might be a Dan Wesson A2, for similar reasons. Best, Jon. (And my wife got me my Series 70 stainless for our 15th anniversary....)
    Last edited by JonInWA; 08-22-2019 at 12:50 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    Hi all newbie here,

I want to buy my husband a 1911 for Christmas this year and unsure which route to go and would appreciate ANY advice. !
    Given the background, I'd also recommend the Colt m45a1 as a first choice. After that I'd look at a Colt Gold Cup. These two would have the highest historical significance and be good to great performers out of the box.

Other considerations would be to peruse the offerings from Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Dan Wesson, Springfield Armory, and Springfield Armory's custom shop, and if you can swing the cost, Heirloom Precision. Aside from Springfield Armory's off the shelf pistols, these are "custom" 1911s that are the absolute pinnacle of craftsmanship and design. If your husband is truly picky these are the places to go.

I'd be thrilled if my wife went out of her way to get a great pistol like a Colt m45a1. If she got me a Wilson Combat or Ed Brown, I'd probably lose consciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Just like @JSGlock34 mentioned above, a 5" in 45acp is the way to go for a "forever" gun.

There are models from several manufacturers that are significant to their respective brands that are worth looking at:

Colt - Special combat Gov't, other Custom Shop models, or Reproduction models
    Les Baer - Thunder Ranch Special (these are recently discontinued and inventories are dwindling) or PremierII
    Springfield Armory - Professional Models
    Wilson - CQB
    Nighthawk - Classic or GRP

Personally, I don't rate the Ruger or Sig as an example of a "beautiful, quality 1911 that he will want to keep forever"
    I like this from the go heavy or go home perspective based on learning late how next level awesome the higher end is.
    If $1500 ish is upper limit then high end Colt or Springfield Armory or Dan Wesson.

Strongly recommend dropping Sig and Ruger. Just not the panache for an heirloom gift IMO.

And you are beast mode awesome for being here asking.
    Last edited by JHC; 08-22-2019 at 06:03 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Well since higher end guns have been thrown into the mix, then yeah something from the Colt Custom Shop would be great. Well built guns with good aesthetics that will be functional as well as serve the "heirloom" role.

Currently the Custom Shop produces three models (aside from true custom guns which they also produce):

Custom Shop CQBP (M45)
    This is a Custom Shop version of the M45 Marine pistol. Some are all one color (all tan or all black), some are two tone. The Custom Shop version has a checkered front strap and comes in a green Pelican case. Be aware that the two tone black and grey version also has a checkered front strap and is a good looking pistol but is not made in the Custom Shop.
    Price = around $2000

Special Combat Government
    I have one of these -- it's a beautiful gun and a great shooter. Hand-fit barrel makes for excellent accuracy. Good mix of modern and traditional.
    Price = around $1800-$2000 (sometimes deals can be found, I got mine brand new for $1565)

Custom Competition
    Competition oriented pistol completely hand fitted and made from all forged and tool steel parts.
    Price - around $2200-$2400

Of course on the other end of the spectrum a more simple gun from Colt's traditional line is worth considering too. These would be the Series 80 Government Model (also referred to as the 1991), the Series 70 Reproduction, and the new Colt 1911 Classic model. Some folks turn their noses up at the traditional models because they lack some modern features, but they are typically good shooters and make a good base gun for future customization. They also sell at a lower price point than the more "enhanced" models.
    Price = around $750-$850

A couple of questions first:
    - Why a 1911? They are my favorite gun by far, but is there some reason you want to get him a 1911...is it his favorite, has he always wanted one, does he have a dozen already and you want to make it a baker's dozen?
    If he doesn't have an affinity for 1911s and you want to get him a cool gun to honor his time in EOD, then consider one of the 'custom' type Beretta 92s/M9s put out by Wilson Combat or Langdon Tactical...since I imagine he carried an M9 at some point.
    If he served before the M9 came along and carried a 1911, then maybe one of the retro 1911s would be the ticket.

- If it is because he loves 1911s and you want to get him another one, based on the list you have, my vote would be a Wilson Combat. If your husband likes Ken Hackathorn or Larry Vickers, Wilson makes a model for each of those guys. If you just want a nice Wilson, I would look at the CQB line.

Dan Wesson A2 government model

I recently purchased the DW A2 government model. Got 350 rounds through it with JHP and FMJ with no problems. Works with factory mag, Check-mate, Chip McCormick power mag and railed mag.

The reasons I went with DW is 1) Parkerized finish for the GI look, 2) upgraded sights, 3) flared and lowered ejection port, 4) no MIM parts, and 5) value for the money.

As with any firearm purchase, budget and personal preference often make the final decision. I am happy with my A2. They also make a commander version too.

The Wiley Clapp Government Model is hard to beat for the money: https://www.colt.com/detail-page/wil...v-ser-70-45acp
    Last edited by Amp; 08-22-2019 at 10:43 AM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Another option that has been floated is to find a Wilson Combat or similar that has been minimally used. The used market is very soft right now, and 30-40 percent discounts for just a few hundred or thousands of rounds through it are likely. There have been some outstanding bargains offered in this site's classifieds lately. Although that may not be totally attractive as a spousal gift strategy, depending on a family's situation. Personally, if my wife bought me an as-new $3400 gun that I really wanted for more like $2200 (and we could afford that), I'd count that as evidence I chose well.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Another option that has been floated is to find a Wilson Combat or similar that has been minimally used. The used market is very soft right now, and 30-40 percent discounts for just a few hundred or thousands of rounds through it are likely. There have been some outstanding bargains offered in this site's classifieds lately. Although that may not be totally attractive as a spousal gift strategy, depending on a family's situation. Personally, if my wife bought me an as-new $3400 gun that I really wanted for more like $2200 (and we could afford that), I'd count that as evidence I chose well.
    IMO, this is the only option when it comes to a 1911. I'm speaking from experience here when I say that a little patience and diligence will yield you a Wilson, Brown or Baer pistol in new or like new condition at a 35-45% discount. This market reality makes the lower end options pretty unattractive in my book.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Sorry. I've got an entirely different perspective on this.

Twenty-five, thirty years ago I bought my wife the exact pair of heels she'd been pining for. She told me exactly what she wanted, even took me with her when she tried them on in the store for a size check. Apparently the sizes in women's shoes are not consistent across the brands. So one afternoon a couple of days later I stopped in the store and bought the P.R.E.C.I.S.E. pair of shoes she had yearned for.

Turned out I wasn't precise enough. Taupe comes in different shades, I guess. There's taupe-grey and taupe-yellow, and probably others it's unlikely any male I know would recognize, but my wife does. The shoes were meant to go with a specific dress, but they were never worn and have remained in her shoe closet from the time we were invited to read George H.W. Bush's lips.

Shoes are to women what guns are to men: go with him, but let him pick out what he wants. Your job is to (a) stay out of the way until it's (b) time to pay the man behind the counter.

User Tag List