Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Which 1911?

Site Supporter
    Having a budget of $2K+ certainly opens up the options but one needn't spend that much to get a good, reliable 1911. When I carry a basic Series 80 Government which has been thoroughly vetted as reliable, I don't find myself wishing I had spent thousands more.

I'm not saying a previously owned Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, etc... would be a bad choice. Quite the contrary, finding a good deal on one would mean getting a lot for your money. But they aren't the only option to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    IMO, this is the only option when it comes to a 1911. I'm speaking from experience here when I say that a little patience and diligence will yield you a Wilson, Brown or Baer pistol in new or like new condition at a 35-45% discount. This market reality makes the lower end options pretty unattractive in my book.
    Totally agree on the super soft market right now for used semi-custom 1911's, however, I'm not seeing the same 35-45% drops in used Baer pricing. Possibly due to the new cost difference of Wilson/NHC/GI/Brown (roughly $4k) and Baer (roughly $2k). $1800 for a gently used or like new UTC or PII is pretty common, at least from what I've seen on forums and GB. Also not as many Baer's being posted for sale, which could also be a factor.

ETA: I've said it so much I should probably just make it my signature, but Les Baer and DW seem to be the sweet spot in 1911's. You can pay considerably more, but you're not gaining much if anything in functionality, particularly if you don't go full-house from a "wait five years" level builder. At least, that's my opinion after owning three Wilson's. Maybe NHC/Brown/GI offer something better.
    Last edited by StraitR; 08-22-2019 at 09:19 PM.

As others have stated already. I would go with a Dan Wesson. You really can't beat what you get from Dan Wesson for the pirce.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I like this from the go heavy or go home perspective based on learning late how next level awesome the higher end is.
    If $1500 ish is upper limit then high end Colt or Springfield Armory or Dan Wesson.

Strongly recommend dropping Sig and Ruger. Just not the panache for an heirloom gift IMO.

And you are beast mode awesome for being here asking.
    I agree with JHC on dumping the SIG and Ruger. You couldn't go wrong buying me any of the Colts you listed. I would also recommend checking used 1911s in gun shops. One shop here had a pristine Wilson Supergrade and was asking $2400, but they were desperate to move it and indicated a substantial discount was possible.

It may also be possible to get more clues without actually asking him anything. Women are expert interrogators.

If he's cool, he'll never say a word if it's not exactly what he wanted. If you're cool, you'll never ask about it once it's given.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I can't possibly give enough likes to the OP for taking this on, or enough "+1s" to the recommendations AGAINST anything from Ruger, Sig, or Kimber. Not saying a Ruger 1911 isn't a good value for the money, and might now be a workable shooting iron, but it's NOT an heirloom to warm the cackles of a crusty old guy's heart. Sigs are abominations, and if we could pour bleach into that section of the 1911 gene pool, the world would be a better place. And, the guy who single-handedly ruined Sig's reputation (the CEO Ron Cohen) came to Sig after taking a company with a stellar rep (Kimber) and turning it into a high profit trash generator.

On to what TO buy. Colt is iconic, but I've had more issues with Colt pistols than darn near any other brand I've ever owned. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. They'll nearly ALWAYS come with edges so sharp you can shave with them. But, they are THE NAME in traditional 1911s.

Springfield is another "classic" in the 1911 game, but current Springfields (less their very high end models) are "not your Daddy's Oldsmobile" in a BAD way - they're generally hit and miss on reliability, accuracy, fit and finish - all the things that make a great 1911 a great 1911.

Were I in the market for a working 1911 today (and, let's be honest, aren't we ALL always in that camp, down in our secret heart of hearts?) I'd be shopping Dan Wessons, almost exclusively. For a Veteran looking for a piece of history, I'd stick with a classic 5" 45 ACP, no rail, parkerized or blue. For someone with a military bent who's also looking for a carry gun, I'd go with one of their lightweight Commanders, or even a CCO model. On a side note, Dan Wesson, through CZ USA, offers a VERY GENEROUS discount to current and retired LE and mlitary - your husband's service might make these an even better value for y'all.

For a true Heirloom gun, you're looking a MUCH higher price tag, and your options get really tight. My first choice would be Ed Brown, just because they seem to stay closer to the "classic" 1911 styling with exceptional craftsmanship, followed by Wilson.

PLEASE let us know how this turns out for you!
    Last edited by psalms144.1; 08-23-2019 at 08:03 AM.

Since we don't know what the budget really is, and I ASSume she'd rather buy new, I'd choose any of the following for an heirloom type pistol:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/825866426

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/824894052

a PremierII or Custom Carry from: www.cj1911heaven.com/LesBaerInventory.html

Site Supporter
    Agree on the above questions on, especially, usage. Assuming a safe kept pass-down heirloom, I’d go with any quality traditional styled model in a blue finish. I would stay away from the brands mentioned as less 1911-ish. Like Ruger and Sig. My wife “gave” (me permission to buy myself) me a Dan Wesson blued Valor. I would stick to a blue or parkerized finish as it looks traditional and classy. Nothing wrong with stainless but to me doesn’t have the elegance of a polished blue.

Sneak a peek at his collection. If he already has a 1911 I would get a different size. I.e. if he has the government (5 inch barrel) I would get a Commander (4 inch) size and vice versa. Feel free to get a 9mm for other than his only 1911. If this would be his first 1911, first of all, make sure he wants one; a 1911 isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. Then, I would get the traditional government model blue finished Colt. The newer ones are of the best quality Colt has been producing. And I would get it in .45.

Recommended brands: Colt series 70 and WWII reproductions (the 1911/1918 repros have “property of US Army on them. Colt Special Combat Government, Colt Wiley Clapps in either size or the Lightweight Commanders.

Dan Wesson Valor in blue if you can find them, or any of the A2s.

Any of the blued Les Baers

Springfield Armory Milspec

Any blue Wilson, Nighthawk, Ed Brown or the other Semi Customs.

The only addition I can make to what everyone else is saying is to offer the guns hand made by Rob at Alchemy Custom Weaponry. Almost nothing better than his work for a semi custom. Look at the Prime.
    https://alchemy1911.com/prime/
    Last edited by TOTS; 08-25-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    Hi all newbie here,

I want to buy my husband a 1911 for Christmas this year and unsure which route to go and would appreciate ANY advice. He is extremely informative about weapons and is VERY picky about the guns he purchases. I cant ask him what he thinks about any of the models I’m considering because he will figure out what I am up to and I want this to be a complete surprise.
    Are you friends with any of his friends? Could you get one of his friends to pretend they're in the market for a 1911 and ask your husband which one he'd pick?
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

There is a lot of great info and great ideas in this thread. I'm not sure the original poster has been back since asking the question.

User Tag List