Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which 1911?

Which 1911?

Hi all newbie here,

I want to buy my husband a 1911 for Christmas this year and unsure which route to go and would appreciate ANY advice. A little about my husband, he served in the US Army as a EOD tech. He is very patriotic, classy, and supports vets and our country in anyway he can. He is extremely informative about weapons and is VERY picky about the guns he purchases. I cant ask him what he thinks about any of the models I’m considering because he will figure out what I am up to and I want this to be a complete surprise. I know Colt is the gold standard for 1911, but with so many models and high reviews I’m torn. That being said I have narrowed it down to the Sig Sauer We The People, Colt Combat Unit Rail, Colt M45A1, Colt WC Commander in stainless steel, Colt Custom Shop CBQ two tone, or even the Ruger SR1911 (only because I have a ruger and LOVE it, as well as the high reviews).If there are other models that I’m missing that I should consider please let me know!! I’m not basing my decision off of money, I want him to have a beautiful, quality 1911 that he will want to keep forever. ANY input or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    Hi all newbie here,
    I want to buy my husband a 1911 for Christmas this year and unsure which route to go and would appreciate ANY advice.
    or even the Ruger SR1911
    I want him to have a beautiful, quality 1911 that he will want to keep forever. ANY input or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!
    Hey there, if I didn't have a great wife I would ask if you have a sister!
    The Rugers do not have the swagger that other nicer ones do, but I have three of them and they have been very good performers. Others will have some input and there are a bunch of threads you might enjoy. I am late to go shooting or I would find you some links, I am sure some others will be along soon to help.

MMc

Dan Wesson has a generally good reputation, and they look pretty dang good.
    A Vigil would probably be a welcome addition to a 1911 collection.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Hi Bauer-

What's great about the 1911 platform is that you can mod it, upgrade it, or customize it to your heart's desire. I think the best way to approach this is to seek out the best base gun upon which your husband can eventually customize . And Colt Govt 1911s are indeed one of the best base guns to use. any 1911 gunsmith would be happy to work on a Colt as a base gun. I'd consider either the Wiley Clapp Govt or the Gold Cup National Match as possible candidates.

Dan Wesson also makes great 1911s, as does Springfield (the Springfield MilSpec is another great base model to customize).

Good luck!

Site Supporter
    What a fantastic gift!

This will somewhat depend on your budget and how your husband will use the pistol. Will it be a hard-use gun that he shoots a lot? Will it be carried? Will he want to mount a light on it?

The Colt Combat Unit pistol is available with our without the rail. It has a lot of nice features and would probably be my pick from your list.

If the two-tone CQB is truly the Custom Shop version it will be much more expensive than the models made on the standard production line. If it is two-tone grey and black it was probably made on the production line. If it is two-tone black and bronze it was probably made in the Custom Shop. Several hundred dollars separate the two in price.

I'd pick the Ruger over the Sig.

Site Supporter
    Bauer

Good on you for doing this!!!

What is your budget?

What is the intended use of the gun-carried a lot and shot a little, shot a lot, special occasions only etc.?
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 08-21-2019 at 04:31 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If I was in that market, I would buy one of the remaining Valor Commander 9mm stainless models. They are a bargain, but excellent overall.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

That's very nice of you... both the gift idea and the description of your husband.

Getting to your question, the Dan Wesson's are probably the best thing going out there right now especially for the price. To get any nicer and you will be at $4K for a Wilson or Nighthawk (other other semi-custom options). DW offers many different frame sizes, barrel lengths, and calibers. A steel frame, 5" barrel in .45 ACP is the a classic set up. But, something like a lightweight Commander in 9mm is a joy which must be experience to appreciate.

If not a DW, then I'd look for a Springfield Armory TRP. Or, if budget is a concern, and how often isn't that the case, a Springfield Armory Range Officer Elite. Nice thing about the Range Officer Elite is that you have your choice of different styles and calibers. Be forewarned, Springfield Armory bosses were implicated in some pro-gun control scandals in IL recently and they bought themselves a lot of bad blood in the 2nd Amendment community for it. They've recanted, but a lot of people hold grudges. If your husband is one, then this is a brand to avoid, but they make a good, mid-priced 1911 for all of that.

Honestly, I would avoid Colt unless your husband is going to send this off to be completely rebuilt, saving just the frame and slide. Some won't like that, but I've personally experienced far too many problems with multiple Colts over the years to take them seriously.

Ruger makes solid guns, but their 1911's do lack a lot of the panache the model is known for. Bet they work just fine, however.

Without doubt, your gift will bring him much happiness and be a great surprise. Your going to be the subject of much bragging to all of his friends if you pull this off!

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    I’m not basing my decision off of money, I want him to have a beautiful, quality 1911 that he will want to keep forever. ANY input or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!
    You still may want to think of a budget.

A quality 1911 can be had from slightly under $1K to over $4k.

Figuring out the characteristics of the 1911 you'll want will probably make a big difference in price.

For example, if you live in a part of the country where high humidity is a factor, some sort of a coating or plating will become important. Another example is sights, depending on what your husband likes, you may use a gunsmith to remove the ones the gun comes with (like a with a basic Colt) and replace them or go to a company that has already installed the high quality type of sights that your husband will like.

You see the 1911 can be a bit like a lego gun and the more you can tell us about what would please you and your husband in a 1911 the more we can direct you towards the near perfect gun.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

My two cents - the classic 1911 is a 5" gun in .45 ACP, particularly for someone interested in the military heritage. If that lineage is really important, then Colt and Springfield Armory are the real choices here as they are the manufacturers who produced the 1911 for military service. While the current Springfield Armory is not the Springfield Armory of World War II, the current incarnation of the company can proudly point to a number of small military procurements of complete 1911 pistols and parts - particularly their Custom Shop products - that have seen recent service. Still, I would focus on Colt.

Without knowing whether this is a pistol that will be carried or run hard, my inclination is to pick a classic Colt that could serve as a blank canvas for a future custom pistol if the desire struck later. Perhaps the classic Government Model that was recently released (O1991C), or a Series 70 Reproduction (O1970A1CS). It's too bad the Colt WWI reproduction (01918) in black oxide is no longer in production, but there might still be some out there.

I'd argue the Colt M45A1 is the perfect gift for a Marine, but has no real Army connection. That said, it is the last 1911 in active military service (currently with some USMC elements). None of the other pistols are issue weapons.

What a great gift! Good luck!
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 08-21-2019 at 06:43 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List