Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Pick New Glock Sights

Help Pick New Glock Sights

I cant find sights that meet my perceived needs. I possess a stable of various 9mm glocks and advantage arms 22 long rifle conversion that I would like to retrofit all of them with new sights once selected.

Currently I am running heine sights, black serrated steel, no tritium, thinnest possible (0.125" I think). I painted them bright orange after training with Tom Givens. My main dislike is that the paint flakes off. I've tried various types of paint, including the Givens recommended testor's model paint, and I just think it's something that will require regular reapplication which I don't want to deal with. I recognize it sounds petty but I have about ten Glocks of different models (19, 17, 43, 48, 19-sized AA conversion) and it becomes a several hour event to remove the sights, strip them, do a base layer and multiple top layers.

I don't think I need tritium sights but am open to them and the Ameriglo FBI agent sights strike me as a good solution. However, I dislike the rear round part. I know they make a square rear. The problem is there's too many SKUs and I can't figure out what to get and some have restricted distributors. Also, it's possible I might need different front sight heights to get things proper to my carry ammo which is currently 147 HSTs.

I've spent a lot of time reading hundreds of pages of old threads here on various sights and I can't figure out the best route to go. For uniformity, I want all of the Glocks to have the same sights or very similar sight picture.

I want the smallest front sight available. 0.125" or less in case I need to make a precision longer range shot with it. I think 0.140" is too wide. In my mind, I'll either need to make a very close shot in self defense, in which case the sight width doesn't matter, or I'll be making a very long range shot responding to an active shooter to get my family out safe. The long-range shot is extremely unlikely but any shooting as a civilian is unlikely given my lifestyle. I like to shoot NRA B8 targets at 25 yards for fun and I already struggle with my 0.125" front sight covering too much of the target. I'm young and have good eyes. In 25 years I might not have good eyes but by then advances in eye surgery and red dot sights will make it fine that I'm going with 0.125" now.

I want serrated and not smooth sights if possible. Maybe it's just what I'm used to, and I'm open to reconsidering, but I think smooth sides reflect too much glare in bright sun.

There doesn't seem to be serrated front sights with orange on them and tritium.

I want the sights to be orange and be "permanently" painted on by the factory so they won't require reapplication. Hilton Yam 10-8 has an interesting sight with polymer ring.

If I get tritium sights, I'd like to be able to replace the tritium after 10 to 15 years and not discard the sight. Spending $1k+ on sights for ten glocks every 10 to 15 years seems wasteful. Maybe it's okay because as said above, I'm young now but in 20 years I won't be able to see 0.125" sights and red dot tech will be incredible by then. So maybe these really are just a 20-year shelf life product at which point I drill out the tritium, fill in with epoxy, and they become backup sights to the future red dots.

I need suppressor height sights for the a couple of my 19 and 17s that are hosts for suppressors. It's tough to find that with the rest of the things I want.

I'm open to either Straight 8 style tritium layout or standard 3-dot, but as long as they are all the same color tritium. I dislike the different front/rear tritium. I'm also open to mixing/matching sights and getting tritium front only and plain rears. I'm a civilian with a boring life. Chances of me needing a gun exactly in the light circumstance where tritium rears matter, at distances more than arms length are virtually zero. Maybe for cost savings I put plain rears on my backup guns and the 3 guns I carry (43, 48, 19) plus the 17 suppressor gun get tritium rears. But I'd like all guns to have the same front sight.

I need the rear sight to be ledged for one handed racking of the slide off a belt. Very unlikely scenario but I've been running heine ledge rears for a decade, they've never injured me or torn clothing, so there seems to be no reason not to go this route for the potential benefit.

Lots of text here, sorry for that. Every year I think it's time to upgrade my sights, I read threads here for weeks, can't make my mind up and decide to hold off out of indecision.

I've also thought about seeing if I can keep the sights I have now and get them cerakoted bright orange. It might look weird since the whole sight, including top and back will be orange because I don't think they can just apply it to the one side. Was thinking the cerakote would look better and wear less than the testor's paint. I could probably buy a whole second set of front sights (so a spare for each gun) and if they wear off after a couple years, swap it off, until they're all worn and then get them re-cerakoted every decade.

Since you can’t decide, why not pick a set that might work and try it?

Here's a well made set for $54 with a 115 front, 125 rear. No tritium to replace in 10 years. Use code gram10 to get them at that price.

https://www.henningshop.com/Detail.a...3249&CAT=10018

Site Supporter
    Go to the Ameriglo website and mix/match to your hearts content.

Talos,

I’ve been well served with Ameriglo Bold sights. I dislike a U notch so the square notch on the Bold works for me. Yes the front sight is .140 wide but you can still be accurate with it. I do use a .180 tall front on all my gen5’s. Factory recommends .200 tall but I prefer a split the bull rather than a cover the bull. .180 gets me that split the bull.

I shot these two groups at 25 yards last week, with my duty Glock 19 gen5, wearing Ameriglo Bolds. I find them to be plenty accurate and damn fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ameriglo has a newer option called the Trooper. They're not on the website but are shown in the 2019 catalog. I've been running these on a pair of 48's for a few months and really like them.

Catalog link: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/08...23686543796145

Name:  trooper.jpg
Views: 3089
Size:  85.4 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    Ameriglo has a newer option called the Trooper. They're not on the website but are shown in the 2019 catalog. I've been running these on a pair of 48's for a few months and really like them.

Catalog link: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/08...23686543796145

Name:  trooper.jpg
Views: 3089
Size:  85.4 KB
    I like this configuration

If you don't care about tritium get a fiber front from Heine. It will most likely match your rear.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Mr. Givens recommend only the face of the front sight blade be painted?

I do this with some of my J-frames. OK, my wife does it for me - she has much steadier hands than I do.

She freehands it, but I've seen people simply mask things off with tape and apply paint or finger nail polish on top of the old paint after wiping everything off with acetone.

For the need - a bright object to catch your vision and cut through the visual clutter while attaining a flash sight picture - the simple approach works. To be honest, there's no need for removing the sights and going through all you have been. KISS rules the day.

Henie sights are almost impossible to beat and sound like just what you want except that painting them has become a chore. Don't give up a good thing. Reign in the OCD a little bit and I think you will be satisfied with the results.

Did reviews of the Ameriglo FBI contact sights:

http://www.vdmsr.com/2017/09/amerigl...ct-sights.html

And the Defoor, CAP and Pro-I sights:

http://www.vdmsr.com/2015/03/amerigl...dot-glock.html

All of the above are good to go sights.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

User Tag List