Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help Pick New Glock Sights

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    I wish Ameriglo would bring back the regular operator sights back with yellow tritium, same with the trooper sights.

Why not have more option with yellow tritium.

Wilson Combat too. They have a two dot rear for the p30/vp9 with yellow tritium but not Glocks?
    I have a spare set I would sell. With yellow rears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for replies so far guys. My main issue seems to be uniformity. If Henei made all black steel glock 48 sights, I’d probably buy those paint orange and call it a day. But Henie only makes tritium g48 sights.

I’m open to fiber optic but I haven’t seen glock 48 fibers on any of the makers posted here.

Also, I’d like to ideally just use my existing rear Henie ledge sights with new fiber fronts but then the heights have to match and the fibers I saw have shorter sights than my Henie rears were made for.

Still too many decisions sorry it’s tough for me I should just pull the trigger and buy some but I don’t want to keep rebuying sights every couple years I want to decide now and stick with it.

The suppressor sights are also tricky. I think for those tritium is the way to go since it’s mesnt to be a home defense tool.

Maybe everything doesn’t need to be the same and if I run Henie tritium suppressor sights and fiber 19 sights and ameriglo tritiums on my 48, then it’s fine. I was hoping it would all be the same for uniformity in training.

To make it worse a lot of sights don’t tell you the heights so to mix match manufacturers becomes tough or more work if I have to call all of the companies to ask.
    Last edited by talos; 08-24-2019 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by talos View Post
    Thanks for replies so far guys. My main issue seems to be uniformity. If Henei made all black steel glock 48 sights, I’d probably buy those paint orange and call it a day. But Henie only makes tritium g48 sights..
    Can you just paint tritium sights?

Without looking I have to believe Dawson makes Charger sights for G48.

Thanks for replies so far guys. My main issue seems to be uniformity. If Henei made all black steel glock 48 sights, I’d probably buy those paint orange and call it a day. But Henie only makes tritium g48 sights.

I’m open to fiber optic but I haven’t seen glock 48 fibers on any of the makers posted here.

Also, I’d like to ideally just use my existing rear Henie ledge sights with new fiber fronts but then the heights have to match and the fibers I saw have shorter sights than my Henie rears were made for.

Still too many decisions sorry it’s tough for me I should just pull the trigger and buy some but I don’t want to keep rebuying sights every couple years I want to decide now and stick with it.

The suppressor sights are also tricky. I think for those tritium is the way to go since it’s mesnt to be a home defense tool.

Maybe everything doesn’t need to be the same and if I run Henie tritium suppressor sights and fiber 19 sights and ameriglo tritiums on my 48, then it’s fine. I was hoping it would all be the same for uniformity in training.

To make it worse a lot of sights don’t tell you the heights so to mix match manufacturers becomes tough or more work if I have to call all of the companies to ask.
    I have used Trijicon HDs, Ameriglo Hackathorns, Wilson and Dawson sights. For the Glock, there are so many good options available. I know, after so many sight sets, what works for me and what does not. My advice is to just try some that you think you might like. Learn from those, then try more.

I view sights like holsters. An investment in learning.

FWIW, I now run a simple Dawson .125w Tritium and .140w Charger blacked out rear. Easily repeatable setup, no muss, no fuss. Moving towards the Red Dot vs bright front sights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I cant find sights that meet my perceived needs. I possess a stable of various 9mm glocks and advantage arms 22 long rifle conversion that I would like to retrofit all of them with new sights once selected.

Currently I am running heine sights, black serrated steel, no tritium, thinnest possible (0.125" I think). I painted them bright orange after training with Tom Givens. My main dislike is that the paint flakes off. I've tried various types of paint, including the Givens recommended testor's model paint, and I just think it's something that will require regular reapplication which I don't want to deal with. I recognize it sounds petty but I have about ten Glocks of different models (19, 17, 43, 48, 19-sized AA conversion) and it becomes a several hour event to remove the sights, strip them, do a base layer and multiple top layers.

I don't think I need tritium sights but am open to them and the Ameriglo FBI agent sights strike me as a good solution. However, I dislike the rear round part. I know they make a square rear. The problem is there's too many SKUs and I can't figure out what to get and some have restricted distributors. Also, it's possible I might need different front sight heights to get things proper to my carry ammo which is currently 147 HSTs.

I've spent a lot of time reading hundreds of pages of old threads here on various sights and I can't figure out the best route to go. For uniformity, I want all of the Glocks to have the same sights or very similar sight picture.

I want the smallest front sight available. 0.125" or less in case I need to make a precision longer range shot with it. I think 0.140" is too wide. In my mind, I'll either need to make a very close shot in self defense, in which case the sight width doesn't matter, or I'll be making a very long range shot responding to an active shooter to get my family out safe. The long-range shot is extremely unlikely but any shooting as a civilian is unlikely given my lifestyle. I like to shoot NRA B8 targets at 25 yards for fun and I already struggle with my 0.125" front sight covering too much of the target. I'm young and have good eyes. In 25 years I might not have good eyes but by then advances in eye surgery and red dot sights will make it fine that I'm going with 0.125" now.

I want serrated and not smooth sights if possible. Maybe it's just what I'm used to, and I'm open to reconsidering, but I think smooth sides reflect too much glare in bright sun.

There doesn't seem to be serrated front sights with orange on them and tritium.

I want the sights to be orange and be "permanently" painted on by the factory so they won't require reapplication. Hilton Yam 10-8 has an interesting sight with polymer ring.

If I get tritium sights, I'd like to be able to replace the tritium after 10 to 15 years and not discard the sight. Spending $1k+ on sights for ten glocks every 10 to 15 years seems wasteful. Maybe it's okay because as said above, I'm young now but in 20 years I won't be able to see 0.125" sights and red dot tech will be incredible by then. So maybe these really are just a 20-year shelf life product at which point I drill out the tritium, fill in with epoxy, and they become backup sights to the future red dots.

I need suppressor height sights for the a couple of my 19 and 17s that are hosts for suppressors. It's tough to find that with the rest of the things I want.

I'm open to either Straight 8 style tritium layout or standard 3-dot, but as long as they are all the same color tritium. I dislike the different front/rear tritium. I'm also open to mixing/matching sights and getting tritium front only and plain rears. I'm a civilian with a boring life. Chances of me needing a gun exactly in the light circumstance where tritium rears matter, at distances more than arms length are virtually zero. Maybe for cost savings I put plain rears on my backup guns and the 3 guns I carry (43, 48, 19) plus the 17 suppressor gun get tritium rears. But I'd like all guns to have the same front sight.

I need the rear sight to be ledged for one handed racking of the slide off a belt. Very unlikely scenario but I've been running heine ledge rears for a decade, they've never injured me or torn clothing, so there seems to be no reason not to go this route for the potential benefit.

Lots of text here, sorry for that. Every year I think it's time to upgrade my sights, I read threads here for weeks, can't make my mind up and decide to hold off out of indecision.

I've also thought about seeing if I can keep the sights I have now and get them cerakoted bright orange. It might look weird since the whole sight, including top and back will be orange because I don't think they can just apply it to the one side. Was thinking the cerakote would look better and wear less than the testor's paint. I could probably buy a whole second set of front sights (so a spare for each gun) and if they wear off after a couple years, swap it off, until they're all worn and then get them re-cerakoted every decade.
    The ameriglo agents are fantastic and I personally hate u notch rear sights. The way the front sight orange ring is, the u notch works perfectly.

If you don't want those then my next recommendation would be Dawson chargers but I know you don't want just front fiber sights.

Analysis paralysis, my friend.

Perfect is the enemy of good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Analysis paralysis, my friend.

Perfect is the enemy of good enough.
    This. I settled a few years ago with Ameriglo Hackathorns on almost all of my guns, they give me the sight picture I want and are reasonable. I do see the advantage of a uniform sight picture.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List