Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Pick New Glock Sights

Quote Originally Posted by talos View Post
    I painted them bright orange after training with Tom Givens. My main dislike is that the paint flakes off. I've tried various types of paint, including the Givens recommended testor's model paint, and I just think it's something that will require regular reapplication which I don't want to deal with. I recognize it sounds petty but I have about ten Glocks of different models (19, 17, 43, 48, 19-sized AA conversion) and it becomes a several hour event to remove the sights, strip them, do a base layer and multiple top layers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Fate View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Mr. Givens recommend only the face of the front sight blade be painted?

She freehands it, but I've seen people simply mask things off with tape and apply paint or finger nail polish on top of the old paint after wiping everything off with acetone.

To be honest, there's no need for removing the sights and going through all you have been. KISS rules the day.
    I've got to agree with Drifting Fate. I don't know why you would take the sights off the guns to paint them. A little alcohol or acetone wipe down and then repaint, some use a toothpick to apply the paint. Some folks also put a base coat of white on the sight first and then the other color on top after the first coat dries.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I've got to agree with Drifting Fate. I don't know why you would take the sights off the guns to paint them. A little alcohol or acetone wipe down and then repaint, some use a toothpick to apply the paint. Some folks also put a base coat of white on the sight first and then the other color on top after the first coat dries.
    My glock slides have robar NP3 on them and I'm concerned the acetone might impact the finish.

I didn't try a toothpick, I was using some hobby store model paint brushes that are about toothpick size with very small brushes on the end. They were cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Here's a well made set for $54 with a 115 front, 125 rear. No tritium to replace in 10 years. Use code gram10 to get them at that price.

https://www.henningshop.com/Detail.a...3249&CAT=10018
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    If you don't care about tritium get a fiber front from Heine. It will most likely match your rear.
    Both of these are Fiber Optic sights. I thought the consensus was that fibers are good for competition in some cases but are too fragile for CCW purposes? I have zero experience with them. I was hoping they'd work for me, but in reading old PF threads on them, the consensus was poor.

Quote Originally Posted by talos View Post
    Both of these are Fiber Optic sights. I thought the consensus was that fibers are good for competition in some cases but are too fragile for CCW purposes? I have zero experience with them. I was hoping they'd work for me, but in reading old PF threads on them, the consensus was poor.
    I have a hard time believing the consensus was poor.

When the orange model paint flakes off your front sight, does it render your sights useless? Same with a fiber optic rod falling out. Now you just have a set of Defoor sights on your gun.

Not all fiber optic sights are created equal. Look at the Henning front sight I suggested. The fiber rod is in a box and the rear bulb is countersunk into the blade.

I've bought a few sets of used fiber optic sights off eBay. Each had their fiber optic rod installed incorrectly. They just created a big bulb on either end, and there was slop so you were able to move the rod back and forth.

Frank Proctor about how he put fiber optic sights on his pistols while deployed with Army SF in Iraqi.

https://www.recoilweb.com/a-few-thou...ght-59795.html

Mike Pannone waxing poetic about fiber sights for carry.

https://youtu.be/av8Nfjn-230Name:  downloadfile-1.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  11.4 KB

From DocGKRs summary of a class with Bob Vogel

"he uses fiberoptic front sights on all his pistols--competition, LE duty, and CCW. He feels they work just as well for him as tritium sights and reports never having any problems with breakage or fiber loss, but he does install them correctly."
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 08-21-2019 at 10:42 PM.

For day time shooting nothing beats fiber in my opinion. As mentioned, a good fiber sight with the bulb recessed on the front are the best as it helps protect and creates a crisper edge on the fiber. Fiber is also adjustable for brightness by covering the visible portion of the fiber with black marker to dim the sight.

The biggest danger to fiber is cleaning solvents not use of the gun.

I use the Ameriglo Pro Glo front sight. Big orange square, tritium in the middle. Running this on a G19, and soon on a PF9C. Loving this setup.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...rod109020.aspx

I do have a red fiber optic front on one gun, shot and carried it alot, never a problem. Until it gets dark. May replace it with the Ameriglo at some point.

The Ameriglo is a very bright orange, and is very easy to pick up.

I generally leave my stock rear sights alone (Glock), as I like contrast between them and front. When they get too beat up, I replace them with the same factory sight, but in steel. It's solid, and does give you a decent "ledge" to run the slide off of if needed.

Running a front-only setup like this works very well for me, helps me with quick front sight focus. Used Trijicon 3-dot greens plenty in the past, and the way I'm running things now is superior.

Name:  20190821_134952.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  9.7 KB
    Name:  20190821_135010.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  9.7 KB
    Last edited by ViniVidivici; 08-22-2019 at 08:24 AM.

I wish Ameriglo would bring back the regular operator sights back with yellow tritium, same with the trooper sights.

Why not have more option with yellow tritium.

Wilson Combat too. They have a two dot rear for the p30/vp9 with yellow tritium but not Glocks?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    I wish Ameriglo would bring back the regular operator sights back with yellow tritium, same with the trooper sights.

Why not have more option with yellow tritium.

Wilson Combat too. They have a two dot rear for the p30/vp9 with yellow tritium but not Glocks?
    Yep, standard Ameriglo operators with green front and blacked out yellow rear is still my #1 pick of all time.

Ameriglo Hackathorn sights

For my gen 3 Glock 21, I installed Ameriglo Hackathorn sight set. The rear sight is serrated with no inserts.....just black. The front sight is an orange donut with a tritium insert. The rear sight notch is wide, but the front sight is wide too. I got these for one reason......old eyes. Not a target sight, but the front/rear combo works great for me!

Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post

I generally leave my stock rear sights alone (Glock), as I like contrast between them and front.
    The rear plastic dovetail protector is too easily pushed out of alignment to be used as a rear sight.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

User Tag List