Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig SP2022: A few questions, observations

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    I would imagine the only reason it is still in production is for the French government. I think the US Federal Protective Service was running them in 40 at one time, but I think they might have moved on by now.
    Nice, didn't know that-I believe the 5,000 ordered way back in 2005 by U.S. Army TACOM were for DOD police in Iraq. Then there's the 5,000 ordered recently with the other Sig long guns that was probably for some kind of foreign assistance...would be cool if anyone knows about that.

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Believe it or not, the base plates for M&P Compact magazines work great as a low-cost substitute.
    I've heard that. P229 baseplates also work; there is a small gap between the frontstrap but that may actually help avoiding pinch during a reload, like the Springer baseplates I linked above.

Vending Machine Operator
    I just re-purchased an SP2022 earlier this month after having one a few years ago.

It's just a nice gun to have around. No quality issues to speak of, fairly accurate, pretty good trigger pull. Reminds me Sig's old reputation as trouble-free.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I currently carry an SP2022 in a JMCK Wing Claw 2.5. I got the 2.5 back in November and I didn’t realize JMCK wasn’t offering the mold anymore.

I like the trigger. I don’t have a lot of experience with different guns but I’ve never felt the trigger hindered my shooting. When I miss with this gun, it’s all my fault.

Having DA is great with dry fire. Just remember to mimic running the decocking lever after coming off target to ingrain that habit.

I love love love being able to check the hammer when holstering or putting the gun in my safe. Gives me a warm fuzzy.

The grip has a good texture that keeps the gun in my hand. The downside is that it can rub on the skin after a while if I’m not wearing an undershirt.. I have had polyester mesh shirts catch on the grip, though. It’s a gritty sandpaper-like texture that can act like Velcro on certain fabrics. It also collects dirt, skin cells, etc. over time.

The finish has held up to daily carry in two Florida summers so far. I don’t see any rust on the gun.

I’ve only put maybe 1,000 rounds through mine. The only issues I’ve had are 1) slide not locking back on empty when my thumb rises the slide release and 2) auto-forwarding of the slide when reloading aggressively a few times. No failures to fire, failures to extract, double feeds, nothing.

Aftermarket support isn’t great, but there are some options. Trijicon HDs work very well on mine. Magazines are expensive but available. Parts are pretty cheap and available since the gun is still in production.

I wish there was a bobbed or flush hammer option. I often carry mine in a Smartcarry due to environment and dress code issues and the hammer sometimes digs into my gut.

Site Supporter
    Richmond VA, PD used the .357 SIG version for years until just recently when they transitioned to G17s. I was not aware of any problems with the gun and they had multiple shoots that the round worked well.
    We used their indoor range on occasion to qualify our Command Staff. The Undersheriff at the time, who is usually an excellent shot, had a horrible grouping at seven yards and the gun "sounded and felt strange" during firing. He accidentally picked up a box of Richmond PD's .357 SIG Lawman practice ammo instead of our .40 Winchester practice rounds. I still rib him about that occasionally....
    Last edited by deputyG23; 08-27-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I just re-purchased an SP2022 earlier this month after having one a few years ago.

It's just a nice gun to have around. No quality issues to speak of, fairly accurate, pretty good trigger pull. Reminds me Sig's old reputation as trouble-free.
    From a practical standpoint, I've got more than a sneaking suspicion that it's pretty much the only contemporary SIG that is maintaining that previous SIG reputation....and I concurrently suspect that the ongoing French and possibly other organizational contracts (and what I presume is their baseline material and QC requirements) have had a positive, and continuous causal effect/impact on that...

Currently the 2022 is the only SIG product that I feel totally comfortable in recommending.

Best, Jon

I've pretty much decided to go all-in on these. I made an impulse buy yesterday of a 2-tone .40 at my LGS. Looks to be new-old stock with a manufacture date of JAN 2014. Not really looking to have a .40 in the stable, but from some reading and trying it out myself, it seems that you can go from .40-9 with just a barrel swap. If nothing else it's another frame and other small parts, and the 2 tone does look kinda slick. Plus a .40 capability for whatever reason I might ever need it. These guns do handle .40 really well, at least the 2340's do.

As it stands, I have a stable of 2 recent production 2022 9mms (one on layaway), a new .40, and I may snag one more 9 at the relatively low price my LGS has them right now. Keeping a P2000SK as a smaller carry gun if needed. I have a couple of Colt 6920s, a DDM4V9, and a MK18 pistol on the long gun front. That's probably what my line up is going to look like before too long, with everything else I sell going towards stacking ammo and mags as deep as I feel like going, with some small parts squirreled away. Long term plan is to focus more on shooting, combatives, PT in general, no more gun of the month....got to where I had enough guns and peripheral stuff that it was hard to focus, didn't enjoy the accumulation. Really just getting down to less having less stuff in general.

Always relied on being issued plates, gear etc. but now have a plate carrier on the way with some plates sourced locally before too long.

Probably seems like a fair degree of thread drift, but after deciding to freeze my gun buying habits and dial in on the SP2022, this is where my thinking is going.

Site Supporter
    The Marie Kondo strategy of guns. I'm trying to get there too.

Quick question: Do these guns use standard P22X sight cuts?

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    The Marie Kondo strategy of guns. I'm trying to get there too.

Quick question: Do these guns use standard P22X sight cuts?
    Ha, yes indeed.

Everything I've read says that they have the same dovetails, so standard P series sights will fit.

I moved to my SP2022 during the p320 debacle. I too have a JMCK wing claw for it which Tony made some time ago.

I am very pleased with mine, and, to be honest, I LOVE the fact that I'm not reading about them everywhere...every trouble free day that goes by without any reports of problems just solidifies how pleased I am that I made the decision to move to it from the p320.

Given everything we read about Sig, and I am the last person anyone would consider an expert, I am forced to agree with the earlier post which said that this is about the best Sig you can buy now.

The SP2022 the Px4 models are about the extent of my interest, frankly.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I’ve always been attracted to these, but never jumped - it would only be a toy. But one in 357 SIG would be fun to have around...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List