Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fort Knox Gun Safes Article

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Safes like the Fort Knox designs are rated for five minutes...
    Rated for a minimum of five minutes. That is actual tool time on the safe. If the UL technician stops to use the bathroom or get a drink of water the clock stops. Same once five minutes is reached.

Fort Knox will also add internal reinforcements of carbon steel, stainless steel or AR500. Any of these should make the safe that much more protected during an actual attack. In theory it should take twice the time to cut through two layers of 10g vs one layer of 7g. Stainless will help with torch attacks and AR500 should help protect against cutting wheels and grinders.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

As a professional fabricator, I realize a safe like the Fort Knox won't stop a determined thief. A heavier safe made from thicker materials won't. Whatever man makes, man can un-make. I also know what it's like cutting steel with a cheap portable saw. Cheap portable saws lack the torque to cut anything quickly, even mild steel. A good portable saw is another story.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Have you actually used a cheap portable saw to cut thick plates?
    I have a Fein slugger which is not an expensive saw. Mainly use it for breaking down 1/4" plate but have cut 3/8" and 1/2" plate as well. Cuts 1/2" plate like butter and does it fast. Milwaukee also has a small cordless saw that I've watched a mobile welding service cut 1/4" plate with ease. My Fein saw works well enough I sold a massive DoAll vertical saw to recoup the floor space.

For anyone that isn't familiar with the saw, here's a video showing a $300 saw going through 1/2" plate like butter. Jump to 10:15 to skip the tool review and watch to good stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI1SEKyO6pY

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Rated for a minimum of five minutes. That is actual tool time on the safe. If the UL technician stops to use the bathroom or get a drink of water the clock stops. Same once five minutes is reached.

Fort Knox will also add internal reinforcements of carbon steel, stainless steel or AR500. Any of these should make the safe that much more protected during an actual attack. In theory it should take twice the time to cut through two layers of 10g vs one layer of 7g. Stainless will help with torch attacks and AR500 should help protect against cutting wheels and grinders.
    Yes, you can pay Fort Knox to build a crazy expensive and freakishly heavy safe that will defeat most thief's but that money is probably better spent on other security measures to protect your valuables.

Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    ...here's a video showing a $300 saw going through 1/2" plate like butter. Jump to 10:15 to skip the tool review and watch to good stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI1SEKyO6pY
    That's a sweet saw! Not what I would call cheap (although it looks like it's worth every penny).
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Anybody get many reports of home burglaries using plasma cutters? I never did. Here in Realityville, they steal accessible items that they can pawn or sell. Prescriptions, jewelry, cash, DVD/CDs, guns, etc.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Anybody get many reports of home burglaries using plasma cutters? I never did. Here in Realityville, they steal accessible items that they can pawn or sell. Prescriptions, jewelry, cash, DVD/CDs, guns, etc.
    I can see two instances where a cutting torch might be involved. One would be pre-planning. Two is crooks break in to some place and see a safe. Come back later with a torch.

Scenario One is probably pretty unlikely. I'd go with pharmacies or gun stores as more likely targets. Scenario Two would probably be a farmhouse or something where the thieves know the owners are out of town.

Make that three instances. Home owner has a torch on premises that is readily accessible to the burglars.

I have a Knox safe, and am very happy with it. My purchase was based on making a break-in time-consuming enough that my security system will bring law enforcement before the safe is breached.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

There have been other gunsafe threads in the past which are probably worth finding. That said, Fort Knox is one of the few brands i'd recommend. I usually point people in the direction of the Amsec BF series since Amsec is pretty much the only "gun" safe with real fire protection (not just wall board).

I've always found Ft. Knox to be good looking safes. When I was looking, I didn't want to pay for a good looking safe, I wanted more steel and less time spent on a paint job that no one will ever see.

That said Ft. Knox (and pretty much everyone) has a better dealer network than Amsec so they will probably be easier to source. If you order one, make sure that you specify a layer of steel on the inside (it's not standard) so that if you have a fire, wallboard is not crumbling and turning to steam all over you possessions. Not to mention the security benefit.

Be mindful that many of the big boy companies like to play word games with steel gages. They'll say that their safes are 8, 10, 11 gage, etc. but in reality are multiple thinner sheets layered up to equal said gage. The only thing that is good for is profit margins since several thinner layers are cheaper than one thicker one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I can see two instances where a cutting torch might be involved. One would be pre-planning. Two is crooks break in to some place and see a safe. Come back later with a torch.

Scenario One is probably pretty unlikely. I'd go with pharmacies or gun stores as more likely targets. Scenario Two would probably be a farmhouse or something where the thieves know the owners are out of town.

Make that three instances. Home owner has a torch on premises that is readily accessible to the burglars.

Skill levels are pretty low, so I'd bet that if they recognized a torch and tried to use it, your house is getting burned down. I could see them using a stolen 1 ton to yank a safe from a garage or room with exterior door access, though. They're pretty into vehicle smash and grabs these days.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    During the Great Recession, metro Atlanta had a spate of burglaries where the doers cut through fences and the sides of houses to gain access. The thieves were identified as construction workers affected by the downturn. They used tools from their old profession in the new profession. Those are the only ones I remember with plasma cutters. I do not remember if any safes were accessed, but I do remember firearms were stolen.
    Last edited by farscott; 08-22-2019 at 05:54 PM.

User Tag List