Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DNA Analysis Just Made The Eerie Mystery of Himalayan 'Skeleton Lake' Even Stranger

First off, all:

And

As to Paulides, I’ve heard that guy interviewed several times. Damn entertaining, especially if one lives close to one or more of his better-researched clusters, as I do. He was probably a fine investigator, and he’s a compelling interview.

Now about those bones from all over the world, from different epochs, hanging out in a lake together.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    This probably isn't the first time a thread in General Discussion drifted off topic, and it likely won't be the last.

You seem to be more upset over this than you need to be. Are you a Paulides Disciple?
    My personal views on this or any other subject, are irrelevant to the point I am making.

It’s a little disturbing when well respected members start ridiculing...*something completely unrelated from the topic at hand*.

Whatever you or anyone else believes, what, exactly, has pretty much anyone but blues and RR added to this thread that was either funny, or interesting?

I’d like to see a legitimate discussion of the original topic at hand, as it’s fascinating, rather than a spin off of what people choose to believe on subjects that are, frankly, irrelevant.

Now, I’m getting a little oxygen deprived from standing up here on this milk crate. I’ll jump down now.
    Last edited by Dan_S; 08-21-2019 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    My personal views on this or any other subject, are irrelevant to the point I am making.

It’s a little disturbing when well respected members start ridiculing...*something completely unrelated from the topic at hand*.

Whatever you or anyone else believes, what, exactly, has pretty much anyone but blues and RR added to this thread that was either funny, or interesting?

I’d like to see a legitimate discussion of the original topic at hand, as it’s fascinating, rather than a spin off of what people choose to believe on subjects that are, frankly, irrelevant.

Now, I’m getting a little oxygen deprived from standing up here on this milk crate. I’ll jump down now.
    LOL at "It's a little disturbing". Then do what 99% of the population does when they see something they don't like, just scroll past and move on with your life.

Or, put the offending party/parties on your ignore list. That way you won't be disturbed by such atrocities.

You've now contributed to as much off topic material as you're upset with other people over. Maybe put yourself on the ignore list too.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/20/s...-roopkund.html

Essentially the same article but with a couple of other interesting tidbits. It is fascinating.

(And, in truth, a perfect vehicle for humorous explanations.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Man, wait until I unveil my exhaustive, exclusive-to-PF theory that it’s actually the current NY AG who’s responsible for the disappearance of all those rank-and-file NRA members from our national parks over the years. People are going to lose their fucking minds.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Man, wait until I unveil my exhaustive, exclusive-to-PF theory that it’s actually the current NY AG who’s responsible for the disappearance of all those rank-and-file NRA members from our national parks over the years. People are going to lose their fucking minds.

Further possibles:

"We're the Hekawi"

A lost tribe of Israel

Early NOLS / Outward Bound Expeditions

Asian drivers

Area 51 overflow

Now we know why Trump needs Greenland

It'll be just as nice as a trip to the Mediterranean

Come for the mountains, stay for the fresh fish
    Last edited by blues; 08-21-2019 at 03:20 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post

Dude, slow your roll, I need about 15 mins to gather fresh popcorn and adult beverages.
    I suspect it will be EPIC!!
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    So the DNA theories are weak?

I found the date range the more interesting bit. It would be interesting to know whether there was a relatively steady stream of individuals over time, or distinct clusters of people with similar dating. And how tight were those time clusters (if there are clusters)? And if so, can they be correlated to known events?
    Not weak. Just not a slam dunk. The bulk of the genotypes for the earlier arriving group are Greek-origin, but they also contain a substantial amount of non-Greek alleles. That just means there was mixture. Not surprising, given both the history and nature of humans.

The first arrival event is the Greek ones and that was about 1800 BC. Which correlates with the rise of the Babylonian Empire (Hammurabi), the collapse of the Indus Valley Empire, was a middle-period of Egyptian empires, and Troy IV/V (still several hundred years from Troy VII the one described by Homer) was flourishing.

You also see Aegean Sea metalwork that looks like near East. Suggesting that human interchange was ongoing during this period between the Med and Eurasian cultures. Not a big surprise, Troy was basically running the straits between the Med and the Black Sea. People obviously had boats by then.

If I had to guess - they were just western travellers/traders moving along a trade route that was again used later.

As for why the lake has skeletons in it. Could be a flash snow storm caught people unawares and killed them. Which wouldn’t be unheard of. People shelter near lakes frequently. Could be that the lake itself was poisonous at various times and killed them. We’ll probably never know. What this is good evidence of, is an ancient route that was travelled more frequently and for longer than we previously thought. Calling this anything else in the absence of actual evidence would be over interpreting the data available from dates and ancient DNA.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Further possibles:

"We're the Hekawi"

A lost tribe of Israel

Early NOLS / Outward Bound Expeditions

Asian drivers

Area 51 overflow

Hmmm. Some of those could poke a hole into my exhaustively-researched theory, alright. Curse you, Mr Nice Guy.

But yoiu've forgotten one:

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    The first arrival event is the Greek ones and that was about 1800 BC. Which correlates with the rise of the Babylonian Empire (Hammurabi), the collapse of the Indus Valley Empire, was a middle-period of Egyptian empires, and Troy IV/V (still several hundred years from Troy VII the one described by Homer) was flourishing.
    I am curious which Greeks those were.

It seems to be around the time of the height of the Minoan Civilization, wouldn't it? The first major Greek tribes (Ionians, Aeolians and Achaeans) hadn't really formed their own civilizations yet, I think (I'm going from memory here).

It would make sense that Greeks that in some manner were part of the Minoan civilization would follow the trade routes but it may not be. Is there a way to find out?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List