Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cub Scouts for girls

Cub Scouts for girls

My 8 year old daughter comes home from school yesterday and tells us that “some guy from the cub scouts” came to her 3rd grade classroom and told them all about it, Including that it is for both boys and girls. I’m frankly surprised that she has any interest as she’s typically the ”girly one” and both our kids are pretty spoiled when it comes to family trips, accommodations, etc. I would have thought that the idea of camping for her would have held zero interest, but she says she wants to join.

Now, I’m the kind of guy that would have said “cub scouts is for boys, Girl Scouts is for girls”, but after looking into the Girl Scouts for her (a) the woman my wife encountered when trying to get information about the Girl Scouts was a total cooz (b) I don’t want to sell no goddamn cookies and (c) their activities seem lame anyway. If your only commentary in this thread is to tell me that cub/Boy Scouts is for boys, please just save yourself the typing. I get it. But I’m not really interested in hearing about it.

What I AM wanting to hear is...

Anyone have their girl in cub scouts or Boy Scouts? Any thing you can share about the experience?

Anybody with a boy in either that’s encountered girls participating that can share any insight?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I don’t want to sell no goddamn cookies
    I vehemently object to scheme that reduces the free flow of Girl Scout Cookies.

I don’t want to sell no goddamn cookies...
    The thing is that people want to buy Girl Scout Cookies. They almost sell themselves.
    The Cub Scout fundraiser is selling (expensive) popcorn that no one seems to really want.
    Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy in NH View Post
    The thing is that people want to buy Girl Scout Cookies. They almost sell themselves.
    The Cub Scout fundraiser is selling (expensive) popcorn that no one seems to really want.
    I buy Tagalongs like a crack fiend, but I've never bought the popcorn.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    On a Civilian Carry Radio podcast, I heard Baracca (sp?) talking about his daughter being in "American Heritage Girls", which sounds like what the Girl Scouts used to be, without the cookie sales. That's all I know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy in NH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Not to further this hijack, but...

I tend not to have my kids participate in this form of begging anyway. We can pay our own way. I’d rather just give the money direct to the school/club than have the cookie/popcorn company take 75% off the top. I routinely put $50 & $100 bills in the jar when the cub scouts are out in front of the grocery store selling popcorn. I don’t mind helping, but I don’t want the junk food. Hopefully they keep 100% of that money.

I actually don’t mind the kids when they do it on their own, what irks me and what I don’t want to be involved in being one of, is the parents who sell the garbage for the kids. However, if pressed to sell popcorn for cub scouts maybe I just buy all of it that she can’t sell on her own then give it away at work. Best of both.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    On a Civilian Carry Radio podcast, I heard Baracca (sp?) talking about his daughter being in "American Heritage Girls", which sounds like what the Girl Scouts used to be, without the cookie sales. That's all I know about it.
    There are some local groups here and there that are kind of unaffiliated “scouts” of one variety or another. Oddly the boy/cub scouts now takes girls and any manner of sexual orientation (both as scouts and as adult leaders, apparently) but won’t take atheists. sign o the times, I guess.

There are some local groups here and there that are kind of unaffiliated “scouts” of one variety or another. Oddly the boy/cub scouts now takes girls and any manner of sexual orientation (both as scouts and as adult leaders, apparently) but won’t take atheists. sign o the times, I guess.
    Annd theres an upcoming SJW cause/ movement.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Yes, if you have somoas I will follow you like a coke fiend. Take my money!

Don't get hung up on boy vs. girl scouts. What really matters is the individual scout leaders for the troops you are looking at. They really determine what the packs are doing.
    Wife was the troop leader for the daughter's girl scouts. They went shooting, fishing, hiking, dog charity events, spent the night in the middle of San Antonio zoo next to the big cats, and camping. We even did a haunted trail camping once on Halloween with each troop making their own haunted bit of the trail.

And you think boy scouts cook well camping. they's got nothing on girl scouts. One mom set up a freaking chuck wagon out of the back of her SUV.

Inversely when the boy was scouting our daughter was an honorary scout with them as well (this was before all the recent stuff when they were very separate). She did the slot car races, caping etc. She liked it too, which is what led us to start the GS troop ourselves.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 08-21-2019 at 08:05 AM.

Girls in Scouts

I never did boy scouts growing up, but my wife's family is pretty in to it. My brother in law is an Eagle Scout. With that said, our 7 year old son has been doing it for about 2 years now. He is in a gender integrated pack(not all packs are). Seems like the SOP here is to keep the boys and girls in separate dens though. Not sure if that's policy for all of scouts.

From my observations, the inclusion of girls was well thought out. I like that there are intentionally placed male and female scoutmasters and den leaders. Also there are planned activities for all as well as smaller breakouts with just boys and just girls. Definitely not a ''what could possibly go wrong'', ''everyone's the same'' Army type mentality.

So, for now, I don't see any real down side. My 5 year old daughter has shown some interest, while my 10 year old daughter has no desire to try or participate in scouting. I think there are great benefits to these boys and girls learning how to act and treat each other. We'll see how it plays out. My feelings may change once my kids are 14-17 as the likelihood of...Ah, I don't want to think about that yet.

User Tag List