Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spaghetti and waffles...............

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpnav View Post
    What kind of watch were you going to 'trade' for a 1911? Along with 1911s, I do love a good watch.
    Lately, I've had an itch for a Doxa Sub, but this money wouldn't have got me all the way there. I was looking at a Hamilton Venture, or a couple of microbrands I like.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Those are tempting me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Those are tempting me.
    When I was young we had a M84 and have some fond memories, the fact that I would be tugged at by a 32ACP cousin shows just how bad this illness is...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 08-24-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Site Supporter
    Is rim lock as much of an issue with double stack .32s?

@Trooper224, I just wanted to let you know that I hate you. BDAs make the most sense as M92 backups because they both have slide mounted decockers, hence I've wanted one bad for some time.

A friend just bought one of the .32s, but doesn't have it in his hands yet.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    @Trooper224, I just wanted to let you know that I hate you. BDAs make the most sense as M92 backups because they both have slide mounted decockers, hence I've wanted one bad for some time.

A friend just bought one of the .32s, but doesn't have it in his hands yet.
    Hate the game, not the player.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Is rim lock as much of an issue with double stack .32s?
    I have no experience with double stack .32 pistols, but have done a bunch of work on eliminating the potential for rimlock in a P-32.

There are different ways to reduce or eliminate the possibility of rimlock, all of which have their limitations.

Some choose to shoot FMJ ammo, which typically has a longer overall length than JHP ammo in .32 auto caliber. This eliminates the space in the magazine needed for a rimlock to occur.

Some magazines are designed from the start to only use specific ammo, for example, the Seecamp .32. By designing the magazine specifically around shorter JHP ammo, this ammo can be used without a possibility of rimlock. The disadvantage is very limited ammo selection.

Some have attempted to add spacers to the back of existing magazines, shortening the follower accordingly, to permit use of JHP ammo without the possibility of rimlock. I experimented with both homemade spacers and unadvertiaed spacers made by Kel-Tec. In both cases, the result was a significant increase in the likelihood of premature slidelock.

The conclusion I ultimately came to is that rimlock occurs while cartridges are being inserted into the magazine. If care is taken while this is being done, then the same rim interaction that makes rimlock such a huge problem will also prevent the rimlock from occurring in the first place.

So, if one is careful in loading the magazine, I would think a double column magazine would be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Hate the game, not the player.
    OK, I'm over it. That is the best looking BDA I've seen since they still sold them new.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

The more I shoot this gun the more I like it.

So far, I've been shooting various cheap factory fmj loads out of it, mostly Armscor and Winchester. Today, I decided to start experimenting with various HP loads, etc. First up this afternoon was the Sig 90 grain V Crown. This round seems to have a good level of consistency in its performance. It comes in on the low end of the FBI protocol, but it seems to meet it regarding consistency in penetration and expansion. The BDA's four-inch (3.8) barrel provides a big advantage here, when compared to so many guns chambered for the round, where there's often more chamber than rifling. With top loads I consider the .380 to be the glass floor in what I now consider acceptable for carry.

I fired the first five round group at twenty five yards, using a two-handed hold offhand. This was a slow fire string using a one shot, rest, one shot, rest methodology. This resulted in an 1.5 inch group with a three round cloverleaf and the two remaining rounds opening it up a bit. Two more runs showed this performance is repeatable. I still find that surprising from a gun this small. I then moved on to one of my standard drills: drawing from concealment and firing five rounds into a six-inch circle, within five seconds at twenty five yards. Success hovered at 98%, with errant shots falling just outside the six-inch line. Moving in closer to the five to ten yard lines, speed drills like Bill Drills and Garcia Dot Drills are insanely easy with this smallish, low recoiling pistol. I do wish the sights were better, but I haven't had an issue with them thus far.

This kind of gun has fallen out of favor due to issues of size efficiency. With many choices chambered in 9mm being as small, or smaller, many don't see the logic in a .380 this large. I have to admit, there's a lot of sense in that viewpoint. However, none of those choices seem to fit my hand as well as the BDA. Most of them are also striker fired, whereas the BDA is a DA/SA, which has become my strong preference. The BDA also shares the same operating system as my main EDC: the Beretta 92. A gun this size seems to be my dividing line as to what I can get "big gun" performance out of. I've ordered a holster and will continue to see how things pan out, but for now the BDA continues to surprise me with its overall performance. Unless I encounter some unforeseen issue in the future, I'm considering using this as a "discreet gun for discreet situations". I'm sure my younger self from thirty years past would punch me in the mouth for considering such a gun for carry, but give the old man a break.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 09-04-2019 at 04:31 PM.

User Tag List