Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI on preferred companies for slide milling.

Was just down at Mark Housel's place (L&M Precision), and thought about this thread. Mark had spaced out on a work table a long line of slides and red dots, going through his process. But what made me really appreciate the machine work knowledge that was necessary for this business was the variety of adapter plates he was machining. There were not only those necessary for certain initial installations (e.g., a plate with an integral rear sight), but also those where a customer asked for a slide to be adapted so a Brand X red dot could be replaced with a Brand Y red dot. And more . . .

I'm sure there are quite a few talented people available to do this work. Still, it's nice to see first hand the variety of quality work that can be done. And Mark is a really nice guy too!

Quote Originally Posted by bravo7 View Post
    I’ve paid for some of the big names thrown out over the years and they are good, but I’ve also realized they are priced pretty high in this day and age for what is required. I’ve paid a fraction of the cost and have been very pleased with the quality of work and quick turn around with Zeroed In Armory.

Thanks for the tip on Zeroed in Armory.

A short thread drift, or if you prefer you can pm me, but what holsters are you using to carry those Roland Special type builds?

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    There seems to be a lot of good options for optics cuts.

I took a risk on a local guy that was recommended by a DFW area shooting group: Vulcan Machine Werks. So far, so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    I’ve had Vulcan, L&M, Primary Machine and all seemed good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Another vote for Vulcan. They did a G45 slide cut for an ACRO P-1. It's excellent.
    You guys still happy with Vulcan?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    You guys still happy with Vulcan?
    I only have a few thousand rounds through that particular gun, but yes, I'd use him again. The mount and Cerekote have held up well.

As an aside, he's started doing grip stippling too. He does a generic looking stipple job and a very high texture rubbery grip coating that looks interesting for a duty or competition gun. They're too pokey for concealed carry. I have a couple carry guns that could use a stipple job - they'll probably go to Boresight Solutions.
    David S.

Thanks! After the first outing with the G19/Dueck RBU/Holosun combo I think I'm ready to have the slide milled...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

My G45 is doing fine. I loaned it to my Army Captain nephew.

Even an officer couldn't mess it up. I was pleased.

CWM11B
    Another vote for L&M. He did the slide on my old duty pistol and I have been nothing but pleased. He us somewhat local to me, so I made a couple of short day trips to deliver and pick up my slide. Very impressed with the organization of his shop and the number of slides he had in the que from all manner of makes and models. I've got a couple more in mind for him to configure for me.

Who's best for USP slides? Thinking about a SRO or ACRO on a USP 9.

L&M did a Unity Tactical ATOM installation on a G19 several years ago that worked flawlessly.

More recently, I had Primary Machine mill a VP9 for me that turned out quite nicely. I put 4,800 trouble-free rounds through it before the RMR crapped out (early 2013 model). I was happy enough with the quality of the work that I sent a second VP9 slide to them last month.

It seemed to me that Apex posts a lot of social media pictures of pistols with optics, and it made me wonder if they might be doing milling. I couldn't find anything on their www but to confirm I sent them an email.

They do not.

User Tag List