Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Colt announces King Cobra Target revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    FFS, nobody gonna do pics? Used to be some standards around here...just sayin.

https://pistol-forum.com/attachment....1&d=1566491814

Jenkies Scoobie, those are some yuge pics!
    Me likey
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 08-23-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Yeah I have to agree with Stephanie B, I may have to go back to work to purchase a 3" KC as it just outshines my 3" SP in so many ways. My 2017 is an "old man" CC gun and I love it for it shoots POA/POI with several different loads. Both the J frames and the SPs require Kentucky windage. The trigger and type of sights, far outclass the Ruger. 6th round is a bonus. And the single action option, my K6 doesn't have.

I'll stop I'm just repeating all that others have noted, on this forum. As my dear old sainted Mama used to say: "If there is a will, there is a way, to buy a KC."

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    We'll have to disagree on that. This thing is as ugly as an old Dan Wesson.
    I have to revise my previous statement: if Colt got drunk and banged Rossi in a dive bar shitter, this would be the result.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Over the course of my adult life, I‘ve owned some revolvers.

I’ll just observe that the King Cobra 3" is my current favorite. FWIW.

At least, until the rimfire snake comes out...

PS:
    I have to revise my previous statement: if Colt got drunk and banged Rossi in a dive bar shitter, this would be the result.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Yeah, this one {4" target} somehow lacks the laconic hotness of the Night, 3" King, and King carry.

Damn good thing they left the OEM rubber off this iteration—that would have been pretty far into"Rossi clone" territory, IMHO.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 08-23-2019 at 11:10 AM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Ok, I admit I am biased on everything related to the old King Cobras, because I remember the scorn all the old guys heaped on them at the LNGS when they were a new thing. No one wanted one of those over a Smith or a Ruger. My judgment on aesthetics may be off.

At least it doesn't look like Colt banged a Windicator. Or an RG.
    Last edited by Baldanders; 08-23-2019 at 06:06 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

I have to admit that the grips seem to belong on a different, larger gun, but I suspect that once you got your hands on it, you might forget any cosmetic imperfections because of how good it feels.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    Ok, I admit I am biased on everything related to the old King Cobras, because I remember the scorn all the old guys heaped on them at the LNGS when they were a new thing. No one wanted one of those over a Smith or a Ruger. My judgment on aesthetics may be off.

At least it doesn't look like Colt banged a Windicator. Or an RG.
    I owned one of the originals and thought it was an attractive and solid piece. The prices they command today are crazy stupid, but that's no reflection on the guns utility.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I have only a few rounds (less than 20) through the new 3" KC so far, had RSO duty the other night, my backup was already doing me a favor by staying late to let me shoot (rules = two of us present to shoot at that range) so didn't want to keep him too long. I'll wring it out more thoroughly in the next few days. Early impressions:

- Agree that the size is near ideal;
    - Although the KC is allegedly an ounce heavier than the 3" SP-101, the KC balances better in my hand and as a result feels lighter than it is;
    - The cylinder release was a bit tight at first but has already loosened up and is already smooth;
    - As stated earlier, the trigger is really nice. Light, smooth, a bit of stacking at the very end but nothing that concerns me;
    - I wish Colt had made that rear sight trough a little deeper. I'm sure they work fine for young eyes, mine are no longer young and at first I found myself not nesting the front sight deeply enough in there and shooting a bit high. The brass bead front is great in good light, of course shooting ranges are notorious for not having good light (???);
    - This one is specific to my hands, but I rarely do well with narrow grips and these are on the narrow side. Pretty sure it will shoot better for me after I order something a little wider;
    - The plus on the factory grips is that 38 sp in an HKS DS speedloader slides right in there. haven't tried 357 yet, the extra length may make that a tight fit., fits nicely.
    - As stated in a couple of reviews, the trigger is a bit narrow. Not an issue for most uses, might get a little unpleasant after a few hundred rounds pressing on that same spot on the finger;
    - Ejection is fine with both 38 and 357 as long as one is assertive on the ejection rod.

ETA: Just tried 357 135gr short barrel Gold Dot in the DS speedloader, it still loads but as expected is a tight fit and just barely makes it in there. A little better with 140gr Barnes XPB. Neither is as fast and slick as with 38's.
    Last edited by Salamander; 08-24-2019 at 07:42 PM.

That’s a good summary. @Salamander
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I am still vary wary of the durability of these and their 3" brethren, as no one has given a satisfactory answer as to the material composition and treatment of the fire control components on these revolvers. On the previous MK V, King Cobra, etc. Colt revolvers, these components were merely surface hardened, and were incapable of receiving any action work other than by spring replacement due to the relatively thin surface hardening.

The two recent 3" examples that I've handled did have excellent out-of-the-box trigggerpulls, but the potential fragility and limited lifespan of these revolvers remains a critical concern for me, as well as their relatively high price. Until there are satisfactory answers and sufficient fielding and use, I'll let others be the beta testers, and I'll remain firmly in the Ruger camp.

Best, Jon

User Tag List