Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Colt announces King Cobra Target revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    The 3" King is listed at 28oz. I can tell you that the King feels absolutely miniature next to my 4" NY-1 K, since I just shot them side-by-side earlier this week. I really like the new Colts.

If I was a betting man, I’d guess the specs on the 4.2" to be 32.5-33oz when they come out. Time will tell.
    Do you have any insight regarding how the 3" King Cobra compares to the 3" SP101, size wise?
    Last edited by Lester Polfus; 08-22-2019 at 12:33 PM.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Do you have any insight regarding how the 3" King Cobra compares to the 3" SP101, size wise?
    Not directly. I do know that the 2" night guard fits in my 2 1/4" SP101 summer special perfectly. I suspect that they (3" v 3 1/16") are very similar, save for both the trigger reach (stretched rear frame), and the OEM rubber grips being longer/larger on the Colt. Part of why I like it: K-frame shootability, with SP size. It’s a darn compelling package. JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Not directly. I do know that the 2" night guard fits in my 2 1/4" SP101 summer special perfectly. I suspect that they (3" v 3 1/16") are very similar, save for both the trigger reach (stretched rear frame), and the OEM rubber grips being longer/larger on the Colt. Part of why I like it: K-frame shootability, with SP size. It’s a darn compelling package. JMO.
    Thanks for that. That's kind of what I expected. It turns into a real list of pros and cons. The SP101 has an established history and better aftermarket support, while with the Colt you're getting an extra round and I would imagine a better trigger out of the box.

The only real hole in my gun battery is a small-ish .357 with a 3" or shorter barrel. I think I would get quite a bit of use out of that.

The 4" King Cobra target is tempting as well.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I see myself making a choice between this and a 4" 686 or GP100 somewhere down the line.

Crossing my fingers for a 5" version.

The current King Cobra continues to be a much prettier gun than the previous version.
    We'll have to disagree on that. This thing is as ugly as an old Dan Wesson.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Colt's catalog page for the King Cobra Target. They don't give a weight.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I've been a Colt wheelgun fan for a long time...

I am happy to see Colt back in the game! Of course, I love some S&W and Ruger revolvers, too.

Very similar. Larger trigger guard on the King Cobra, otherwise not a whole lot different in size.

Name:  IMG_2647.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  36.1 KB

I just picked this Colt up yesterday so still getting a feel for it. Even though this particular SP-101 ( a 327 federal magnum version) has a Wilson Combat spring kit in it, the near out of the box Colt trigger is better.

Site Supporter
    I am also a fan of Colt revolvers and am happy to see them being made. However, there was a reason they disappeared in the first place, and I hope that this venture works out for them despite that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

The SP101 has an established history and better aftermarket support, while with the Colt you're getting an extra round and I would imagine a better trigger out of the box.

The only real hole in my gun battery is a small-ish .357 with a 3" or shorter barrel. I think I would get quite a bit of use out of that.
    Pretty much. Colt trigger is most def nicer out of the box; I also find the sights to be better. But you’ve got a grip on the pro/con issue.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Colt is making me drool with want. A 3" .357 that would seem to be more concealable than a 3" K-frame? A 4" with target sights?

I might have to quit retirement......
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List