Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Colt announces King Cobra Target revolver

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    I am still vary wary of the durability of these and their 3" brethren, as no one has given a satisfactory answer as to the material composition and treatment of the fire control components on these revolvers. On the previous MK V, King Cobra, etc. Colt revolvers, these components were merely surface hardened, and were incapable of receiving any action work other than by spring replacement due to the relatively thin surface hardening.

The two recent 3" examples that I've handled did have excellent out-of-the-box trigggerpulls, but the potential fragility and limited lifespan of these revolvers remains a critical concern for me, as well as their relatively high price. Until there are satisfactory answers and sufficient fielding and use, I'll let others be the beta testers, and I'll remain firmly in the Ruger camp.

Best, Jon
    After some mulling, I came to pretty much that same conclusion.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I am still vary wary of the durability of these and their 3" brethren, as no one has given a satisfactory answer as to the material composition and treatment of the fire control components on these revolvers.
    If you were given it, what are your professional credentials to evaluate that information?
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 08-25-2019 at 04:20 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    If you were given it, what are your professional credentials to evaluate that information?

I imagine his years of first hand experience shooting guns. Jon is a wealth of knowledge and experience.

I am still vary wary of the durability of these and their 3" brethren, as no one has given a satisfactory answer as to the material composition and treatment of the fire control components on these revolvers. On the previous MK V, King Cobra, etc. Colt revolvers, these components were merely surface hardened, and were incapable of receiving any action work other than by spring replacement due to the relatively thin surface hardening.

The two recent 3" examples that I've handled did have excellent out-of-the-box trigggerpulls, but the potential fragility and limited lifespan of these revolvers remains a critical concern for me, as well as their relatively high price. Until there are satisfactory answers and sufficient fielding and use, I'll let others be the beta testers, and I'll remain firmly in the Ruger camp.

Best, Jon
    That's why it's not going into my regular carry rotation yet. Too early, too many unknowns. A thousand rounds at the range later, and some future input from others on this forum, and we'll see.

I'm curious about the material and manufacturing also. The finish is unlike anything I've seen before, looks almost like a semi-metallic paint job but it isn't, it's just stainless steel. Seems to be hard enough that there isn't any wear showing on the cylinder after a fair amount of dry fire, and the top strap is robust. How will it handle occasional heavy magnum loads in a woods gun role? Too soon to know.

I bought one because I want to encourage revolver innovation and choices. A good trigger and no lock in a modern revolver, what a concept... and so far the QA/QC appears to be better than the competition, based on a still small sample size.
    Last edited by Salamander; 08-25-2019 at 06:45 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Anyone else notice the profile on the backstrap of the grips? They look like overall pretty much like some Jordan Troopers in the pics posted earlier.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Anyone else notice the profile on the backstrap of the grips? They look like overall pretty much like some Jordan Troopers in the pics posted earlier.
    I did!
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Wandering around a local gunshow today and spotted a King Cobra Target. Price was above retail, so it didn't come home with me. Didn't care for the grip shape, it was awkwardly wide, side to side, in the mid section and wasn't comfortable in my hand. A Night Cobra and 3" King Cobra were both on the table and the grips, G10 VZ's on the night and rubber on the King, both felt better. Hopefully , the aftermarket will pick up on the new model.

Colt updated their website, it’s giving the weight as 36oz.

User Tag List