Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Question about reciprocity once Oklahoma goes full constitutional carry.

Are you new to this fight? I remember when I couldn't travel and carry concealed in many places I now do. I get it that you aren't happy with licensing, I get it why you aren't happy, but it is the way it is. I continue to write my letters and support groups that support nation wide reciprocity. If you think that we are getting nationwide reciprocity in the form of constitutional carry, you are sadly mistaken. It will be a permitting process if it ever happens.

I'm actually more pissed about the fact I can't buy handguns in states that I am not a resident in.

Honestly, if you can't afford the $150 to get a permit, you probably aren't traveling outside the state very often anyways. At least constitutional carry allows people of all wealth classes to have equal rights in concealed carry within the state they reside in.

Some years ago I took a flight from NH where I live, to Orlando Florida. NH and FL had reciprocity for carrying concealed provided that the person was a permit holder in their home state.
    I followed the TSA instructions for the airline I used and upon arriving in Orlando, proceeded to load the mags/gun and enjoyed my stay.
    Since that time NH no longer requires residents to obtain a permit to carry concealed, much like it's bordering states Maine and Vermont. But in order to enjoy the reciprocity with other states like Florida, I still need to maintain my permit ($10 for 5 years) issued from my hometown chief of police.
    It's very simple and straightforward provided you can read and follow the rules.
    It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun ― Mark Twight

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Are you new to this fight? I remember when I couldn't travel and carry concealed in many places I now do. I get it that you aren't happy with licensing, I get it why you aren't happy, but it is the way it is. I continue to write my letters and support groups that support nation wide reciprocity. If you think that we are getting nationwide reciprocity in the form of constitutional carry, you are sadly mistaken. It will be a permitting process if it ever happens.
    What do you mean, am I new to this fight? I think I get partially what you mean but no, if I’m understanding what you’re saying, I’m not necessarily new to this fight. And yeah, I get that states- including mine, are always going to try to get as much money as they can.

I’m actually more pissed about the fact I can’t buy handguns in states that I am not a resident in.
    I get that, and yes, I sympathize with you on that because I feel it is a silly law because no matter where you’re at, anytime you buy a gun legally, you’re still going to have to get a background check on it so what difference does it make if you buy a gun in your own state or somewhere else?

So far, every pistol I own has been bought in my own state so I’ve never really been concerned with the fact that I can’t do it somewhere else because I can get the same pistol in my state just as easily as I can in another state except for only one time where I wanted a specific pistol that I bought off Bud‘s gun shop and had to have it transferred to a local gun shop where I live. $25 later, I had my pistol. I mean yeah, the gun was a lot cheaper through Bud’s that it would’ve been if my local gun shop had availability to order it from one of their suppliers but even then, if he would’ve been able to order it from one of his own suppliers, I would’ve paid a lot more for it and that I would have from Bud‘s guns so in that case, the $25 transfer fee was insignificant. I still made out better in the end.

Honestly, if you can’t afford the $150 to get a permit, you probably aren’t traveling outside the state very often anyways. At least constitutional carry allows people of all wealth classes to have equal rights in concealed carry within the state they reside in.
    It’s not that I can’t afford it, it’s just that it irks me that my state... being a constitutional carry state... you know, a state that obviously cares a little bit more about our gun rights, is taking advantage of us just because some states will still require us to have a silly permission slip.

But hey, it’s all right. My current permit is still good for another two more years so, I’ll have plenty of time to decide whether or not I want to maintain a permit for those states that wanna be dicks.

But then again, since I’m only less than an hour away from the northern state line of Texas, if Texas is still going to require us to have a permit then I’ll just probably have no choice but to keep a permit because I go there a lot. But at least on the bright side with Texas though- since they allow everybody who’s legally able to carry a gun, to carry a loaded one concealed in their vehicle- at least I can still carry... just not on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Doublestack45 View Post
    Some years ago I took a flight from NH where I live, to Orlando Florida. NH and FL had reciprocity for carrying concealed provided that the person was a permit holder in their home state.
    I followed the TSA instructions for the airline I used and upon arriving in Orlando, proceeded to load the mags/gun and enjoyed my stay.
    Since that time NH no longer requires residents to obtain a permit to carry concealed, much like it's bordering states Maine and Vermont. But in order to enjoy the reciprocity with other states like Florida, I still need to maintain my permit ($10 for 5 years) issued from my hometown chief of police.
    It's very simple and straightforward provided you can read and follow the rules.
    I don’t know what kind of requirements and all that New Hampshire puts first-time permit-seekers through in your state to get their permit but at least in Oklahoma once you’ve already got your permit, that $10 for five years that you have to pay is a far cry cheaper than for five years over here.

But I think that even for me myself, I could find a way to live with just 10 bucks every five years. I’d still probably curse and kick the dirt but 10 bucks every five years really isn’t worth all that much to get beht out of shape over.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    I don’t know what kind of requirements and all that New Hampshire puts first-time permit-seekers through in your state to get their permit but at least in Oklahoma once you’ve already got your permit, that $10 for five years that you have to pay is a far cry cheaper than for five years over here.

But I think that even for me myself, I could find a way to live with just 10 bucks every five years. I’d still probably curse and kick the dirt but 10 bucks every five years really isn’t worth all that much to get beht out of shape over.

My post was not meant as a way to gloat, but more that one has to deal with the situation at hand.
    Due to my proximity to the Maine state border I maintained a non resident Maine permit as well for ten years, with all the associated regulation; high fees, photos, proof of proficiency. Being a transplant from New York State.....I really do get it. No one says you can't change your own situation.
    For "me" moving out of NY almost 25 years ago after college to a free state had positive benefits that transcend the ability to carry a gun concealed. Attitude and people are much different.
    That said, NH's rules are about as non restrictive as you can get. If you are legally able to purchase a gun, you can walk out of the store and carry it concealed. Zero knife laws also.
    Sorry for sounding like I work for the NH tourism board.....if you like to shoot, it's nice here.
    It doesn’t have to be fun to be fun ― Mark Twight

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    It’s not that I can’t afford it, it’s just that it irks me that my state... being a constitutional carry state... you know, a state that obviously cares a little bit more about our gun rights, is taking advantage of us just because some states will still require us to have a silly permission slip.
    That's one way to look at it. Another way would be that your state is giving you the ability to carry in permit only states. The state government in OK negotiated and maintains reciprocity on your behalf.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Doublestack45 View Post
    My post was not meant as a way to gloat, but more that one has to deal with the situation at hand.
    Due to my proximity to the Maine state border I maintained a non resident Maine permit as well for ten years, with all the associated regulation; high fees, photos, proof of proficiency. Being a transplant from New York State.....I really do get it. No one says you can't change your own situation.
    For "me" moving out of NY almost 25 years ago after college to a free state had positive benefits that transcend the ability to carry a gun concealed. Attitude and people are much different.
    That said, NH's rules are about as non restrictive as you can get. If you are legally able to purchase a gun, you can walk out of the store and carry it concealed. Zero knife laws also.
    Sorry for sounding like I work for the NH tourism board.....if you like to shoot, it's nice here.
    Well no, I wasn’t taking it like you were gloating, but it did seem as though you were in kind of a way just tellin’ me to suck it up....lol. And like I said, depending on the places I travel too all the time- primarily Texas because I’m just right there, I may have to suck it up if I wanna carry on me legally.

It just depends on how worth it, it is when it comes time to renew in a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    That's one way to look at it. Another way would be that your state is giving you the ability to carry in permit only states. The state government in OK negotiated and maintains reciprocity on your behalf.
    I know, and you’re right but they don’t have to take that much advance of us though. Even just a little bit of toning the price down would suffice in my book. At least make it look like you care, and that you’re not taking us to the cleaners like they were before especially when so many new people are going to be carrying completely for free, and without taking that silly class and all the other crap that came along with it.

Ok, rant over. Lol.

There isn't going to be national reciprocity in my lifetime so everyone better just get used to maintaining a carry permit if you travel. Some states will never give up their right to require its citizens to get training and a license to carry. CA doesn't honor any out-of-state permits and probably never will. If you live in a state that has permitless concealed carry be thankful.

In this state a license costs $36 plus fingerprinting fees. Where I live the work is done by volunteers because the sheriff's department doesn't have the staff to process the applications and they only do it one day a month for about 4 hours. The state makes the laws but they don't provide the funding so sheriffs in rural counties can actually provide the service in a reasonable manner.

Basically what is happening is states don't want the financial burden, and it's a burden, to maintain the registry and licensing. When a cost/benefit analysis is made they realize they spend a lot of revenue for no good reason. Texas keeps stats on permit holders and they show beyond a shadow of doubt that permit holders commit very few assaults.

AGG ASSLT W/DEADLY WEAPON 2018
    Total convictions 2,169
    Convictions of CHL holders 6
    Percentage of total convictions 0.2766%

https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/LTC/Re...Report2018.pdf
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    There isn't going to be national reciprocity in my lifetime so everyone better just get used to maintaining a carry permit if you travel. Some states will never give up their right to require its citizens to get training and a license to carry. CA doesn't honor any out-of-state permits and probably never will. If you live in a state that has permitless concealed carry be thankful.

In this state a license costs $36 plus fingerprinting fees. Where I live the work is done by volunteers because the sheriff's department doesn't have the staff to process the applications and they only do it one day a month for about 4 hours. The state makes the laws but they don't provide the funding so sheriffs in rural counties can actually provide the service in a reasonable manner.

Basically what is happening is states don't want the financial burden, and it's a burden, to maintain the registry and licensing. When a cost/benefit analysis is made they realize they spend a lot of revenue for no good reason. Texas keeps stats on permit holders and they show beyond a shadow of doubt that permit holders commit very few assaults.

AGG ASSLT W/DEADLY WEAPON 2018
    Total convictions 2,169
    Convictions of CHL holders 6
    Percentage of total convictions 0.2766%

https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/LTC/Re...Report2018.pdf
    Although it would be nice, but I never expected that national reciprocity thing to go anywhere.

But I did at least find out the other day that so far one of the states who is constitutional carry like we’ll become- that is if these idiots that keep trying to repeal it don’t succeed, that Kansas will allow us our Oklahoma liberties in their state. Not sure about Arkansas and Missouri. Missouri kinda sounds like they may be dicks and require us to maintain a permit according to someone I spoke with over there over the phone last week. Arkansas, I’m awaiting an email. But it sounds like for the most part we’re gonna have to get closer to the first of November to see what’s really gonna change.

I just really hope Texas of all states doesn’t still require us to have a permit but hey, it’s no skin off Oklahoma’s ass if they do. That’s just more money on their part.

User Tag List