Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about reciprocity once Oklahoma goes full constitutional carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Nothing. You're not thinking enough.
    According to @scjbash I am overthinking it.

But please, explain why you think I’m not thinking this enough??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Your state’s new law will allow anyone who can legally possess a handgun to carry one within Oklahoma’s borders. Other states want a little bit more than that. Unless a stats allows residents and non-residents alike to carry without a permit, you’ll still need a permit to carry in it. Having a permit means that the government ran a background check on you and you checked out okay. That gives governments warm and fuzzy feelings. When you pay the permit fee you’re paying for the background check, the employees who work in the system, the maintenance of the database, etc. There is absolutely no way that your state will do all that for free. Look at Arizona if you want an example. It’s a constitutional carry state that also offers a permit that you have to pay for.

You said you drive a truck for a living in your intro post right? If that takes you out of state, you’re going to want to keep your permit active and current.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Be very careful about carrying without a permit.
    That’s why I’m trying to rake in as much info as I can...[emoji41]

Example: In MO, if a person carried into a business that posted a “no guns” sign and if the owner called the cops, the person with the permit first would be asked to leave the premises. The person without a permit could be charged with trespassing.
    So what is it are you trying to tell me? Missouri is a lot like Oklahoma when it comes to “robbers welcome” signs. We don’t give these signs weight of the law but in Oklahoma, but if you stick around and don’t leave long enough for the cop to show up after you’ve done been asked to leave, all we have to worry about is a misdemeanor trespassing charge.

But I’m curious; I take it you live in Missouri, or are from there? So how does your Constitutional carry work? If I’ve been reading everything right, at least when you come to my state you don’t have to have a permit of any kind and you can carry in Oklahoma just the same as you can in Missouri… without a permit.

Do you still have to have a permit to carry in states that you have reciprocity with that still require their own residents to have a permit? If so what are they charging for those permits?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    That’s why I’m trying to rake in as much info as I can...[emoji41]

So what is it are you trying to tell me? Missouri is a lot like Oklahoma when it comes to “robbers welcome” signs. We don’t give these signs weight of the law but in Oklahoma, but if you stick around and don’t leave long enough for the cop to show up after you’ve done been asked to leave, all we have to worry about is a misdemeanor trespassing charge.

But I’m curious; I take it you live in Missouri, or are from there? So how does your Constitutional carry work? If I’ve been reading everything right, at least when you come to my state you don’t have to have a permit of any kind and you can carry in Oklahoma just the same as you can in Missouri… without a permit.

Do you still have to have a permit to carry in states that you have reciprocity with that still require their own residents to have a permit? If so what are they charging for those permits?
    I was a lawyer there. So nothing I say is legal advice. They keep changing the laws with regard to that.

One wrinkle was open-carry. A city (even wide-spots-in-the-road with fifty people were "cities") could prohibit open carry, but that prohibition was ineffective if the person had a carry permit.

when I was in practice, I advised people to not rely on permitless carry, but to get a permit. It wasn't that hard to get one.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    ^^^THIS^^^

Oklahoma constitutional carry legislation affects only Oklahoma. It did not affect any other states. According to handgunlaw.us, " AK, AZ, AR, KS, KY, ME, MS, MO, NH, SD, VT & WV - anyone who can legally possess a firearm can carry Concealed W/O a Permit." Other than that, change relies upon individual reciprocity agreements being tweaked.

It did not change the permitting system. Some folks will elect to continue getting the permit for a variety of reasons. OSBI will still have their hands out, as SDA licences have been generating them $2-4 million/year in profit, which is why they fought this law tooth and nail. They say the current system costs $2M in admin costs each year. You're high if you think they're going to do that for free.
    Man, I realize that Oklahoma’s new law only covers Oklahoma. That’s not what I’m asking. Really all I’m asking is that as it sits right now, at least the people who live in Arizona and Missouri can travel to our state of Oklahoma and not have to have a permit issued to them by their home state in order to travel here so I just wondered if that same generosity would be shown to us when we go constitutional carry. That, and if the states that we have reciprocity with that still charge their residents to have a permit, are they still going to require us to have a permit to continue carrying in their state?

Where are you getting all your information from thats telling you all this?

But yeah I know that’s the reason why they fought this the way they did was because they were gonna lose out on so much revenue from the permit system but if what you say is true, and we’re going to still have to buy a permit just the same as we do right now to travel out of the state of Oklahoma then why’s is many people complaining?? Hell, based on what you’re saying and what everybody else is saying, the only time Oklahoma’s going to be losing out on profit is from people who are only going to carry in Oklahoma and leave their gun at home when they travel because they’ll still have to pay for that luxury.

Here I was thinking our new Constitutional carry that we’re about to have was going to be some pretty cool shit but if the only time we won’t have to pay for our rights is when we don’t travel....lol. Real useful.

I was a lawyer there. So nothing I say is legal advice. They keep changing the laws with regard to that.

One wrinkle was open-carry. A city (even wide-spots-in-the-road with fifty people were "cities") could prohibit open carry, but that prohibition was ineffective if the person had a carry permit.

when I was in practice, I advised people to not rely on permitless carry, but to get a permit. It wasn't that hard to get one.
    Well no, it probably isn’t but still, the whole fact of the matter is that when your state goes Constitutional carry, you can’t blame people for expecting their state to ensure that they no longer require you to have to pay for an infringing permission slip to exercise your rights.

But irregardless, I’m not really worried about that because I don’t live in Missouri. The only thing really that I am curious about is what do you do when you travel outside of Missouri?? As I said before, from what I read at least is that when you come to Oklahoma you can still carry permitless here like you can if you’re in your own state but what about other states you have reciprocity agreements with that they still require a permit for their own people?

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Your state’s new law will allow anyone who can legally possess a handgun to carry one within Oklahoma’s borders. Other states want a little bit more than that. Unless a stats allows residents and non-residents alike to carry without a permit, you’ll still need a permit to carry in it. Having a permit means that the government ran a background check on you and you checked out okay. That gives governments warm and fuzzy feelings. When you pay the permit fee you’re paying for the background check, the employees who work in the system, the maintenance of the database, etc. There is absolutely no way that your state will do all that for free. Look at Arizona if you want an example. It’s a constitutional carry state that also offers a permit that you have to pay for.
    So where are you finding this information?

Hopefully people who live in the other constitutional carry states would chime in and talk about what their state says they have to do when they travel out of their own state and if for one, if they do have to get a permit and two, if the state charges them for that permit, just for the sake of issuing it.

You said you drive a truck for a living in your intro post right? If that takes you out of state, you’re going to want to keep your permit active and current.
    I don’t run all 48 cross country anymore like I used to but, there is times where I still have to haul down in Texas.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    [W]hat about other states you have reciprocity agreements with that they still require a permit for their own people?
    Then you probably would need a permit. That may be why a lot of states that have gone to permitless carry also issue permits.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Then you probably would need a permit. That may be why a lot of states that have gone to permitless carry also issue permits.
    So does Missouri charge their residents for those permits that they have to use to travel to other states that they have reciprocity agreements with?

I guess I’m just gonna have to try to either call or email the OSBI and see if they can at least direct me to where I need to go to see what’s going to change when this all happens and if they’re going to charge the same as they are now for a permit just to carry outside of Oklahoma.

User Tag List