Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question about reciprocity once Oklahoma goes full constitutional carry.

CWM11B
    NC recognizes every permit in the country, regardless of whether the other states reciprocate. There is, however, no "permitless" carry. If you live in a constitutional carry state and come to NC, you cannot legally carry concealed without a valid permit. Open carry is legal with some exceptions in the statute as well as posted private property.

Site Supporter
    @corneileous Be it overthinking or underthinking, or however you want to put it, you keep asking the same questions after getting the answers. If you boil it all the way down what you're left with is that the law changes nothing other than being allowed to carry in Oklahoma without a permit. That's it. It doesn't change anything that happens in other states, it doesn't change reciprocity with other states, it doesn't change how much a permit costs, or anything else. It ONLY means that people can carry in Oklahoma without a permit.

"Hopefully people who live in the other constitutional carry states would chime in and talk about what their state says they have to do when they travel out of their own state and if for one, if they do have to get a permit and two, if the state charges them for that permit, just for the sake of issuing it."

Their state(which includes mine) doesn't have anything to say about what they have to do when traveling out of their own state. That's solely up to the state they are visiting. Oklahoma passing Con Carry will have no effect whatsoever on what other states require. If they required you to have a permit before you are going to have to have a permit now, and Oklahoma is going to charge you the exact same as they always have. You weren't paying for your right to carry in Oklahoma. You were paying for them to admin the system and because it was a way for them to fleece money from you. They still have to admin the system and they still want to fleece money from you, so they are still going to charge you.

That's why I said it has zero effect on my life. I travel into states that require a permit, so I still get a permit. Nothing has changed for me at all. If you travel into places that require you to have a permit you will still need a permit, so Con Carry will change nothing for you either.

Edited because I missed this paragraph:

"Really all I’m asking is that as it sits right now, at least the people who live in Arizona and Missouri can travel to our state of Oklahoma and not have to have a permit issued to them by their home state in order to travel here so I just wondered if that same generosity would be shown to us when we go constitutional carry." - Other states couldn't care less what Oklahoma lets people do. Nothing about their requirements or lack thereof will change.

"if the states that we have reciprocity with that still charge their residents to have a permit, are they still going to require us to have a permit to continue carrying in their state" - Yes
    Last edited by scjbash; 08-21-2019 at 10:59 AM.

Look at it like this. Your question is about reciprocity.

Oklahoma has the SDA permit. Other states have their own which is substantially the same, therefore they reciprocate.

If you don't have an OK SDA permit, the other state can't reciprocate because there's nothing to reciprocate with.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    NC recognizes every permit in the country, regardless of whether the other states reciprocate. There is, however, no "permitless" carry. If you live in a constitutional carry state and come to NC, you cannot legally carry concealed without a valid permit. Open carry is legal with some exceptions in the statute as well as posted private property.
    I can understand that probably pretty much all the states that we have agreements with- that even with our constitutional carry, are probably still going to require that we still have a permit to carry in those other states; and I would think that’s fine as long as Oklahoma doesn’t charge me to do it. It’s like, if Oklahoma is going to charge me the same price for a permit just to travel to states that we have agreements with, they might as well just wipe that slate clean and not have any agreements with anybody. Because if that’s the case, it’s stupid to charge for a permit just to do that when you’re not charging anybody else as long as they stay within state lines. Especially since considering that Oklahoma has agreements with- I’m pretty sure every state that already has Constitutional carry, that all those residents- in all those permit-less states, can carry here in Oklahoma without a permit, just the same as they can in their own state.

But AnyWho, I still have an Oklahoma-issued permission slip that I got in 2016 that’ll be good until roughly about this time in 2021 so I’ll be good permit
    -wise to continue carrying in the states that we have agreements with, however that changes in the next several months.

I went ahead and emailed OSBI so we’ll see what they tell me when and if they answer me back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    I guess I’m just gonna have to try to either call or email the OSBI and see if they can at least direct me to where I need to go to see what’s going to change when this all happens and if they’re going to charge the same as they are now for a permit just to carry outside of Oklahoma.

Had you done this to begin with this thread would have been considerably shorter and your information more accurate and to the point.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Since everybody seems to be on the same page of thinking what I’m asking which I guess I’m confusing everybody to what I’m actually asking, I’m just going to make a response to the whole thread instead of an individual person.

Yes, my main question is roughly about reciprocity but what I’m trying to ask is how is Oklahoma going to handle that if I. still need that cute little permission slip to do it?

I realize that when somebody said that reciprocity is about permits, and if Oklahoma no longer has a permit then there’s nothing to reciprocate with. I get that. Which is why I assume the states that are constitutional already, probably won’t require us to have one in their state either.

But I just thought of something. Concerning the whole part about Oklahoma not being able to necessarily reciprocate back with states that makes their residents buy a permit; how can you really say that we don’t have nothing to reciprocate back with because in my opinion, let’s take Texas for example; that’s the state that I’ll travel the most to because I’m only less than an hour away from it. I travel there a lot for work and leisure. To me, as long as we allow those Texans to have their permit honored in Oklahoma, then they should reciprocate back and let us carry permitless in their state. I mean after all; and I’ll say it again, even right now that Oklahoma is still currently a permit state, we still allow everybody who lives in Constitutional carry states to carry in our state without a permit.

Quote Originally Posted by baddean View Post
    Had you done this to begin with this thread would have been considerably shorter and your information more accurate and to the point.
    Well, please except my deepest apologies I spose but I just now thought of that not too long ago, and I figured that since this is a web forum where people come to discuss things, I figured maybe I could grab some answers here as well. Hopefully get to hear from some of the people who live in constitutional carry states on what they have to do to carry to the other states that they have reciprocity agreements with, that still believe in requiring permits.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Well, please except my deepest apologies I spose but I just now thought of that not too long ago, and I figured that since this is a web forum where people come to discuss things, I figured maybe I could grab some answers here as well. Hopefully get to hear from some of the people who live in constitutional carry states on what they have to do to carry to the other states that they have reciprocity agreements with, that still believe in requiring permits.

Apology and discussion accepted. Arguing.....not so much.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Quote Originally Posted by baddean View Post
    Apology and discussion accepted. Arguing.....not so much.
    Well bud, I’m sorry you see it that way and I seriously apologize for my part of making it seem like arguing but, that’s not what I want. That’s not what I’m after. I created a simple thread to discuss it.

But since a lot of you has said I’m still going to have to have a paid-for, Oklahoma-issued permit to carry in whatever states we’ll end up having reciprocity with after this goes into effect then I guess it’s end of discussion.

I’ll update the thread whenever OSBI responds back.

This has sure been entertaining.

-------------------------------------------
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

User Tag List