Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about reciprocity once Oklahoma goes full constitutional carry.

Question about reciprocity once Oklahoma goes full constitutional carry.

As most of you guys know, Oklahoma- come November first, will join the other 15 states that have free right to carry firearms. My question is, if anybody knows or not, is how that will work with reciprocity once this passes? I’m pretty sure we have reciprocity with pretty much every free state but does that mean we can carry permitless in those states as well? What about north Dakota, Idaho and Wyoming that state “residents only”? I’m assuming this means that only the residents of those states can carry permitless? Are they going to require we have a permit even though we no longer require one? And I guess the same goes for states like Florida, South Carolina, Colorado, Michigan and Pennsylvania to name a few that state Oklahoma residential license only? What’s the difference between the blue states and the yellow states?

And well I guess lastly, once we get closer to November, I’m assuming there’s probably still gonna be some last minute reciprocity agreements probably still being worked out between us and other states who charge their residents to exorcise their gun rights.

I’m just wondering if we’ll still need to have a permit for out-of-state travel which I guess as long as we weren’t charged for it, that’d be alright I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    I’m just wondering if we’ll still need to have a permit for out-of-state travel which I guess as long as we weren’t charged for it, that’d be alright I suppose.
    Yup. Regardless of your home state rules, you have to abide by the rules of the state you're traveling through. "Constitutional carry" in Oklahoma doesn't mean squat in California, Illinois or any other state.

Re: "....as long as we weren’t charged for it, that’d be alright I suppose."
    What do you mean?

-------------------------------------------
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
    Last edited by SkippySanchez; 08-20-2019 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkippySanchez View Post
    Yup. Regardless of your home state rules, you have to abide by the rules of the state you're traveling through. "Constitutional carry" in Oklahoma doesn't mean squat in California, Illinois or any other state.
    Oh I know it doesn’t mean shit in those states plus Oregon, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and most of the states in the NE but should in all the other states we have reciprocity with. I’m just wondering what will change, if we will still have reciprocity with most those states we already have it with. Since Kansas, Missouri and Arkansas are constitutional carry states already, I wouldn’t be surprised if we need actual permits for those states but what’s funny is that for the longest time, the states that don’t require permits, can still carry permit-less here even though we have to...

Re: "....as long as we weren’t charged for it, that’d be alright I suppose."
    What do you mean?
    Well, as long as we don’t travel outside of our own state, and if what I said was true about traveling to Kansas or Missouri or Arkansas, that we won’t have to have a permit at all because they are permit-less as well. But if we travel anywhere else, and have to have an actual paper permit, as long as we didn’t get charged for that, I guess that would be fine. I mean, it would just strictly be for travel purposes, I really can’t see Oklahoma charging us for a permit when they’re just now passing permit-less carry when you can now carry your gun for free, just to travel to a state that we have reciprocity with that still requires we have an actual paper permit.

That’s really all I’m trying to find out is hows this all gonna work out once it all goes into effect. I assuming they’ll inform us one way or the other to any changes in laws/regulations or more importantly, of there’s states that no longer honor our permit like they did before, etc etc....

Site Supporter
    You're overthinking it. Constitutional carry is going to let you carry without a permit in your state. Everything else is going to remain the same. You're still going to be able to get a permit, I can pretty much guarantee they're still going to charge you for it (the government doesn't give up a revenue source without a fight), and you're still going to need it anywhere that required it before.

We passed Constitutional carry here and I did my part to make it happen, but it has had zero effect on my life.

Question about reciprocity once Oklahoma goes full constitutional carry.

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    You're overthinking it. Constitutional carry is going to let you carry without a permit in your state. Everything else is going to remain the same. You're still going to be able to get a permit, I can pretty much guarantee they're still going to charge you for it (the government doesn't give up a revenue source without a fight), and you're still going to need it anywhere that required it before.
    What exactly am I overthinking? But if I’m reading you right, you’re saying that no matter what- even if it’s a state that has permit-less carry just like we’re going to in a couple months that, we’re still going to have to have the same permit that we’ve had to have, this whole time, that you say we’re gonna have to continue to pay for?? How did you come to that conclusion? I already said that Oklahoma already let’s all the other constitutional carry states carry in our state- the same way they can carry in their own state- without a permit.

We passed Constitutional carry here and I did my part to make it happen, but it has had zero effect on my life.
    What do you mean? I don’t expect this to be a total life-changing event or nothin’ but, it will be nice to finally be able to carry without being swindled out of money to pay for a permission slip. Hopefully a lot more people will carry once this goes into effect, too. I reckon a lot of people don’t carry as it is because they either can’t afford the permit or they just don’t wanna have to pay for it, so they do without. Convincing themselves to feel they don’t need to just to save money.

Last edited by corneileous; 08-20-2019 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    Constitutional carry is going to let you carry without a permit in your state. Everything else is going to remain the same. You're still going to be able to get a permit, I can pretty much guarantee they're still going to charge you for it (the government doesn't give up a revenue source without a fight), and you're still going to need it anywhere that required it before.
    ^^^THIS^^^

Oklahoma constitutional carry legislation affects only Oklahoma. It did not affect any other states. According to handgunlaw.us, " AK, AZ, AR, KS, KY, ME, MS, MO, NH, SD, VT & WV - anyone who can legally possess a firearm can carry Concealed W/O a Permit." Other than that, change relies upon individual reciprocity agreements being tweaked.

It did not change the permitting system. Some folks will elect to continue getting the permit for a variety of reasons. OSBI will still have their hands out, as SDA licences have been generating them $2-4 million/year in profit, which is why they fought this law tooth and nail. They say the current system costs $2M in admin costs each year. You're high if you think they're going to do that for free.
    Last edited by Trav; 08-21-2019 at 05:03 AM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Be very careful about carrying without a permit.

Example: In MO, if a person carried into a business that posted a “no guns” sign and if the owner called the cops, the person with the permit first would be asked to leave the premises. The person without a permit could be charged with trespassing.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    What exactly am I overthinking?
    Nothing. You're not thinking enough.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

The short answer is that YES you will still need a permit to carry in the states that require a permit for reciprocity with Oklahoma, although no permit will be required to carry in Oklahoma, and YES the state will still charge for the permits.

I haven't traveled out of state in several years but because I might at some point, I will be keeping a carry permit at least for now.

Also, the new law in Oklahoma is actually Permitless Carry and not truly Constitutional Carry.
    Last edited by O4L; 08-21-2019 at 05:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by O4L View Post
    The short answer is that YES you will still need a permit to carry in the states that require a permit for reciprocity with Oklahoma, although no permit will be required to carry in Oklahoma, and YES the state will still charge for the permits.
    Will every state that we have reciprocity with, be that way? I didnt look up every state but I did find that at least with Arizona and Missouri- who are Constitutional carry states, can carry in my state just the same as they can in their own state. I don’t know about all the other constitutional carry states that we have reciprocity with because I’m just more less worried about my own state right now.

But what exactly do you mean when you say that Oklahoma will still charge for these permits if we want to be able to carry outside our state lines with states that we have reciprocity with? Are they just going to charge for the small piece of plastic, paper and their time to make the permit or are they actually going to charge us full price just like if the laws haven’t changed at all we still have to have a permit to carry in our own state?

I hope you’re not right about that but if you are, that’s some serious bullshit on Oklahoma’s part if you ask me.

Also, the new law in Oklahoma is actually Permitless Carry and not truly Constitutional Carry.
    First, what’s the difference? Second, from everywhere I’ve read, they’re calling Oklahoma’s new system constitutional carry.

And yeah, I’m sure you’ll see it too a the bottom of that screenshot that I took, that does say I’ll still need a permit if I carry across state lines; but as you can see, or if you go on gunstocarry’s website you’ll see that there really is no explanation at all to really tell you what all that stands for.

User Tag List