Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: RFI: Retiring In Tennessee? (No State Tax In 2021)

We have been looking in East TN. We visited a friend in the Dandridge area. The 81 and 40 area to Knoxville seemed very busy, and the entire Gatlinburg Pigeon Forge Sevierville to Knoxville area was a cluster F. Once you get the interstate it seemed you either had to go around a mountain or lake.

The area was beautiful and great motorcycle riding but didn’t really offer much for me to live there. There were some nice homes on the lake but TVA controls water levels and can drop 50 feet. TVA responsibility if for flood control so that not ideal for me as a possible water front home, 3 months of usable dock just doesn’t cut it.

We didn’t get to look at other nearby towns but were told there is not much and they are poor.

I would think there must be some nice areas north East/west of Knoxville?? What I am looking for may not exist; a rural or suburban neighborhood ideally 30 min or so from grocery stores, home improvement stores and good medical. A lake or River about the same distance would be a bonus.

RJ are you still looking in TN?

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    I would think there must be some nice areas north East/west of Knoxville?? What I am looking for may not exist; a rural or suburban neighborhood ideally 30 min or so from grocery stores, home improvement stores and good medical. A lake or River about the same distance would be a bonus.
    Keep going east of Knoxville. The Morristown or Tri-cities area.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JclInAtx View Post
    Very interested in this thread. With Austin 'progressing' as rapidly as it is we are thinking of relocating after my daughter graduates. Plus property taxes have about doubled in 12 years. Would be even more but we contest the appraisal every year.

Had a coworker move to Knoxville and loved it, but that was 15 years ago or more.

We are thinking more of northern Georgia, Jasper, Dahlonega, Elijay area but perhaps Knoxville area too.
    My understanding is Georgia doesn't tax social security, and the first $65000 after you are 65 years old.

We spent spring break traveling around the area, going into Gatlinburg and up around Asheville. Hadn't been to the smokies since the early 80s and had forgotten how beautiful it is. Gatlinburg itself is quite the tourist trap though.
    I am near that area in northern GA if you have any questions.

When I retire, I have always wanted a place where I could go out my back door and shoot on my own property/range.

Are there area/places like that in Tenn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TN

For me TN begins at the NC-VA border and ends just slightly west of Knoxville (see State of Franklin). I was raised in Johnson City and made my home about 40 miles northeast of there where the weather is much milder and water is plentiful. Investment/retirement taxes notwithstanding you can just assume paying sales tax of 10% on most everything but as mentioned in a previous post there is no income tax. Further, if you live on this end of the state you can easily shop in VA or NC where the sales tax is much less. The eastern side of TN is politically conservative, it becomes less so as you move toward the other end of the state. Employment in this end of the state can be tough, be that as it may I am an engineer and have managed to make a pretty good living. There seems to be a lot of folks who retire from FL/NY to western NC and they have been spilling over into east TN for a while. I probably would not post this anywhere else but PF folks are the kind of people I would welcome into this area.

Dan

To answer Doug's question. Given the mountainous terrain of East TN many folks have the ability to shoot on their own property and there are several state and private shooting ranges in most counties.

Retired to Middle Tenn. 14 years ago .. great medical .. low crime .. gun friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    We have been looking in East TN. We visited a friend in the Dandridge area. The 81 and 40 area to Knoxville seemed very busy, and the entire Gatlinburg Pigeon Forge Sevierville to Knoxville area was a cluster F. Once you get the interstate it seemed you either had to go around a mountain or lake.

The area was beautiful and great motorcycle riding but didn’t really offer much for me to live there. There were some nice homes on the lake but TVA controls water levels and can drop 50 feet. TVA responsibility if for flood control so that not ideal for me as a possible water front home, 3 months of usable dock just doesn’t cut it.

We didn’t get to look at other nearby towns but were told there is not much and they are poor.

RJ are you still looking in TN?
    Not currently.

I found out Tom offered a class in Ruskin FL, and he was nice enough to let me transfer to there instead of Dahlonaga. We did spent a few days recently in Blowing Rock NC but didn’t get to drive into TN as we were sightseeing locally.

Long term we’re still kicking around options, but most likely will remain here on the West Coast of FL for the time being.

User Tag List