Thread: Ruger GP100 10mm review

Ruger GP100 10mm review

I filmed this back in June but it’s just now dropping, time for my GP100 10mm review. Surprise: I like it. I like it even more with .40 S&W and a bunch of TK Custom moonclips so that .40 headspaces correctly. The TK clips are robust and work great with Federal American Eagle as well as other Federal rounds.

Action work: a bunch of dry fire with the stock surfaces, then a Wilson 9 pound trigger spring and lightweight trigger return spring. Resulting trigger is about 9lbs on my trigger pull gauge when pulled from the lower end of the trigger. On the review itself I shot the IDPA 5x5 with a comfortable Master class time, and the Gabe White Standards, with two of the runs being good enough for a light pin easily.

I enjoyed the video, as always.

Nice review, Caleb. I think your point of the GP100 really coming into its own as a .40 moon clipped platform for competition makes sense.

I'll be very interested to follow your moonclip versus Safariland Comp III speedloader review.

My view of the 10mm vs .357 magnum is that ballistically they're essentially the same, so the only real differentiation becomes the reloading vehicle; I've personally chosen to remain with .357 magnum, as my revolvers are used for carry, duty, competition (IDPA) and home defense, and I'm a bit wary of the vicissitudes of moonclips when inadvertently bent, to which they seem fairly susceptible to (rendering them to me as relegated to range/competition use only).

Ammunition wise, with .357 you've concurrently got .38 Special compatibility, and can use the same speedloaders and pouches. With 10mm, with the right moonclips, you've got .40 compatibility; I'd be interested to hear your spin on discussing and comparing the rimmed versus rimless cartridge comparos.

Best, Jon

30 moon clips.

Poors. Flexed on.

User Tag List