Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What 40 years of pocket carry looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    At least the front sight has already been filed off at some point in history... (insert punchline from old joke about .25acp ineffectiveness here).
    People haven't changed. A carried .25 was better than a .357 left at home.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Having had to deal with my parents' dementia, let me say that you can't assume that one day you will get the gun back once you return it to your mother. If the dear lady lives long enough, she too will likely develop senility. I learned that when our loved ones age and become dependent on others, many who deliver care will steal from them. I refer to home health care attendants, ambulance personnel, preachers, and other relatives. Stealing includes manipulating elderly to
    offer gifts or even accepting gifts not asked for but offerred. In my case, my father gave away guns because he thought that he no longer needed them. He wrote checks to people who asked for money. A nifty small pistol will be an irresistible find to some relative, nurse, cop, repairman, or neighbor who drops by. I know from experience.
    I'm very aware of all that (my wife is a supervisor with the state agency tasked with investigating elderly abuse) and I am very close to both my parents and know what to look for.
    My Grandmother was extremely mentally sharp up until she passed away last year at 90 something, so we have that going for us genetically.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    To be fair, my father is still alive. So, reflecting wouldn't be of much use.

BUT when I look at the Zippo I inherited from my grandfather I do think about him. Even though I use a gold Colibri soft flame lighter that runs on pressurized butane instead of good old Ronson lighter fluid. Because I grew tired of constantly refilling a Zippo due to evaporation.

I do love Jody's grandfather's Beretta 418 though. The honest wear and even the cracked grip, reminds me of a different time and of an old 1927 CZ .32 my dad had that got stolen. Just like staring at a 1949 Mercury reminds me of a different time and place, doesn't mean I can't appreciate the present simultaneously.
    Rob, I think you missed the point which was to appreciate Jody's inheritance. (No disrespect to your father. I hope he lives a long life.) Anyway...let's move on before I undermine the very essence of the point I was trying to make.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Maybe I'm just a hopeless relic.
    No disrespect intended.

And, cool gun. I'm trying to convince my parents to give me some of my grandfather's guns.

User Tag List