Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What 40 years of pocket carry looks like.

What 40 years of pocket carry looks like.

This little Beretta 418 .25acp was pocket carried daily by my Grandfather from when he came home from Korea in late 1953 to when my Grandmother gave it to my Mom in the early '90's because he was starting to show signs of dementia.
    I cleaned it up, replaced a broken magazine spring (with a Ruger LCP mag spring) and fired half a box of FMJ with no issues.
    Neat little 66 year old pistol with a lot of honest finish wear on it.
    I'm giving it back to my Mom to keep with some of his other belongings (I'm sure I'll be getting it all back one of these days.)

Attachment 41508
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Wow, that really makes it apparent just how much small pistol technology has advanced.

I purchased my primary IWB gun in 1997. My pocket carry guns have been upgraded five times during the same time period.

Glad you will have something to remember your grandfather by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Your grandfather was James Bond?

Seriously, that's way cool. I'd say to carry it, but if you punch a bunch of .25 holes in somebody it would go to an uncertain fate in the evidence bin.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Wow, that really makes it apparent just how much small pistol technology has advanced.
    Right?

My dad has a FN Model 1906 somewhere that he pocket carried for years. I look at it today and think, "Why would I do this to myself? When a perfectly good Kel-Tec P32 exists out there."

Dude, seriously, how about appreciating the man's heirloom? I don't look at my great grandfather's Waltham watch or my grandfather's Kay mandolin and think how far watches and mandolins have come. I think about the men that carried and used them and how lucky I am to have them.

Maybe I'm just a hopeless relic.
    Last edited by blues; 08-20-2019 at 02:59 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Seriously, that's way cool. I'd say to carry it, but if you punch a bunch of .25 holes in somebody it would go to an uncertain fate in the evidence bin.
    At least the front sight has already been filed off at some point in history... (insert punchline from old joke about .25acp ineffectiveness here).

My grandfather owned a very small but very successful "buy here, pay here" used car lot for probably 30 years.
    He also had an Astra 9mm he kept in his desk drawer by the cash box but nobody has seen it since the '90's (someone probably stole it or maybe he misplaced it when he started getting "forgetful").
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Dude, seriously, how about appreciating the man's heirloom? I don't look at my great grandfather's Waltham watch or my grandfather's Kay mandolin and think how far watches and mandolins have come. I think about the men that carried and used them and how luck I am to have them.

What makes me a little sad is knowing that my polymer and stainless steel Kahr PM9 will never show wear like this old Beretta and my grandkids will just have a practically new looking plastic 9mm to remember me by. LOL

At least they'll have a few nice watches that I wear all the time.
    My son already notices and comments on what watch I wear for certain occasions.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    This little Beretta 418 .25acp was pocket carried daily by my Grandfather from when he came home from Korea in late 1953 to when my Grandmother gave it to my Mom in the early '90's because he was starting to show signs of dementia.
    I cleaned it up, replaced a broken magazine spring (with a Ruger LCP mag spring) and fired half a box of FMJ with no issues.
    Neat little 66 year old pistol with a lot of honest finish wear on it.
    I'm giving it back to my Mom to keep with some of his other belongings (I'm sure I'll be getting it all back one of these days.)

Attachment 41508
    Having had to deal with my parents' dementia, let me say that you can't assume that one day you will get the gun back once you return it to your mother. If the dear lady lives long enough, she too will likely develop senility. I learned that when our loved ones age and become dependent on others, many who deliver care will steal from them. I refer to home health care attendants, ambulance personnel, preachers, and other relatives. Stealing includes manipulating elderly to
    offer gifts or even accepting gifts not asked for but offerred. In my case, my father gave away guns because he thought that he no longer needed them. He wrote checks to people who asked for money. A nifty small pistol will be an irresistible find to some relative, nurse, cop, repairman, or neighbor who drops by. I know from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Dude, seriously, how about appreciating the man's heirloom? I don't look at my great grandfather's Waltham watch or my grandfather's Kay mandolin and think how far watches and mandolins have come. I think about the men that carried and used them and how luck I am to have them.

To be fair, my father is still alive. So, reflecting wouldn't be of much use.

BUT when I look at the Zippo I inherited from my grandfather I do think about him. Even though I use a gold Colibri soft flame lighter that runs on pressurized butane instead of good old Ronson lighter fluid. Because I grew tired of constantly refilling a Zippo due to evaporation.

I do love Jody's grandfather's Beretta 418 though. The honest wear and even the cracked grip, reminds me of a different time and of an old 1927 CZ .32 my dad had that got stolen. Just like staring at a 1949 Mercury reminds me of a different time and place, doesn't mean I can't appreciate the present simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    What makes me a little sad is knowing that my polymer and stainless steel Kahr PM9 will never show wear like this old Beretta and my grandkids will just have a practically new looking plastic 9mm to remember me by. LOL.
    Hmm...time for a J-Frame?

User Tag List