Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Appendix Carry Fundamentals

@ChrisLapre, I really think you should give the SCD another try. It's a very high quality part, made of steel.

I worry less about a SCD-enabled Glock than when I carry my TDA gun (P-07) in the field where it commonly gets wet, dirty, and dusty in the hammer area. I have yet to have a contamination-related failure in either platform.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I wasn’t sure Of the timeline . That was a rough estimate. It had to be 2011, 2012 then and I didn’t say I had a bad experience. I said I had a failure with it during one iteration that caused me to decide not to use it. Plain and simple. And the one I had was carbon and parkerized and received it from Jeff C at TangoDown. He had a few and I asked him for one since it was a great idea. I used it on duty in a under cover capacity for a while until the issue I mentioned in the class.
    I was not and am not putting it down. It was a decision based on my work and what I saw not to use it.
    I believe Pennzoil still has it as it was given to him to use. I’ll get it back and post pictures so you can tell if it is pre-production or one of the first sent out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    FWIW, CAD drawings didn’t even exist until early 2011. The first half dozen functional prototypes (machined from aluminum and anodized — half of them in black, the other half in orange) weren’t made until April 2011. No one besides Todd and I ever saw one in person until the first weekend of May 2011 at a small PF meetup/mini-class in Culpeper. The first 100 pre-production testing units (made from carbon steel and parkerized) that were sent out to testers weren’t produced until October 2012 (almost all of those didn’t get distributed until the second half of 2013 and 2014). All of this is after PF was started on 2011-02-25.

If you had a bad experience with a “gadget” in 2009 or 2010, it was with a different product.
    Last edited by ChrisLapre; 09-01-2019 at 10:21 PM.

I wrote and posted this quite a while back in some other discussion here about AIWB. Since some of the same issues have been brought up in this thread, I thought I would share again. I'm no professional risk manager; this is just how I conceptualize these issues for myself and I hope it helps someone out there.

---

I don't believe AIWB as a category can be nailed down to a specific safety level, because I think it depends on what can be subtle interactions between the gun, the holster, and the practitioner that are hard to consider without specific examples. It adds up differently for different people. I'm firmly convinced that running AIWB the way I do it is safer than any of the strong side IWB holsters I've ever used because it involves much less muzzle-body intersection.

An aspect of this I find really interesting are the differing levels of anxiety different people express about whatever carry method with whatever pistol type. If I couldn't generally avert my muzzle from my body, as with a large-wedged Keeper AIWB holster (~2" thick wedge), I might never have started carrying a Glock AIWB. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable enough to carry any gun in that position if I couldn't avert the muzzle. That's what I'm attached to myself. I'm not sure a manual safety, heavy trigger, or hammer would convince me otherwise. But people cobble together safety in AIWB though a combination of various different factors, and my way isn't the only way to get a safe AIWB carry method going.

AIWB can be undertaken safely through various combinations of the factors that make it harder to fire the gun, harder to hit yourself with the bullet, and harder to hit yourself seriously with the bullet. Further, some of these factors require you do something, and others work passively and don't require you to do anything.

Mitigating factors that require you do something:

A. Trigger finger discipline
    B. Hard break before holstering
    C. Holster slowly and carefully
    D. Look the gun into the holster
    E. Bow the pelvis forward when holstering
    F. Thumb check a manual safety
    G. Thumb check a Gadget Striker Control Device or hammer

Mitigating factors that don't require you do something:

H. Heavier/longer trigger pull
    I. Holster positioned BETWEEN groin and leg
    J. Big pads on the holster that prevent the muzzle from aligning with your body through flesh compression
    K. Longer gun/holster will also make it harder for the muzzle to align with your body through flesh compression
    L. Minimize clothing and gear near the holster so foreign matter is less available to get into the trigger guard

I lean hardest on A and J, but also on B, C, E, G, I, K, and L. I really prefer to have at least one factor from the second list, because those factors are not as subject to human error.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Anyone who is doubting Chris' veracity or experience with gear and shooting, and understanding how to test or run T&E are speaking without knowledge. In fact, he has a more extensive resume and experience level than 99% of the people on this forum. Because he spends more time in harm's way than going online he is not known by a lot of folks but he is certainly is known by the top people. Ask Darryl, Langdon, Pannone, Steve Fischer, Craig, et al.

Those who are trying to cast doubt on him and using Craig's experiences with the gadget in ECQC probably should know that Chris has worked with Craig since 2004 and was actually one of the very first handful of guys to host Craig. In fact, the famous video of Craig and Gomez dealing with the SERPA failure? That was at the course in AZ hosted by Chris in 2004 and he was right there involved with that video. He is well aware of how extensive ECQC is on gear.

He is also one of those guys that gets a ton of gear handed to him to test because of the unique environment and working conditions he is in. He also is responsible for helping set up classes at a LE range in AZ and had hosted or allowed classes to be held by many people including Todd. If he says he was given an early gadget to run, I have no doubt it is fact. I can easily get a hold of said gadget if needed.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

User Tag List