Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Appendix Carry Fundamentals

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    Sure, but there are pistols that make it less likely you'll shoot your junk off.

Also, I thought the whole purpose of Pistol-Forum was to discuss the minutiae of all things shooting?
    Carry on, from my perspective.

I value your perspective and point of view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living where I live (basically the middle of nowhere) I still prefer practicing with a hammer fired pistol, I've carried glocks for years pre gadget but could never imagine carrying a glock in any position ever again without a gadget.

I'd like to know if ya'll have any data on car crashes in relationship to carrying aiwb? I carry glocks and hammer fired pistols this way and always cringe at the thought of getting in an accident. My theory or rather pep talk to myself every time I drive is, well I'd probably get all seriously mangled anyway and having a hammer at rest or glock probably won't matter one way or the other because either one will probably be going off due to G-Forces.

I'm not sure I am buying into it's better to have on your person while driving anymore until I see some hard evidence of what happens during a car crash. Because I am way more likely to meet a drunk driver head on or some asshole that doesn't know how to drive than a car jacker. Heck having to put down an injured cow I hit is probably even a much more likely scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Carry on, from my perspective.

I value your perspective and point of view.
    I agree. Very thoughtful stuff!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    Living where I live (basically the middle of nowhere) I still prefer practicing with a hammer fired pistol, I've carried glocks for years pre gadget but could never imagine carrying a glock in any position ever again without a gadget.

I'd like to know if ya'll have any data on car crashes in relationship to carrying aiwb? I carry glocks and hammer fired pistols this way and always cringe at the thought of getting in an accident. My theory or rather pep talk to myself every time I drive is, well I'd probably get all seriously mangled anyway and having a hammer at rest or glock probably won't matter one way or the other because either one will probably be going off due to G-Forces.

I'm not sure I am buying into it's better to have on your person while driving anymore until I see some hard evidence of what happens during a car crash. Because I am way more likely to meet a drunk driver head on or some asshole that doesn't know how to drive than a car jacker. Heck having to put down an injured cow I hit is probably even a much more likely scenario.
    I've seen some nasty, nasty fatal crashes and have yet to see a handgun fired from the impact. Seems like anything that would touch off a Glock probably killed you anyway. Keep in mind that unless you are carrying the pistol in such a way the striker is in line with the forces of the crash it's not being subjected to the force of the crash anyway. Your barrel is probably pointed down, so is your striker, and you probably aren't getting smoked from underneath. With the exception of a rollover the forces are going to be mostly perpendicular to your firing pin/striker.

Now free float firing pins do have the potential and are more often stored in a manner that they aren't pointed up or down and need extra precaution.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

@BehindtheBluel's thank you so much sir! That makes me feel more at ease, other than the whole rollover part that I completely neglected to think of. I try to position the holster (kydex) lower while driving and tucking my seatbelt behind the holster, trying to keep it down low enough that my seatbelt is down on my lap more closer to where it would be without a holster on.

Thanks again! I can sleep a little better at night now. The whole car crash gun on has been really bothering me lately.

I just don’t understand the vitriol that some people put out when discussing this.

Is it possible to carry a striker gun AIWB safely and never have a problem? Without a doubt. Is it ever a bad idea to have some safety redundancy built in to give an extra layer? Never. Does that mean you should or be required to have that redundancy? Of course not. It is a uniquely individual thing. I know so many people that I immensely respect and admire who have no problem running a striker gun AIWB and have never once had an ND. However, that does not mean I have to walk in lockstep with them. I need to make my decision based on what works for me. I cannot wrap my head around not having that extra margin. I don’t look askance at someone who chooses a different path.

So if someone chooses to run striker, I don’t see why anyone needs to lambast them for it. And the corollary is if some choose to have a manual safety or a DA with external hammer, so what? Why does it matter? Unless they are somehow demanding you do the same and have the power to compel you, why waste time arguing it? Does my carrying a PX4 affect you? Because you carrying a 320 certainly does not affect me. So instead of making dogmatic statements, why don’t we couch it in terms of “this is why I choose this for myself”.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Mike is a great instructor, but carrying a Wilson 1911 isn’t the answer. If someone can’t safely holster a Glock, they should strongly consider more training.

This is the most accurate statement made from my virtually useless opinion. As Cecil said we will argue about holstering seven pages of thread, but in the end it’s an individual choice. If it works and it’s safe for the one carrying, who cares? I don’t .
    I’ve trained with Mike and I’m betting some of his lecture is based off of liability on the company that had him discuss appendix carry. Because if you shoot yourself in the dick today, it’s not your fault. It is always the gun, organization, manufacturer, videographer, or the guy 3 shooting bays down fault that you did it. Not yours.

Oh and I live dangerously by AWIB’ing a Glock without a gadget. I had one fail in training where the pistol would not fire and decided I’ll stick with OEM design and holster carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    I just don’t understand the vitriol that some people put out when discussing this.

Is it possible to carry a striker gun AIWB safely and never have a problem? Without a doubt. Is it ever a bad idea to have some safety redundancy built in to give an extra layer? Never. Does that mean you should or be required to have that redundancy? Of course not. It is a uniquely individual thing. I know so many people that I immensely respect and admire who have no problem running a striker gun AIWB and have never once had an ND. However, that does not mean I have to walk in lockstep with them. I need to make my decision based on what works for me. I cannot wrap my head around not having that extra margin. I don’t look askance at someone who chooses a different path.

So if someone chooses to run striker, I don’t see why anyone needs to lambast them for it. And the corollary is if some choose to have a manual safety or a DA with external hammer, so what? Why does it matter? Unless they are somehow demanding you do the same and have the power to compel you, why waste time arguing it? Does my carrying a PX4 affect you? Because you carrying a 320 certainly does not affect me. So instead of making dogmatic statements, why don’t we couch it in terms of “this is why I choose this for myself”.
    A-fucking-men.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLapre View Post

Oh and I live dangerously by AWIB’ing a Glock without a gadget. I had one fail in training where the pistol would not fire and decided I’ll stick with OEM design and holster carefully.
    Could you recount the circumstances?

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Could you recount the circumstances?
    Yep. A small piece of debris got inside and bound the system up. I will say this was a pre-production model during a ammo intensive class, but left me with doubt enough to never use one again.
    This occurred in front of a couple people on this site .

User Tag List