Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Appendix Carry Fundamentals

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    The length of the trigger pull arc is more important than the weight of the trigger itself. Mr. Langdon explains the DA/SA benefits better than I can in the video below.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you here, but this reads to me as if you either plan to practice thumb-cocking your Storm while drawing, or learning the DA trigger. The latter is the right answer. Regardless, approaching the pistol with the mindset that the first double action shot is an obstacle to overcome is the wrong perspective. There is no point in carrying a DA/SA gun if you're not a believer in the DA shot. Approach the DA shot as a skill to master in order to derive the full benefits of the TDA pistol.
    That’s a good video, thanks for posting that. I like how if I was to ever decide to appendix carry one of my storms that I can hold my thumb down on the hammer for protection against ND’s.

But what do you suggest to train on that first DA shot? Just range practice, never practicing shooting with the hammer pulled back for the first shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    Mastering a DA/SA gun isn't all the OMG work people think it is, Ive seen Several new shooters actually shoot a PX4CC or LTT Elite so much better than a Glock, striker fired gun its not even funny.... SO dont fear the DA shot at all.
    It’s not that I fear it, I just don’t particularly care for it. lol. Not used to it and never really knew to really practice with it.

I'm not sure I can justify a scenario outside of a drill where holstering is super important. If you have a bowie knife stuck in your arm and you are trying to calmly holster while the police are arriving... you may be in extremis.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I'm not sure I can justify a scenario outside of a drill where holstering is super important. If you have a bowie knife stuck in your arm and you are trying to calmly holster while the police are arriving... you may be in extremis.
    But DAMN the badass you'd be.......
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post

But what do you suggest to train on that first DA shot? Just range practice, never practicing shooting with the hammer pulled back for the first shot?

One thing I learned that really helped during my time with DA/SA pistols was to shoot tons of pairs. One shot double action, one shot single action, decock. You can do it from the ready, from the holster, two handed, or one handed, at different distances, etc. When you get to the point where your DA and SA shots are hitting in the same place, then you can work on drills that have higher round counts.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    That’s a good video, thanks for posting that. I like how if I was to ever decide to appendix carry one of my storms that I can hold my thumb down on the hammer for protection against ND’s.

I think @DanM is spot on - practice pairs from the ready. I prefer pairs because it is also important to practice and learn the DA/SA transition. Decock the pistol every time you return to the ready. Get in the habit of decocking whenever you dismount (i.e. return to ready) the pistol. Once this habit is ingrained, progress to working on presentations from the holster. Learn to extend the pistol, align the sights, and pull the trigger simultaneously so the shot is breaking as you reach full extension. Try to keep the trigger moving throughout the presentation. I like using 3x5 index cards as targets - start close up (3-5 yards) and push the distance once you can reliably hit the target with your pair.

As usual, Ernest Langdon has videos and articles on this topic (when Prdator said, "don't fear the DA shot" he was paraprasing Mr. Langdon's article Fear Not, The Double Action Shot).

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I've never had a Bowie knife stuck in my arm, but I've had broken bones in my hands at the end of a fight on two separate occasions. Once I did it to myself (boxer's fracture) and the other time it was done for me by the suspect (thumb broken from the base bones). I guess you're point is more you could just drop the gun, and that's valid.

I also know you might not be at your cognitive best at that point and might revert to what you're used to doing. Reminds me of the guy who shot the pawn shop robber then, post-shooting, field stripped the pistol and laid the parts on a nearby table.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I've never had a Bowie knife stuck in my arm, but I've had broken bones in my hands at the end of a fight on two separate occasions. Once I did it to myself (boxer's fracture) and the other time it was done for me by the suspect (thumb broken from the base bones). I guess you're point is more you could just drop the gun, and that's valid.

I also know you might not be at your cognitive best at that point and might revert to what you're used to doing. Reminds me of the guy who shot the pawn shop robber then, post-shooting, field stripped the pistol and laid the parts on a nearby table.
    One must also keep background and context in mind.

I can understand your potential need (as LE) to holster with an injured hand, WHO. Less so for me or my fellow average citizens. I can picture in my mind’s eye an adrenaline-fueled fumbling attempt to awkwardly holster a gun after a shooting, leading to a tense interaction with arriving law enforcement.

I’m pretty sure no one is going to draw down on you in uniform trying to straighten your situation out after an incident.

The above is similar to the “speed holster” thing that LE can (and do) justify because they might need to hands-on, but that I cannot.

Anyway, as we established it’s a risky practice so use a blue gun or SIRT.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    One must also keep background and context in mind.

I can understand your potential need (as LE) to holster with an injured hand, WHO. Less so for me or my fellow average citizens. I can picture in my mind’s eye an adrenaline-fueled fumbling attempt to awkwardly holster a gun after a shooting, leading to a tense interaction with arriving law enforcement.

I’m pretty sure no one is going to draw down on you in uniform trying to straighten your situation out after an incident.

The above is similar to the “speed holster” thing that LE can (and do) justify because they might need to hands-on, but that I cannot.

Anyway, as we established it’s a risky practice so use a blue gun or SIRT.
    I think there are two basic "scenarios" where WHO work matters. The one more likely to apply to the masses is a hand injury that's nothing to do with a fight. You hurt your hand in the kitchen or working on the house. Your strong hand is out of commission for weeks or months. Do you stop carrying for that time? Or do you learn to do things WHO? That includes drawing, admin holstering, etc.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Good points, but do we just maybe buy an opposite side holster in that case?

If my right arm was in a cast I’d carry on my left side.

User Tag List