Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet another Glock trigger question

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    The more I shoot Glocks the more I realize that, while they’re probably the most customizable polymer framed pistol on the market, they’re also the least forgiving even after spending a healthy amount of money on them to make them more comfortable. If it weren’t for the shear economics of maintaining the platform, I’d have jumped ship a long time ago for a less punishing platform.
    What do you find punishing and uncomfortable about the un modified Glock?

Yet another Glock trigger question

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    What do you find punishing and uncomfortable about the un modified Glock?
    Most notably, the trigger guard on my middle finger on my strong hand. On G19s, the bloody grip hump can get annoying (G17s much less so). I also find that if I don’t get a PERFECT grip out of the holster my trigger finger is either dragging against the bottom of the trigger guard or I’m exerting pressure on the frame toward the top of the trigger guard.

Please keep in mind that I’m essentially splitting hairs and being picky as far as what is perfectly optimal vs not. While yes, Glock Knuckle and forming a small callous on my trigger finger aren’t the most comfortable, it’s not something that would prevent me from being able to defend myself well or shoot a match well. What it does do, however, is make dryfire and high round count classes painful and becomes distracting sometimes pretty quickly which can muddy progress and consistency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by spinmove_; 08-20-2019 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I know why I'm shooting left, or at least I know how to mitigate it. What I don't know is why it has suddenly become a problem. What I've discovered is that if I press the trigger with the pad of my index finger, the shots go left. With the Glock, I have to put my finger through the trigger guard and use the first joint of my finger. If I do that and keep the rest of my finger straight down the side of my gun, I shoot straight. It feels awkward because it's not how I naturally grasp and operate a handgun.

I went down the trigger rabbit-hole after reading that flat-faced triggers could help with the "shoots left" issue in Glocks. If I can make the gun a bit less grip sensitive as a result, then I'll be happy with the outcome. I don't need or want to change the trigger otherwise.

Support hand grip pressure could be another factor. While I've read it could cause this, I haven't physically explored that avenue yet. Changing my trigger finger engagement made immediate improvements aside from it feeling a bit awkward.

As for changing the platform, this is my only centerfire semi-auto, everything else is a revolver, so I don't really have anything to compare it to that I'd carry for SD (aside from j-frames). As a result, I'm reluctant to dump one platform for another if I can resolve the issue via another method. The gun shoots fine and is very reliable.

I think I need to get out to the range again and work a bit with my support hand...

Chris
    If sinking more finger into the trigger guard solves your problem, then it sounds like you were exerting lateral pressure with your strong hand, however minute it might’ve been. The curved face of the OEM trigger, I’ve found, is sensitive to that sort of thing. It also could be that forcing yourself to specifically use the pad of your finger pre-sets some tension in your strong hand that is conducive to you exerting lateral pressure.

Lots of people aren’t using enough force with their support hand and frequently cheat dryfire in this manner.

I’ve found that the more neutral and more comfortable that you can make your grip in general the more consistent success you’ll have. Having to remember to do specific things when actually doing the shooting is usually not great. Having to retrain your body to do something other than what it naturally wants to do is usually also a headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Experts have reported for many years that modifying Glock triggers is a poor idea. We must accept the fact that we can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I learned long ago that my grip caused me to shoot to the far left with Glocks. Fortunately when shooting my 26, my grip permits point of aim shooting. I quit trying to figure it out and rejoice that I have this 3rd gen Glock that does not throw brass the wrong way, came to me as a new gun with a stock but almost 1911 trigger, and possesses target accuracy. With it I never miss dirt clods, stumps, beer cans, or flying insects. I lied about hitting flying insects. It was hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    It’s not, but in my experience the number of people that think they know how to test for safety (and what to actually look for/at) and those that genuinely do are very different numbers.
    I ❤️ my cut down rear cover plate, every gun gets checked at least every 1000 rounds. I need to make one for the slimline 9s, I’m pretty sure Glock doesn’t.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Experts have reported for many years that modifying Glock triggers is a poor idea. We must accept the fact that we can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I learned long ago that my grip caused me to shoot to the far left with Glocks. Fortunately when shooting my 26, my grip permits point of aim shooting. I quit trying to figure it out and rejoice that I have this 3rd gen Glock that does not throw brass the wrong way, came to me as a new gun with a stock but almost 1911 trigger, and possesses target accuracy. With it I never miss dirt clods, stumps, beer cans, or flying insects. I lied about hitting flying insects. It was hyperbole.
    I agree. All I do is shave the “blade” a little and break the sharp edges. With guns that only come with grooved triggers, I swap out the shoe with a factory smooth one. That’s it.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I’ve played with a PolyDAT for the majority of a case of ammo with a decent amount of dryfire. While I generally regard it as an improvement over the stock OEM trigger, it was ultimately not for me. This was mainly due to the fact that it doesn’t have an index hook at the bottom and when the trigger is fully pressed to the rear, the face angles downward. This causes my trigger finger to drag along the bottom of the trigger guard and become uncomfortable quicker than it normally would with an OEM smooth trigger.

I have mine laying around that I could sell at a discount if you are interested at all.
    That did it! The gun is shooting to POA and I don't feel like I have to reach deep into the trigger guard. I might put the cheap P80 version on my P80.

Chris

Sink More finger by Pat McNamara

You might enjoy this clip from one of Pat's videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8JX2hZR_6g

User Tag List