Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another Glock trigger question

Site Supporter

Yet another Glock trigger question

I have a G19.3 that I've recently developed a problem where I shoot left (sound familiar?). I know what causes the problem, it's hand position and how much finger I get onto the trigger. While the problem has been there in a mild form since I bought the gun, it has really become a problem lately, especially when I'm trying to shoot drills at speed or drawing/shooting from concealment. I've mostly trained it out of myself, but I have also been reading where a flat faced trigger can help. I want to get the gun set up so that it doesn't take quite so conscious an effort to shoot accurately and semi-rapidly.

I was considering an Overwatch Precision Polymer DAT as they seem to be well regarded, affordable, and don't mess with safeties. Then I discovered the Polymer80 Flat Trigger Assembly. It's $18 ($15 at Brownells with my dealer discount, but they lack pics and relevant info) and appears to have a standard trigger bar. I figure if it doesn't work or I don't like it, I haven't lost anything except time and a few bucks.

There is no info on the Polymer80 page, nor can I find any reviews, anecdotes, or anything really.

Thoughts?

Chris

I'd try it at that price, it's not hard to test for safety. Or drift your rear sight a tad right
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    That's kind of how I'm leaning. As for the sight, I have drifted it some. I want to fix the problem before I drift it all the way.

Chris

Site Supporter
    I don't know that this trigger reduces pre-travel. The OWP trigger does, but there's no text around the P80 trigger to indicate it does. The more expensive P80 trigger using an aluminum shoe does, but it would be an assumption to believe the $18 version works the same and provides the same "benefits". The trigger bar vertical extension "appears" to be the same height as a factory one, so I'm assuming that indicates that trigger isn't significantly reducing pre-travel.

I'm not looking for any change in trigger movement, just something that will make my shooting more consistent. I'd prefer no change actually as I'm very happy with the trigger as it is today.

I think I know what to look for with the trigger safety and FP safety, but I'm clueless about drop safety checks.

Chris

I’ve played with a PolyDAT for the majority of a case of ammo with a decent amount of dryfire. While I generally regard it as an improvement over the stock OEM trigger, it was ultimately not for me. This was mainly due to the fact that it doesn’t have an index hook at the bottom and when the trigger is fully pressed to the rear, the face angles downward. This causes my trigger finger to drag along the bottom of the trigger guard and become uncomfortable quicker than it normally would with an OEM smooth trigger.

I have mine laying around that I could sell at a discount if you are interested at all.

The more I shoot Glocks the more I realize that, while they’re probably the most customizable polymer framed pistol on the market, they’re also the least forgiving even after spending a healthy amount of money on them to make them more comfortable. If it weren’t for the shear economics of maintaining the platform, I’d have jumped ship a long time ago for a less punishing platform. Maybe in the next year or two I’ll move to something else and keep the Glocks around for “rainy day” options and maintain proficiency with them. Part of the trick is it’s nice to have something smaller (G19) to carry while having something almost exactly the same (G17) that I can compete with. But given I’m carrying a J-frame due to NPE constraints 5 days a week, I’m not sure that argument is entirely relevant anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    That's kind of how I'm leaning. As for the sight, I have drifted it some. I want to fix the problem before I drift it all the way.

Chris
    I'm in a similar boat with my 19.3 The sight is slightly drifted and I shoot it well at quals...but I'd be happier if I didn't need it drifted at all.

Be interested in reading what you find out if you pursue the new trigger.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    FWIW, it’s not vertical extension height that is modified on triggers that do curious things (attempt to eliminate pre-travel), but rather it’s shape/profile. Changing the height would just mess up the gun and possibly make it non-functional.
    Sorry, I wasn't describing that clearly. Agree, it's not the total height, but the profile or "ramp" of the extension. I can visualize in my mind how that interaction works, but I'm not being clear in verbalizing it.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I’ve played with a PolyDAT for the majority of a case of ammo with a decent amount of dryfire. While I generally regard it as an improvement over the stock OEM trigger, it was ultimately not for me. This was mainly due to the fact that it doesn’t have an index hook at the bottom and when the trigger is fully pressed to the rear, the face angles downward. This causes my trigger finger to drag along the bottom of the trigger guard and become uncomfortable quicker than it normally would with an OEM smooth trigger.
    That's interesting. Not unexpected since the trigger has a pivot point rather than moving straight rearward like a 1911, but you're the first person to call that out.

I have mine laying around that I could sell at a discount if you are interested at all.
    I may be interested. PM me with details.

The more I shoot Glocks the more I realize that, while they’re probably the most customizable polymer framed pistol on the market, they’re also the least forgiving even after spending a healthy amount of money on them to make them more comfortable. If it weren’t for the shear economics of maintaining the platform, I’d have jumped ship a long time ago for a less punishing platform. Maybe in the next year or two I’ll move to something else and keep the Glocks around for “rainy day” options and maintain proficiency with them. Part of the trick is it’s nice to have something smaller (G19) to carry while having something almost exactly the same (G17) that I can compete with. But given I’m carrying a J-frame due to NPE constraints 5 days a week, I’m not sure that argument is entirely relevant anymore.
    Yup. I'm happy with a stock gun (aside from a Gadget, a "-" connector and NY1 spring), but I need to solve this shooting left issue in a way that isn't completely undone if I spend a few range sessions with my revolvers or my airsoft trainer, which is what happened I suspect. I'm tempted to dump the platform, but want to make sure a modest investment in the trigger (or copious dryfire) doesn't fix my issue first. I have a pile of mags, multiple holsters, and an Airsoft copy that fits my holsters and makes a great "not-quite-dryfire" trainer, so I'm loathe to give all that up if I don't have to.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    That's interesting. Not unexpected since the trigger has a pivot point rather than moving straight rearward like a 1911, but you're the first person to call that out.

I may be interested. PM me with details.

Yup. I'm happy with a stock gun (aside from a Gadget, a "-" connector and NY1 spring), but I need to solve this shooting left issue in a way that isn't completely undone if I spend a few range sessions with my revolvers or my airsoft trainer, which is what happened I suspect. I'm tempted to dump the platform, but want to make sure a modest investment in the trigger (or copious dryfire) doesn't fix my issue first. I have a pile of mags, multiple holsters, and an Airsoft copy that fits my holsters and makes a great "not-quite-dryfire" trainer, so I'm loathe to give all that up if I don't have to.

Chris
    I’ll PM you in a bit.

I suspect that your “shooting left” issues are more grip and comfort related than they are “physical shape of the trigger itself” related. You can grip the pistol in whatever contorted and uncomfortable way possible and still place a perfectly centered shot. You can also grip it the most comfortable way possible and be way off center. The fact of the matter is that, assuming in both cases you had perfectly aligned sights, then in the situation where you missed you had an instance of “you moved the gun before ignition”.

Really you need to figure out how and why you’re moving the gun which will come down to a number of factors. Grip is a huge part and is a function of human/hardware interface. The trigger itself is part of that, but I’ve found that it’s much less of a factor than the ACTION of the trigger. The gun WANTS to recoil straight up and down as well as back and forth. If shots are going left, then you are imparting forces to enable that. Typically this stems from lack of grip from your support hand (assuming you’re right handed). If not lack of force applied from grip, then your base technique of how it’s there in the first place could be causing it.

It’s a complex issue and not one that I think simply swapping out a trigger is going to solve. If you shoot straight on other platforms, then why fight the hardware when you don’t have to? Unless of course you’re mandated to carry a Glock. If you’re like me and you need to figure out the why instead of just dumping it, I’d invest in a healthy amount of ammo and approach with completely emotionless objectivity to correcting the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I’ll PM you in a bit.

I suspect that your “shooting left” issues are more grip and comfort related than they are “physical shape of the trigger itself” related. You can grip the pistol in whatever contorted and uncomfortable way possible and still place a perfectly centered shot. You can also grip it the most comfortable way possible and be way off center. The fact of the matter is that, assuming in both cases you had perfectly aligned sights, then in the situation where you missed you had an instance of “you moved the gun before ignition”.

Really you need to figure out how and why you’re moving the gun which will come down to a number of factors. Grip is a huge part and is a function of human/hardware interface. The trigger itself is part of that, but I’ve found that it’s much less of a factor than the ACTION of the trigger. The gun WANTS to recoil straight up and down as well as back and forth. If shots are going left, then you are imparting forces to enable that. Typically this stems from lack of grip from your support hand (assuming you’re right handed). If not lack of force applied from grip, then your base technique of how it’s there in the first place could be causing it.

It’s a complex issue and not one that I think simply swapping out a trigger is going to solve. If you shoot straight on other platforms, then why fight the hardware when you don’t have to? Unless of course you’re mandated to carry a Glock. If you’re like me and you need to figure out the why instead of just dumping it, I’d invest in a healthy amount of ammo and approach with completely emotionless objectivity to correcting the problem.
    I know why I'm shooting left, or at least I know how to mitigate it. What I don't know is why it has suddenly become a problem. What I've discovered is that if I press the trigger with the pad of my index finger, the shots go left. With the Glock, I have to put my finger through the trigger guard and use the first joint of my finger. If I do that and keep the rest of my finger straight down the side of my gun, I shoot straight. It feels awkward because it's not how I naturally grasp and operate a handgun.

I went down the trigger rabbit-hole after reading that flat-faced triggers could help with the "shoots left" issue in Glocks. If I can make the gun a bit less grip sensitive as a result, then I'll be happy with the outcome. I don't need or want to change the trigger otherwise.

Support hand grip pressure could be another factor. While I've read it could cause this, I haven't physically explored that avenue yet. Changing my trigger finger engagement made immediate improvements aside from it feeling a bit awkward.

As for changing the platform, this is my only centerfire semi-auto, everything else is a revolver, so I don't really have anything to compare it to that I'd carry for SD (aside from j-frames). As a result, I'm reluctant to dump one platform for another if I can resolve the issue via another method. The gun shoots fine and is very reliable.

I think I need to get out to the range again and work a bit with my support hand...

Chris

User Tag List