Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Senator Chuck Schumer to introduce body armor bill

Chuck has the luxury of others to protect him.

"Screw you. I got mine."
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Chuck has the luxury of others to protect him.

"Screw you. I got mine."
    And you paid for it, suckers!
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

So, if one does not need body armor, per se. And therefore hasn't spent much time looking at/shopping.

What's a reasonable budget to set aside for something that covers as much of the ballistic spectrum as possible (i.e., from handgun rounds to mid-range rifle, like 7.62 NATO)? Any recommended brands? Carriers for plates? It should be concealable under a jacket/coat, ideally.

Bear in mind this is more than likely going to sit in a closet - forever and maybe be worn on the very small off chance and therefore should in theory be formed of materials that don't degrade over time.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Bear in mind this is more than likely going to sit in a closet - forever and maybe be worn on the very small off chance and therefore should in theory be formed of materials that don't degrade over time.
    I dunno Rob, when I think back to some of the unsafe antics I've seen at public ranges, maybe they could get more use than we think?

Pistol range or class, soft armor, rifle range or class, add on the plate carrier?
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

So, if one does not need body armor, per se. And therefore hasn't spent much time looking at/shopping.

What's a reasonable budget to set aside for something that covers as much of the ballistic spectrum as possible (i.e., from handgun rounds to mid-range rifle, like 7.62 NATO)? Any recommended brands? Carriers for plates? It should be concealable under a jacket/coat, ideally.

I just bought a set of these. Mrgunsngear did a review and shot them up.
    https://www.botach.com/battle-steel-...-lbs-80-thick/

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    I dunno Rob, when I think back to some of the unsafe antics I've seen at public ranges, maybe they could get more use than we think?

Pistol range or class, soft armor, rifle range or class, add on the plate carrier?
    If a person were safety conscious they would wear some type of armor at the range. I'm not seeing a need for it in public where I live but my chances of injury go way up when I go to the range. I'm there almost every week and I don't know 99% of the people I shoot with. Makes sense to me.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I've never had a gun pointed at me in any public setting. I've had guns pointed at me too many times to count at the range.

We had a church outing to a trap range, and after several discrete warnings I finally and very vocally told a guy if he pointed his gun at me one more time I was going to shove it up his ass. Whether or not that was the Christian thing to do, he watched where he pointed it after that.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar

This is a fairly timely topic, as I'd been considering an all-purpose chest rig, and if I do that I might as well get armor with it. But the chances of me waking up, jumping into the closet, and putting on full battle rattle are pretty slim. I gotta admit I will probably never use (as in preemptively wear) armor, but I don't like people telling me what not to do either. So there's certainly a put-that-in-your-pipe-and-smoke-it appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    I've never had a gun pointed at me in any public setting. I've had guns pointed at me too many times to count at the range.

We had a church outing to a trap range, and after several discrete warnings I finally and very vocally told a guy if he pointed his gun at me one more time I was going to shove it up his ass. Whether or not that was the Christian thing to do, he watched where he pointed it after that.
    I've said pretty similar things to someone when I was acting as a range safety on an M9 range. After the 2nd warning I let them know in no uncertain terms what consequence would follow if I was flagged again. While the female 2LT may have been surprised, the message made it through. After the end of her training cycle she thanked me for being professional, teaching her a lot, and caring enough to be honest with her when most wouldn't be.

While in her case it took being pretty blunt, I knew I had made a valuable impact. It's probably one of the most rewarding things I've ever been paid to do and I miss it frequently.

-Cory

I’ve defaulted to one polite ask before I move up in aggression -

“If you point that any where but down range again, you won’t be able to point that thing ever again. Get it?”

20 years I’ve had to say that twice on a public gun range. Both times it worked. First, by making the shooter be more careful. Second by prompting the individual in question to pack up and leave.

That second one complained to the manager who came out to talk to me. I told him I asked politely once and then told him after the second time, that a third time would render him unable to utilize a firearm. The manager laughed, realized I was serious and said, “Probably best he left then.”

A buddy of mine is now retired from a very large TX County SO where he worked as a shooting instructor and range manager for about 10-years. His line was, “You point yours at me, I’ll point mine at you. And I guarantee mine is loaded.” Said it worked well, except for the LT who got a shotgun out of his cruiser once and promptly blew out his back tire with a load of buckshot. That individual was “unsalvageable”. They were happy when he was taken off the street.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 08-20-2019 at 07:28 PM.

User Tag List