Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger Security Six

Nah, I've got mine, and discretionary income is a bit slow. So I saved it for you-boot out a couple of your S&Ws that are just occupying space....

Seriously, it really was a nice, seemingly pristine Security Six-someone on p-f in the area should snap it up. I checked the bore and the pick-up on all 6 chambers. My thought is that the previous owner acquired it and apparently by my cursory examination likely never used it.

Best, Jon

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Nah, I've got mine, and discretionary income is a bit slow. So I saved it for you-boot out a couple of your S&Ws that are just occupying space....
    I'm not local and I also have a Security Six.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I need some closure here people........

Well, someone bought the nice blue Security Six, near me, so I am again vulnerable to the other, more expensive revolver at the same dealer.

On a side note, I just ordered a Weig-A-Tinny Mini mount, for the stainless 6” Security Six that I already have, in the safe. I bought it pre-owned, in very nice condition, except that the previous owner had carried it, in a way that allowed the right side of the rear side to become badly abraded, so it has been needing a new rear sight, anyway; why not try an Aimpoint Micro T-1?
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I have an opportunity to buy a 2.75" barrel Speed Six. Anything particular I should know about this specific model? How usable is the fixed rear sight? The ejector rod is full length, right?

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I have an opportunity to buy a 2.75" barrel Speed Six. Anything particular I should know about this specific model? How usable is the fixed rear sight? The ejector rod is full length, right?
    Solid little tank of a gun. Mine has hundreds and hundreds of full house 125gr .357mags through it, no perceptible wear. Was my first off duty gun, to go with the 4" stainless Security Six I carried at work.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

What is the sight picture on a Speed Six like? How well regulated are the sights on these? What bullet weights are the sights designed for?

Sight picture is the traditional "post inna trough" picture. Neon/fluorescent sight paint on the face of the front sight will significantly speed up sight acquisition and sight picture in general. Ruger fixed-sight .357 revolvers in general are regulated for 158 gr loads in my experience. It's been awhile, but I believe they're regulated for a 6 o'clock hold at 25 yards.

The front sight blade is pinned on its base, so it's reasonably amenable to filing (or replacement) as necessary for your specific bullet weight or load of preference.

There are a number of excellent 125 gr, 145 gr and 158 gr .38 Special/.38 Special +P, and .347 magnum loads commercially easily available. On the -Sixes, I'd counsel the 145 gr or 158 gr choices, avoiding the hotter 125 gr to increase longevity.

Best, Jon

My Service Six hits poa with 125 gr bullets at 15 yards , so maybe a six o’clock hold at 25 with heavier bullets would work. I had a ramp sight filed into a patridge and painted it orange.

I don’t think you can wear out a Six shooting any reasonable amount of magnum loads.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Sight picture is the traditional "post inna trough" picture. Neon/fluorescent sight paint on the face of the front sight will significantly speed up sight acquisition and sight picture in general. Ruger fixed-sight .357 revolvers in general are regulated for 158 gr loads in my experience. It's been awhile, but I believe they're regulated for a 6 o'clock hold at 25 yards.

The front sight blade is pinned on its base, so it's reasonably amenable to filing (or replacement) as necessary for your specific bullet weight or load of preference.

There are a number of excellent 125 gr, 145 gr and 158 gr .38 Special/.38 Special +P, and .347 magnum loads commercially easily available. On the -Sixes, I'd counsel the 145 gr or 158 gr choices, avoiding the hotter 125 gr to increase longevity.

Best, Jon
    Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    My Service Six hits poa with 125 gr bullets at 15 yards , so maybe a six o’clock hold at 25 with heavier bullets would work. I had a ramp sight filed into a patridge and painted it orange.

I don’t think you can wear out a Six shooting any reasonable amount of magnum loads.
    IIRC, the SP101 was first introduced in .38 Special, and Mas Ayoob convinced Bill Ruger to offer it in .357 Magnum. The first run or so did not have the cylinder window enlarged, and was restricted to 125 grain loads or lower due to OAL. (stamped on barrel) I believe that the sights were regulated for 125 grain. I'm not sure about other or subsequent models, but my DAO SP101 is pretty dead on with 135 grain Win Ranger bonded .38 +P at @ 25 yards.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 09-18-2019 at 07:37 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List