Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PPU .38 Special "Handgun Line"158 grain SWCHP

PPU .38 Special "Handgun Line"158 grain SWCHP

This is the filthest shit I've ever fired out of a handgun. Ridiculously dirty--leaves black residue all over everything. It leaded my 640 so bad that rough bits of metal were sticking out of the bore after about 100 rounds. It didn't lead the bore of my Trooper(looser tolerance?), but it left lead all over the cylinder face. I resorted to shooting jacketed bullets to remove the lead from the 640, but I could use some cleaning tips for restoring my mk.III to it's blued beauty.

Next time, I'll stick to the PPU 158 grain RNL. It was just kinda dirty, and the worst thing I had happen in 500 rounds was one partial ignition leaving some unburnt powder in the case.

I would avoid this stuff, unless you want to fill in the rifling grooves of your barrel. No joke--lead was so thick that it was breaking off in eighth-inch rectangular chunks during cleaning.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    This is the filthest shit I've ever fired out of a handgun. Ridiculously dirty--leaves black residue all over everything. It leaded my 640 so bad that rough bits of metal were sticking out of the bore after about 100 rounds. It didn't lead the bore of my Trooper(looser tolerance?), but it left lead all over the cylinder face. I resorted to shooting jacketed bullets to remove the lead from the 640, but I could use some cleaning tips for restoring my mk.III to it's blued beauty.

Next time, I'll stick to the PPU 158 grain RNL. It was just kinda dirty, and the worst thing I had happen in 500 rounds was one partial ignition leaving some unburnt powder in the case.

I would avoid this stuff, unless you want to fill in the rifling grooves of your barrel. No joke--lead was so thick that it was breaking off in eighth-inch rectangular chunks during cleaning.
    I bought half a case of this stuff. I shot one box at my local indoor range that has pretty good ventilation. The result was clouds of smoke, filth and severe leading. I started cleaning the gun on Saturday. After not getting anywhere using a bronze brush on a drill, I gave up and ordered some Chore Boy.

I am not a huge fan of European manufactured .38, especially when they use a lead projectile. After the countless rounds fired in matches, I almost exclusively use Federal brand ammo in my wheelguns specifically because it’s clean.

Hammertime
    Thanks for the warning. Now to get rid of the 900 rounds I have left of this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by EricP View Post
    I bought half a case of this stuff. I shot one box at my local indoor range that has pretty good ventilation. The result was clouds of smoke, filth and severe leading. I started cleaning the gun on Saturday. After not getting anywhere using a bronze brush on a drill, I gave up and ordered some Chore Boy.
    Wow, Chore Boy isn't just for lining crack pipes? It used to be a regular featured item in Durham, NC convenience stores in the 90s, along with the teeny glass "roses."

Unfortunately, I bought a half case of this crappy ammo too. I still have a bunch of the shitty Wolf steel .38s I bought as well. The Wolf is off limits for my 640 (due to me damaging myself and the gun extracting cases) and I can't see using the PPU .38 in our M92, EVER (hell, the bullet might disintegrate before reaching the muzzle). If I figure out a way to clean the Trooper cylinder face, it's a nice target load for that gun. In the 640, I can't see shooting it again unless I am willing to burn 4 cylinders of jacketed ammo for every box of crap.

I really need to get my damn press mounted on my Harbor Freight workbench.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    Thanks for the warning. Now to get rid of the 900 rounds I have left of this stuff...
    Thanks for making me feel better about the 350 I have left.

Seems like we could use a sticky on "deals that aren't deals" in this forum.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Whenever I talk about rifles and 1911s, I always say “life is too short for cheap magazines.” The same rule applies to revolvers, but it’s just that life is too short for cheap ammo.

I just posted a "glowing" review of this crap on sgammo.com, now awaiting moderation.

Another review mentions "keyholing at 7 yards."

Yet another reason to get batteries for my calipers. Has anyone checked the bullet diameter of this stuff?
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Whenever I talk about rifles and 1911s, I always say “life is too short for cheap magazines.” The same rule applies to revolvers, but it’s just that life is too short for cheap ammo.
    Hey, I'm a schoolteacher. I can't afford things like "nice target ammo" or "dignity."

Particularly when I blow my money on "list" ammo for self defense.
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I just posted a "glowing" review of this crap on sgammo.com, now awaiting moderation.

Another review mentions "keyholing at 7 yards."

Yet another reason to get batteries for my calipers. Has anyone checked the bullet diameter of this stuff?
    Interesting. I though I saw keyholing. I was blaming the J frame.

User Tag List