Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Music download or stream

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I honestly can't remember the last time I streamed music but when I did it was Pandora. I converted all my CDs to MP3s and they're all in my phone.

When I'm at work I actually listen to the radio.
    This... Except I never listen to the radio.

My tastes in music have yet to hit the streaming world though so that factors in.

Still, I am old school. I prefer albums to tracks or playlists and I want to own what I like.
    "A man's character is his fate."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    This... Except I never listen to the radio.
    There is a listener supported Christian radio station in Colorado Springs that plays nothing but instrumental easy listening from 7 p.m. till 5 a.m. every night. It makes for excellent background music at work. No announcers, no commercials, nothing but a station identification every hour.

Still, I am old school. I prefer albums to tracks or playlists and I want to own what I like.
    This.

Downloads and playlist can be lost but I still have CDs that I bought in the 90s and if (when) my phone goes tits up I can load them right back onto it.
    Last edited by Cypher; 08-20-2019 at 05:51 AM.

There is a listener supported Christian radio station in Colorado Springs that plays nothing but instrumental easy listening from 7 p.m. till 5 a.m. every night. It makes for excellent background music at work. No announcers, no commercials, nothing but a station identification every hour.
    Sounds good. Commercials are something I can no longer tolerate. Same for DJ chatter ;-)

I love to work to any kind of music that drowns out the distractions but does not require me to really listen - I keep a lot of instrumental styles handy to choose from depending on my mood and the work at hand

Downloads and playlist can be lost but I still have CDs that I bought in the 90s and if (when) my phone goes tits up I can load them right back onto it.
    About five years ago, I converted my entire CD collection to lossless... and then transcoded the flacs to mp3s for listening on various devices. Now all I buy are lossless digital releases... unless, of course, CDs are the only format available. I've only bought maybe 3 discs in the past year or two, though.

I keep my lossless collection backed up twice over. I have a lot of things I simply could not get again if they were lost.
    "A man's character is his fate."

Site Supporter
    My tastes in music have yet to hit the streaming world though so that factors in.
    If Amazon has the artist, you can "stream" a "radio station" that focuses on the artist and other artists in the same genre.

I've discovered a lot of new music that way, and rediscovered a lot of great oldies.

The "Earth, Wind and Fire" station has been the poolside go-to this summer.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    If Amazon has the artist, you can "stream" a "radio station" that focuses on the artist and other artists in the same genre.

I've discovered a lot of new music that way, and rediscovered a lot of great oldies.

My experience, (last time within the past year), was that Amazon's algorithms were weak in this regard and didn't have nearly the depth of the Spotify (catalog) "radio" stations when you put in a particular artist. Theirs were more "canned" by comparison. Where Spotify would really pull up some interesting and relatively exotic / esoteric artists, Amazon came up with pablum.

(I don't doubt that the algorithm will get better over time but for me it sent me rushing back to Spotify. I've tried Amazon Unlimited at length a couple times but in my experience it just doesn't compare. Obviously, mileage may vary here.)
    Last edited by blues; 08-20-2019 at 07:56 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar

Apple’s got the same thing. Like you, I’ve found new artists in several genres I wouldn’t have ever heard of otherwise.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    My experience, (last time within the past year), was that Amazon's algorithms were weak in this regard and didn't have nearly the depth of the Spotify (catalog) "radio" stations when you put in a particular artist. Theirs were more "canned" by comparison. Where Spotify would really pull up some interesting and relatively exotic / esoteric artists, Amazon came up with pablum.

(I don't doubt that the algorithm will get better over time but for me it sent me rushing back to Spotify. I've tried Amazon Unlimited at length a couple times but in my experience it just doesn't compare. Obviously, mileage may vary here.)
    My oldest would agree with you that Spotify is much better at this... but... if you're into some esoteric stuff, I wonder whether it could be easier to find on Amazon.... (?).

Separately, I have my phone/car set up so that when I start the car, the Amazon app starts playing where it left off. I don't know whether you can do this with Spotify/Pandora but commercial radio and Sirius drive me crazy. And, if I'm playing downloaded playlists I don't use data. My plan discounts me $10/month if I use less than 2GB, which nearly pays for the family music subscription. Last month I used >1GB (I'm on wifi all day) and my Spotify-using-kid used >56GB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

My oldest would agree with you that Spotify is much better at this... but... if you're into some esoteric stuff, I wonder whether it could be easier to find on Amazon.... (?).

Separately, I have my phone/car set up so that when I start the car, the Amazon app starts playing where it left off. I don't know whether you can do this with Spotify/Pandora but commercial radio and Sirius drive me crazy. And, if I'm playing downloaded playlists I don't use data. My plan discounts me $10/month if I use less than 2GB, which nearly pays for the family music subscription. Last month I used >1GB (I'm on wifi all day) and my Spotify-using-kid used >56GB
    I don't have a family plan, just the Spotify Premium which comes out to about $10.60 including tax monthly. With it I also get Hulu (with ads) included.

If I have bluetooth enabled on my phone, Spotify links up immediately with my vehicle and starts playing my playlist, album, station, whatever. Downloaded selections use no data. I only get 3 gigs of data per month on my phone plan but that's enough for 2 hours a day for a month if I decide to stream in the vehicle. (Roughly 50 megs per hour)

I won't say my tastes are esoteric so much as deep in some areas of music...this is where Spotify shined for me. An artist that Spotify brought up on its own via algorithm, for example, wasn't even an option to elect on Amazon's "Music Unlimited". I found this issue a few times in various genres.

Anyway, they're both excellent, Spotify is just more excellent for my purposes. I don't mean to imply it's always the best option for everyone.
    Last edited by blues; 08-20-2019 at 08:53 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Spotify has the best catalog, especially for some oddball stuff. The family plan is what I've got. I'll also download playlists to my phone for when I'm not on wifi and don't wanna use data. This is pretty easy to manage.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List