Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's the video games

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I actually kinda wonder about this. The popular music that's in distribution for kids and teenagers has consisted of zero percent testosterone for at least the last 15 years. When I was in my angsty early teen years, there was GNR, Metallica, the Crue, AC/DC, Aerosmith, etc. They seriously helped. Still do.
    I listen to a wide range of music but the music I listen to most and am the most fond of is metal, thrash, doom, sludge, black you name it. I go to shows and hang out with allot of people in that "culture". I gotta say I have never met a nicer and more emotionally stable group of people than i have in the metal community. I understand there are always shit-birds but as a whole the metal community is fucking solid. funny enough there are allot of similarities in personality between those who enjoy metal and those who listen to allot of classical symphonic music. you are correct tho, popular music is pretty damn vanilla now a days. im going to look down my nose and raise my pinky for a sec here and say if the mainstream popular music is the only music you listen to than you might not be a big music fan, and its probably not the medium that speaks to you to provide your emotional outlet anyway.
    Last edited by snow white; 08-19-2019 at 09:59 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    I listen to a wide range of music but the music I listen to most and am the most fond of is metal, thrash, doom, sludge, black you name it. I go to shows and hang out with allot of people in that "culture". I gotta say I have never met a nicer and more emotionally stable group of people than i have in the metal community. I understand there are always shit-birds but as a whole the metal community is fucking solid. funny enough there are allot of similarities in personality between those who enjoy metal and those who listen to allot of classical symphonic music.
    Totally. Metal heads also tend to be above average intelligence. Some are f'ing brilliant.

I want to get my godson into metal when he's a little older.

im going to look down my nose and raise my pinky for a sec here and say if the mainstream popular music is the only music you listen to than you might not be a big music fan, and its probably not the medium that speaks to you to provide your emotional outlet anyway.
    I don't listen to it much, it's just the stuff I hear on the radio in stores, restaurants, and when trying to find something to listen to in a rental car.

At home, it's usually Pandora; I appreciate the variety I'd never find just digging on my own. I have stations for anything but country, pretty much.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 08-19-2019 at 10:21 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I don't listen to it much, it's just the stuff I hear on the radio in stores, restaurants, and when trying to find something to listen to in a rental car.

At home, it's usually Pandora; I appreciate the variety I'd never find just digging on my own. I have stations for anything but country, pretty much.
    i was using the universal you, not talking about you specifically, I dont want to sound like a dick lol

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    i was using the universal you, not talking about you specifically, I dont want to sound like a dick lol
    Too late. Dick.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Student
    The popular music that's in distribution for kids and teenagers has consisted of zero percent testosterone for at least the last 15 years.

For the record, I am not an advocate for any particular genre, as I do not listen to music when driving, at home, or at work.

At least one individual has remarked that I must be mentally ill when disclosing that.
    Last edited by Yung; 08-20-2019 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Yup. It’s the video games. At any point me and every friend I grew up with who played Contra and Doom are bound to slaughter every one around us.
    Doom is small potatoes compared to the FAR more realistic games that came afterward. I spent most of college and quite a few years afterward playing a TON of Counter-Strike, and yet somehow I've managed to avoid going on a killing spree.

Even if any given piece of media can be considered to be an influence, I have a very hard time believing that an individual who would not otherwise commit mass violence would be "pushed over the edge" by a video game, movie or song.

User Tag List